My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the HT20 was made for 5 years so parts are probably easy enough to find right.

Any issues with the Sunstrand hydro?. I am used to the Eaton 12 in my 1886.
Any comments, compliments, complaints about the HT20 would be much appreciated :thanku:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Ed

In all my years of Bolens large frame collecting ..and reading info here and other Bolens sites .. The only thing I know is that .. They are loved and hated :fing20:

I have 3 HT-20's and never had any problems with the Hydros .. The one thing bad that sticks in my mind .. is that many say the bull-gear is the weak link in them .. Ive heard that MANY times over the years

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have four HT20's and they have there little problems, but all minor. All the bolens line of tractors are great and the performance and reliabity all depends on the past owner or present. All in all there a hard tractor to beat.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Ed, If it was me, I would go with an HT 23 rather than a 20. The 23 has an eaton 11 with 2 speed ranges which is a great feature. I know where there is an HT 23 for sale if you are interested in the guy's contact info.

Jason

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ok here's my 2 cents.The HT20 is a great trator lot's of power easy to use and so on.Now the bad the sundstrand is a pices of junk.Bull gears are a very weak point.You can check the bull gear by lifting the rear tireas off the ground hold one tire still and see how much the other tire turns.If in good shape should only move about a 1/4-1/2 inch if tire turns a half turn then it is going out.It is very hard to find the bull gear but it is the same gear that is in the QS QT16.It is only rated for around 25hp so is close to its match.Now this is the same pump that is used in alot of tractors such as the john deere 400 alot of the massey 1655 and so on.Problem is only the bolens HT20 runs it as a right hand pump all others is a left hand operation.No don't get me wrong i love the HT20 just giving you the info i know.As of right now my HT20 is out of order because of a trans/hydro problem.

·
5,525 Posts
I like the HT20 I have wish I had more. The sundstrand that was in the 1886-05, 1886-06 ht 18, and the HT20 will spin posy well the eaton 12 will not.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hope this works...pics of the bull gear re-work. It's on Flickr.http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624632644721/

The first pic shows just how far the wear pattern can go. Half the bolts are worn away from the gear teeth grinding away at them. The fix was to have slots milled ninety degrees to the original location. A longer shaft was put in place to engage the new bearing blocks. The original pinion shaft had flats on it's ends and would ride on the bull ring casting. The contact area was pretty small for the intense pressure placed there. Although it did last decades! This fix provides a greater bearing surface of the shaft inside the steel block, and of coarse, maximum contact on the bull gear itself. This was done a few years ago and the machine has led a hard life, almost daily doing lots of FEL work. It carries a box blade with with weights, fluid filled ag tires and cast wheel weights. There's close to 700#'s of weight just there, not to mention the weight of the fel and it's frame, the tractor itself and the load in the bucket. Much of it's work is on pretty hilly terrain. After all that...there is no change in the 'clocking' from one wheel to the other as was mentioned, telling me there is no wear. The 20's are a serious work horse. I can only imagine how much better the 23's are.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thank you guys for all the information. I have something to go on now as far as if I decide to get one.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
By the way, Ed-nh, I did this to both of my HT-20's. And am very pleased with the outcome. Another approach would be to contact Don or Pete Duff. They most probably have replacement gears, and I believe they can also do the machining to fix a worn one. Good guys to work with. Their e-mail is: [email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
well Ive had lots of dif large garden and farm tractors and I love my HT20, later models had same trans as HT23 and PS, oil cooler so not much more left but engine. but I always liked the Sundstrand as Wheelhorse and others used it with no probs.
Mitch

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, Ed-nh, I did this to both of my HT-20's. And am very pleased with the outcome. Another approach would be to contact Don or Pete Duff. They most probably have replacement gears, and I believe they can also do the machining to fix a worn one. Good guys to work with. Their e-mail is: [email protected]

Thank you very much for all your info. I have spoken with them in the past in regards to my Eaton 12 hydro and they told me what to do for the inspection when I had it apart. I even sent pictures to them for analysis. They are good people for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts