My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your here I want to know how exactly did you stick that tractor this morning? Or did it stall out? Looked like it said X728 as I went by at 60mph.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
LOL! It's not possible, couldn't have been stuck!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brett,

Caught my eye at the last minute, Very close to a major highway early in the morning with the back tires in a 2 ft ditch no one in sight.. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
If the mud is deep enough, you can stick them. When you do, you need something bigger with a winch to drag it out. A 4WD that is stuck is stuck! We we stuck our 4WD farm tractors, we went for the Cat with tracks and a winch to drag it out. Wet weather springs in the fields in the spring were a perfect trap for hanging a 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This guy was in his yard! A car would have pulled the tractor out even in park, the tractor was not buried at all. I know my F150 4x4 would have drug it out without spinning a tire. Any Garden Tractor 4x4 or not is not going to be stuck for long if a car or truck with a chain is nearby on dry ground. I would NOT have left my Toy near that busy of a road unattended for long either!

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I stuck my old 445 several time in my yard. It wasn't 4WD but in that mud, it would not have made any difference because once the tractor sinks and the axles are laying in the mud, the wheels become irrelavent. Of coarse I was installing a sprinkler system after a rain storm in the Illinois clay where the water just stands in the clay and does not soak in. Once I broke through the sod, I was into the very high Illinois water table. My choice was to wait a week for it to evaporate or get on with it. I used my Jeep to drag is out each time. Since a Jeep is bigger than a 445, my formula remains valid.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
I stuck my old 445 several time in my yard. It wasn't 4WD but in that mud, it would not have made any difference because once the tractor sinks and the axles are laying in the mud, the wheels become irrelavent. Of coarse I was installing a sprinkler system after a rain storm in the Illinois clay where the water just stands in the clay and does not soak in. Once I broke through the sod, I was into the very high Illinois water table. My choice was to wait a week for it to evaporate or get on with it. I used my Jeep to drag is out each time. Since a Jeep is bigger than a 445, my formula remains valid.
I was just thinking about this last night, and wondered if anyone made a small trencher that would attach to a 3pt and PTO on a GT. What were you using to install the irrigation system?

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
GroundSaw-Trencher Hawk Bilt Ran off of Cub Cadet Narrow frames and John Deere Fender Deck 110 & 112 as well as the 140 and Many other Brands in the 1960's and 70's
Hawk-Bilt Corp
Vinton, Iowa
Hawk Bilt was absorbed by Farmhand, later purchased by AGCO.
:thThumbsU

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
Moondawg, I rented a trencher. It was a Ditch Witch. It worked great and dug the trenches in a couple of hours. I took a 4 hour rental and it was back in time to avoid extra charges.

Some Home Depots rent them. I have not seen one for a 3ph and the problem is that you need it once and then you don't use it again.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled my JD 265 around 1000 feet with NO tires or wheels on it when it died. It now resides in the weeds out back until I decide what to do with it. I drug that GT with the trusty X700. :drunkie:

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
Awesome info. Thanks guys. Foxtail, I did the same thing when I was putting in my downspouts and sump pump outlet. Figured I would probably do the same thing if I decide to do irrigation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts