My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a new thread for this project, the old thread was named fuel pump push rod question. After hearing what others on this forum had to say and doing more research on this forum and other places on the internet I believe my problem is due to a broken cam gear. I will probably not have much to add to some of the very professional looking posts on this subject other than asking questions that I will have and others with limited knowledge like me will have. My biggest project up to this point on my 345 is changing the water pump and doing my own maintenance. I also do my own maintenance on my cars and have done my own break jobs so I consider myself somewhat machanically inclined. Perhaps I will change my mind after this project:i_praying . I'm sure I will have lots of questions. My first question is has anyone started this project and then wished they hadn't?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the site it always helps to see good pictures. I have my 1st question. It's the PTO clutch, I can't get it off. I sprayed the shaft last night and somemore today and just borrowed a puller from my neighbor but I'm done for today. My question is, there is a pulley at the bottom and pulley at the top and the clutch. Does everything come off at once including the pully at the top or does it come out in more than one piece? Where is the correct spot to place the puller jaws?

Thanks
Overmyhead

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"Where is the correct spot to place the puller jaws? "

There is none. Typically the bottom pulley is part of the electric clutch but not the one you mention on top.

I use an air chisel with a blunt bit to drive from behind. Before that, I used to put two 1" bars on edge behind the clutch bolted together on each side of the crankshaft/hub and pulled with a 2 jaw puller or a bar puller with a long bolt going down, one on each side.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Where is the correct spot to place the puller jaws? "

There is none. Typically the bottom pulley is part of the electric clutch but not the one you mention on top.

I use an air chisel with a blunt bit to drive from behind. Before that, I used to put two 1" bars on edge behind the clutch bolted together on each side of the crankshaft/hub and pulled with a 2 jaw puller or a bar puller with a long bolt going down, one on each side.

Walt Conner
Walt,

I can't picture what you mean. How do you get behind the clutch with an air chisel and i can't picture how you can get a 1" bar on edge to fit above the clutch. I'm talking about a JD345 is that what your talking about?

Overmyhead

·
Registered
203 Posts
don't pull on the bottom pulley you can ruin the pto clutch. the top pulley comes off seperate and is usually worse than the pto.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't pull on the bottom pulley you can ruin the pto clutch. the top pulley comes off seperate and is usually worse than the pto.
You are so right the top pulley is a bear or atleast in my case. I got the clutch of using a 3 jaw puller but the top pulley is not coming off. I have sprayed it with penetrating oil also, maybe a different brand would do a better job. I can sure use some suggestions on what I can try. The pulley is going to need replacing so anything goes as long as I don't bend the shaft. I want to post a picture showing where I placed the puller jaws since I haven't seen anything like that posted. First I need to figure out how to make my picture file smaller so I can post it.

Overmyhead

·
Registered
203 Posts
Soak it with PB Blaster. put the straw on it and try to get in on top of the pulley to run down inside. give it some nice taps the opposite direction might help loosen it up. once you get the pto off the top pulley isn't that bad if you have a 3 jaw puller.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I'm not sure if that was meant with the attitude that it seams, but if you don't have one try your nearest rental center or a mechanic friend. My entire set cost me $50 and was like new, I bought it because I was tired of bending $30 pulleys.
Dan

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
This is very likely a steel pulley. Drill 2 holes oversize for 5/16" bolts, one on each side of the crankshaft and out far enough from the hub to get a nut on behind. Drill matching holes in a flat bar, place bar over end of crankshaft, run two blots thru holes in bar and pulley with nut behind and tighen evenly. This would have worked to remove the pulley without damaging it as the two holes will have no affect on the operation of the pulley.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure if that was meant with the attitude that it seams, but if you don't have one try your nearest rental center or a mechanic friend. My entire set cost me $50 and was like new, I bought it because I was tired of bending $30 pulleys.
Dan
Didn't mean to be a smartie. I thought they were a lot more expensive than that. I'm still not sure if it would help because there is only about 3/8" of space between the pully and the frame. Do they come with the attachment for pulling pulleys? I picked up some PB Blaster and I'm going out to see if I can get it off now that it's set overnight after being sprayed with another brand of penetrating oil. If it doesn't I'm going to spray it with the Blaster and let it set some more. Thanks for your help. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a porta power, maybe I'll find a deal like you got.

Overmyhead

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is very likely a steel pulley. Drill 2 holes oversize for 5/16" bolts, one on each side of the crankshaft and out far enough from the hub to get a nut on behind. Drill matching holes in a flat bar, place bar over end of crankshaft, run two blots thru holes in bar and pulley with nut behind and tighen evenly. This would have worked to remove the pulley without damaging it as the two holes will have no affect on the operation of the pulley.

Walt Conner
Walt that is a great idea, I wish I would have known that before I bent the pully up but it will probable work even better now that I have a little more room to get behind the pulley. If I don't get it off after a little more trying I'll try your idea.

Thanks
Overmyhead

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walt,

I'm going to try your idea. I don't have any flat bar, where is the best place to buy a piece and what thickness do you recommend so I don't have to worry about it bending? Could I cut up a pry bar and use that?

Overmyhead

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
Walt,

I'm going to try your idea. I don't have any flat bar, where is the best place to buy a piece and what thickness do you recommend so I don't have to worry about it bending? Could I cut up a pry bar and use that?

Overmyhead
I have used this often and save the ones I make for reuse if I get a similar size pulley to pull. I used 1/2" thick by 1-1/4" wide as that is what I had handy. I grew up on a farm and have always tinkered with stuff, lawn mowers, engines, etc, so I have accumulated scrape of various description. If you have a junk yard near, a car tinker, lawn mower tinker, they may have something you can use. Some hardware stores sell 3' long pcs. of steel.

IF I were starting over, I think I would use something like 2 pcs. of 1/4" thick X 3/4" - 1" wide, turn them on edge with a maybe a 3/8" spacer between them, bolt them together so 5/16" bolts would go down between the two spaced bars, washers on them of course, and that way it could be made 8" or so long and fit a wide variety of different size pulleys or pull other things.

Would not use one of those thin pry bars as they are likely tempered, very hard to drill and would not be bend anyway.

I will be off line for a few days.

Walt Conner

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
just wanted to say good job on the final diagnosis overmyhead and good luck with the repairs hope all goes well with it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What the heck, I havev't been able to get the pulley off yet. I drilled 2 holes in the pulley and got a 1" piece of square bar from a friend and drilled 2 holes in that. On my 1st attempt I striped the threads on the bolts I was using. I then bought 2 hardness 5 3/8" bolts and snaped one of the off. I'm I missing something here? I don't see any set screws or anything else that is holding the pulley on. If I use heat just how do I know when I should stop applying heat?

Overmyhead

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After writing the last post I went back out and continued working on taking the pulley off. After heating it up I still couldn't get it off. I tightened the nuts as much as i dared to and then using a hammer I hit the bottom of the flat bar I was using (several times) right under the engine shaft. I tightened the nuts again and did the same. Each time i hit the flat bar with the hammer I was able to tighten the nuts more so I knew I was making head-way. Finally I got the pulley off.

Now I moved on to removing the bolts holding the engine on. The last bolt would not come out and finally broke off in the engine so I have that to deal with before putting the engine back on. Any suggestions on how to take care of that would be appreciated as all your help is.

Overmyhead

1 - 20 of 36 Posts