My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California has become the first state to abandon gas powered lawn equipment. It takes effect in 2024. This includes all gas powered equipment. Lawn mowers, lawn tractors, gas blowers, gas trimmers. Anything that runs off gas and probably diesel. Looks like this is coming because they want cars, light, medium and heavy trucks by 2035.

They already abandon the use of gas blowers in DC.

I wonder what the lawn companies and homeowners are going to do? Everything has to run off a battery.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
613 Posts
They are going to be charging their toxic batteries every hour for the next 6-8 hours so they can try to get their work finished before the battery dies again after an hour, then they can pollute their landfills with their toxic batteries every year when they have to be replaced due to their failures as long as they didn't catch fire first when they were being charged like the majority of them do, all the while hoping they are not suffering another electrical 'Brown-out' so they can be charged along with the entire state charging them all at the same time.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
613 Posts
Yea really on the golf courses, they are going to be overgrown and close up or they will be hurting, especially when you figure how much the electric mowers are going to cost them plus all the spare replacement batteries that cost as much as the machine itself.
God forbid when they get their electric bills from all the batteries being charged.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does this still allow use of gas e.g. propane, LNG or hydrogen operated equipment?

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,929 Posts
It doesn't appear to ban the use of already sold machines, just the sale of new ones. Propane and LNG just produce fewer emissions so they likely would be banned, hydrogen powered probably wouldn't.

You would probably have to read the text of the actual legislation if you want a more definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'll never understand California's mindset.

·
Super Moderator
13,658 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, discuss the subject not the politics behind it.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Always find it quite ironic that the regulating agency in California has the acronym CARB which stands for California Air Resources Board. They are the ones responsible for reducing air pollution and other. California is the only state allowed under the federal Clean Air Act to set it's own standards. Other states can adopt them, but most follow the federal regulations.

I lived in northern California for 8 years, 1986 to 1994, outside of San Francisco. Spent 3 years as a plant electrician at a steel mill and the other 5 years as a field service tech in medical & biotech equipment.

5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are claiming the gas powered lawn equipment is putting out too much emissions. Two years isn't enough time for these zero turn mower companies to make an electric mower I don't think. Its going to be interesting how many states follow. Most battery operated mowers now are only a 42 inch and run for only an hour. Lawn companies and golf courses need something that runs 12 hours a day.

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
116 Posts
The toughest issue is probably weight as a current LiIon auto battery of 50 KWhours or so should run a mower all day but just the battery would weigh 800+- pounds. Silicon solid batteries are on the horizon but not likely to be available for mowers by 2024. They would be lighter for the same output as their energy density is better. If the electric motor and drive along with the fuel delete saved weight it might prove possible. Technology gets pushed forward by necessity, even if that is from regulation. It’s hard to argue against cleaner IMHO.
Here is a cheapie homeowner Zero turn available today, mows 3 acres. Build a big battery commercial size with a real vehicle type battery and have at it. RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Battery Electric Riding Zero Turn Mower-RY48ZTR100 - The Home Depot
And here is an 8 hour commercial available now:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Some random thoughts and questions about the technical feasibility of mass electric machines and vehicles.
I'd guess a pretty steep curve on new chargers and almost constant charging of batteries will soon develop. I hear the grid is in very poor shape and there are already indications of inadequate supply of power as it is. I wonder what demand is going to get to on hot muggy weeks when the lawns and gardens are in full growth. Is the state undergoing a full grid rebuild to handle all this demand? Are there new sources of generation about to come on line? If it is 98 degrees, at night, no wind, what is going to have to be shut off and for how long? Are there exemptions to this? What will landscaping cost as they prepare to adapt?
I don't know the answers, maybe someone at a higher pay grade has them.

·
MTF Member
1,021 Posts
Aren't there states that don't want you to even plant grass.???? Due to water shortages.?
Brown lawns might be a thing on the horizon..!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,397 Posts
The commercial users are going to have to use quick change battery setup with bunches of spare batteries. I think about farmers. Without a meraculess break thru on batteries, they will have to have millions invested in huge slid in battery packs, charging systems, transporting equipment and hoist, moving equipment to change the huge battery units. And many here are operating 2 or more machines at a time.
Walt Conner

t

·
Registered
639 Posts
This is literally as far as I needed to read in your post Don.
I didn't even click the attachment reference.

No disrespect meant to you Don. (y)

It's just that virtually nothing that comes out of that part of the planet is worth my regard in the first place.
I will ad this; not long ago a person of prominence from that part of the planet was asked where the electricity to charge all of the electric vehicles was going to come from. With a stupefied look they replied "Well, from wherever you plug it in, I guess".

:rolleyes:

Renster

·
Professional Homeowner
8,120 Posts
A couple points-
I asked someone at work who has a hybrid car about this kind of stuff not long ago. He brought up a good point saying “I can make my own electricity “ referring to his solar setup. Who here makes their own fuel? Yeah, might be a few biodiesel makers, but I bet there are more folks with solar setups than that make their own diesel…

I think it was Greenworks that had a feasible commercial grade zero turn on the market a couple years ago. Not without it’s drawbacks, but it’s pretty close to filling that void. Lots of cordless blowers, weedwackers, and chainsaws on the market right now competing with gas stuff. Many of us own those already.

just saying the huge leap to all electric equipment & cars is getting shorter every year.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,120 Posts
Oops.. might be Mean Green mowers I saw/sat on at that show. Need to check my old phone where I’d have the pictures to look at for sure.

another electric innovation I thought of - a former boss of mine might be pretty close to bringing an all-electric side by side sport UTV (like a Rzr) to market. He has a working prototype that he claims runs a little faster than the Rzr but not maybe quite as fast as the Can-Am

·
Registered
613 Posts
California is doing away with all natural gas usage because it produces CO2, a greenhouse gas as they call it, so they will be doing away with natural gas powered OPE along with gasoline powered equipment. They have been banning new houses being built to use natural gas now for the past few years.
They didn't think of what fuel was going to be used to generate all the electricity to charge all of the batteries though, and they do take a tremendous amount of electricity to charge them that their power grid and generating stations were not built to handle.
Their 'Green' solar, wind, and hydro power production will not be anywhere near enough to produce the amount needed to satisfy the vast amount needed for the population in the state who will be charging their batteries.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,120 Posts
Anything over 25 horsepower is exempt from this law… for now. I Just read that. So the commercial guys with big zero turns and most golf course equipment are safe.
It’s also calls out that the ban is in regards to “spark ignition engines,” so does that exempt Diesel engines?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.