My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bred the herd this year using an AI bull. The first calf was born a day or two ago, but we couldn't find it until today. Once we found it the calf got up and ran over a hill in some tall grass with tree's and brush lining the fence line. Spent half of the day trying to find it again with no luck. Hopefully the mother can call it out soon.

While searching for the calf another cow started calving so I ran it up into the corral before the calf dropped so we could keep an eye on it. Good thing, the calf came out with the sack still over its head and most of the body. I jump over the fence and opened up the sack and started trying to clear the airway so it could breath. That wasn't working so dad hopped in and we picked the calf up by the hind legs and swung it like a pendulum which cleared the fluid from its mouth and nose. That got it to start breathing and the mother took it from there. I don't think this one would have made it if we weren't right there to jump into action.

I don't have pics of the first calf yet, but did get some of the second which is a large bull calf.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Calf #3 arrived around 5 pm today. Its a Heifer The cow was up for water and dropped it in the corral. I closed up the corral and came back in a couple hours after it was up walking and got the mother and calf in the holding pen where we will leave them for a couple days. After that we checked on the rest of the herd in the pasture and found calf #1 was back. Thats always a relief to find they didn't become coyote bait. We have one more thats due anytime and then 3-4 weeks the last one is due.

The first 3 pics are calf #3 and the last is calf #1.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,814 Posts
Been hoping you would have calves coming one of these days. Nice to see you are on track.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure beats last years mess doesn't it. Some good looking calves to boot.
Yep, Make's a big difference in the warmer, dryer weather. We also had better luck/results with the AI breeding this year. :thanku:

Been hoping you would have calves coming one of these days. Nice to see you are on track.
:thanku: JP. It will be nicer this year getting them all on the ground in a short period rather than being on calf watch all year long.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,814 Posts
Much better weather than last year. AI really helps to get things happening in a smaller time frame. Get the calving over with and move on to bigger and better things. Like putting a tractor back together. :tango_face_smile:
With the nicer weather you MAY not have to house a mom and calf in the new tractor shed.:tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the cows this morning and found calf #4, a little bull. One more to go that is due around June 18th. Looks like he is part Racoon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much better weather than last year. AI really helps to get things happening in a smaller time frame. Get the calving over with and move on to bigger and better things. Like putting a tractor back together. :tango_face_smile:
With the nicer weather you MAY not have to house a mom and calf in the new tractor shed.:tango_face_wink:
Hope to have the Farmall super C going in the next day or 2. Then maybe start back on the H, though hay season is fast approaching so may be prepping equipment after the C is running. I stole the shed from the cows after last years winter calving so it would only be fair if they took it back.:tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got calf #1 in the corral with the mother. The calf looked thin and the mother was kicking, pushing, or stepping away every time the calf would try to feed. We tried several things without success so we put the cow in the squeeze chute, pulled the sides up tight, opened the side panel, and got the calf on the cow. That kept the mother still until the calf was filled up. This is a first calf Heifer and sometimes they can be a problem. Might have to try a set of Hobbles if the cow doesn't straighten up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Growing up we had a Holstein that was a pain to milk and would not let its calf suck. We shoved her in with her calf and three other hungry calves. She ended up raising all four. it took less than five minutes for her to determine there was no escape.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Growing up we had a Holstein that was a pain to milk and would not let its calf suck. We shoved her in with her calf and three other hungry calves. She ended up raising all four. it took less than five minutes for her to determine there was no escape.
That would do it. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The last calf for this year was born yesterday afternoon. Its a bull from one of our biggest and best cows. She keeps all of her calves tucked in tight to her like this one is.

We ended up selling our first calf to a couple that live a few miles from us. The cow, a first calf heifer rejected the calf and we couldn't get it to take care of the calf without forcing it to feed. The couple that bought the calf have several cows that will accept just about any calf the stick in with them so it should work out well for the calf and us since we won't have to bottle feed it for months.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Now that you don't have a bull problem time to cull that rejecter and save a heifer calf. She probably does not realize the hamburger she would make. If she continues the rejection mode someone will do it. No reason to keep her around unless you plan on buying a wet nurse to raise her calf each year.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that you don't have a bull problem time to cull that rejecter and save a heifer calf. She probably does not realize the hamburger she would make. If she continues the rejection mode someone will do it. No reason to keep her around unless you plan on buying a wet nurse to raise her calf each year.
That's the plan. She either goes for beef or sold at the auction later this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts