My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a GT6000 series this weekend with 46" deck. I have a 4x8 trailer (Harbor Freight special) rated for 1160 lbs. Will the GT6000 fit on it? It has hauled my LT1000 with 42" with tons of room to spare.

Am I doing something reasonable or do I need to rent a 5X8 trailer?
Planning to buy some 1000 lb rated ramps and flip the trailer ball on the truck so it will be a straight shot up the trailer....

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is it one of the folding 4x8s with no 'side rails'? If so, definite YES any riding mower/garden tractor will fit.

I would not go the trouble of flipping a tow ball in the drawbar for this job.. it should push up easy enough with 2 people unless its on flat tires that won't hold air long enough to roll it up.

Or, if you want to make a very cheap upgrade to your trailer for purposes of hauling lawn equipment that doesn't run, you can get a boat trailer winch for a bit over $20 that will handle this type of work. Normally they'd be attached with some decent little bolts but im not kidding when i say 2 big self-tapping screws or 4 smaller ones right into top of the trailer tongue is enough to pull a broken riding mower just fine.

Of course there is always the come-along which is only $20-30 too, if you don't already have one.

Also remember if you need to hook a come-along or even like a 2" ratchet strap to something at the front of the trailer to pull the mower up and there aren't any convenient places to hook to on the front of the trailer, just hook it to the safety chains of the trailer and pull from those. (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it one of the folding 4x8s with no 'side rails'? If so, definite YES any riding mower/garden tractor will fit.

I would not go the trouble of flipping a tow ball in the drawbar for this job.. it should push up easy enough with 2 people unless its on flat tires that won't hold air long enough to roll it up.

Or, if you want to make a very cheap upgrade to your trailer for purposes of hauling lawn equipment that doesn't run, you can get a boat trailer winch for a bit over $20 that will handle this type of work. Normally they'd be attached with some decent little bolts but im not kidding when i say 2 big self-tapping screws or 4 smaller ones right into top of the trailer tongue is enough to pull a broken riding mower just fine.

Of course there is always the come-along which is only $20-30 too, if you don't already have one.

Also remember if you need to hook a come-along or even like a 2" ratchet strap to something at the front of the trailer to pull the mower up and there aren't any convenient places to hook to on the front of the trailer, just hook it to the safety chains of the trailer and pull from those. (y)
It is one of the folding trailers with no side rails, but I made side walls for it. Here it is hauling about 1000 lbs of trash...did not seem overweight at all. I did weld all the joints as well and I don't fold it anymore...just stays flat.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I will bring my come-along just in case. Good idea.

The machine I hope to get: 917.25148
No idea on the weight, but I think less than 800#
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
I would have purchased that heavier rated one if I did it over again. Was living in town on a postage stamp lot, so I needed to fold it and store it when not in use. Now it stays unfolded with plenty of room.
My 1700lbs one folds as well. I bought mine lightly used for $350. Guy hauled his 2 kayaks .a quarter mile to the lake with it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If your trailer is maintained, with bearings and axles in good shape, should handle it OK.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used to have a folding 4x8. I didn't weld it flat but i did deck it with 2 layers of plywood so that it was fairly solid. I put that one through some stuff. I accidentally overloaded it to 1700lbs of scrap metal and didn't find out until i got the receipt from the scrap scales! That bent the axle a little bit, but other than accelerated tire wear it was still usable. At this point i use a 5x8 with folding rampgate which i'm almost in love with. The folding rampgate is nice for loading wheeled stuff but the benefit i didn't see coming was that with the rampgate up i can see it in my rear view mirror which makes it VERY easy to know what the trailer is doing when backing it up. Usually i can back it up just by looking in my rear view mirror and not even have to use the side mirrors or turn my neck around. I also use it as a 'yard cart' to carry and move things around on 5 acres because everything can pull it, golf cart, riding mower, tractors, truck etc.

A small trailer light enough to be moved by hand is a very handy thing to have. (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only comment, looks like your sides will need to come off or the deck needs to come off.
I set up the sidewalls to allow for a full 48" width wall to wall. The deck is a 46" so it might barely fit with the discharge chute up and taking into account the deck shell thickness. However, the walls are easy enough to take off and throw in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to have a folding 4x8. I didn't weld it flat but i did deck it with 2 layers of plywood so that it was fairly solid. I put that one through some stuff. I accidentally overloaded it to 1700lbs of scrap metal and didn't find out until i got the receipt from the scrap scales! That bent the axle a little bit, but other than accelerated tire wear it was still usable. At this point i use a 5x8 with folding rampgate which i'm almost in love with. The folding rampgate is nice for loading wheeled stuff but the benefit i didn't see coming was that with the rampgate up i can see it in my rear view mirror which makes it VERY easy to know what the trailer is doing when backing it up. Usually i can back it up just by looking in my rear view mirror and not even have to use the side mirrors or turn my neck around. I also use it as a 'yard cart' to carry and move things around on 5 acres because everything can pull it, golf cart, riding mower, tractors, truck etc.

A small trailer light enough to be moved by hand is a very handy thing to have. (y)
I use this trailer everywhere on and off road for our 7 acres farm here. It is towed by the JD garden tractor and hopefully soon to be GT6000. Last time it hauled manure from field to forest area. Worked nicely.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Part of my comment had to do with clearance, part of it was tie down points. If you have tie down points that you can get to with the sides on, then it may work with them in place. Gonna be tight though.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Jeezum Crow @Steve Urquell .

That there folding trailer and CC look like they just got outta the shower. Powah Showah ... ;)

Renster

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
10,534 Posts
Jeezum Crow @Steve Urquell .

That there folding trailer and CC look like they just got outta the shower. Powah Showah ... ;)

Renster
That was the second washing the GT got. I couldn't get it fully clean in my pickup bed and bought the trailer. It was nasty after sitting in a barn for 10 years. Mouse house stanking grungy mess.

I recently made a couple of flag holders for the trailer as I could not see it behind my truck. I haven't pulled it since so I don't know how effective they will be for backing.

Reactions: Renster of N.H.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think the 4x8 trailer is enjoying a resurgence as more and people are driving around trucks with beds so high off the ground that they find it more practical to tow a 4x8 BEHIND a truck bed, than to actually load things into the truck bed.

But this will probably be addressed soon when 'loading ramps' come out of the factory tailgate just like everything else seems to come out of a factory tailgate these days. What you want, steps, railing, open in the middle, open at the side, backup camera, power up, power down??? Just put loading ramps on that list, im sure it's no problem.

In 10 years we'll be able to buy salvage title pickups because the tailgate got stolen and since the Transformer Tailgate was $8000 it totalled the truck. But the question is, without a tailgate to make us coffee, is a truck even worth having?! :unsure:

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

I bought 12v winch when on sale. It can be powered by one of those lightweight booster packs if it has manual override.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts