My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at my local Cub Dealer for about $10. Yeah, it's probably 12 cents worth of plastic but it does a good job.

I used this...

To measure this: (the probe is touching the underside of the blade tip, not the deck itself)

So I could label this:

Note at position 2 and below, the anti-scalp wheels were on the ground so effectively 2 and 1 are the same height. I'm not mowing a golf course so I think I'll be fine. I'll probably mow at either 5 (2 5/8") or 6 (3").

Of course those labels are only valid until I re-level the deck, but I've already done that for this season so might as well commit it to labels.

Handy little tool, so I thought I'd share.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I have one also only in yellow and black. They work great. slkpk

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like it!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Me thinks you'd need a level floor to set it on to get any accuracy. An uneven surface would amplify the error. I don't have a nice power troweled garage slab resembling a pool table.

Cool tool none the less.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Me thinks you'd need a level floor to set it on to get any accuracy. An uneven surface would amplify the error. I don't have a nice power troweled garage slab resembling a pool table.

Cool tool none the less.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we're looking for a flat surface and not necessarily level. You can check the surface flat by taking a reading, mark on the surface the wheel center line locations with chalk, rotate the tractor 180° and take a second reading. If the surface is flat you will get the same readings. If the surface is approximately level but not flat different readings will be obtained.

I can't take credit for this method. I read this on another form and can't recall the name to give credit.:hide:

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one also only in yellow and black. They work great. slkpk
Hmm.. I wonder why mine didn't come in standard Cub yellow and black? Now I'm jealous. Your 12 cent piece of plastic is more color-coordinated than mine.:Disgus:

Come to think of it, I do still have some Cub yellow paint left over from the deck refinishing job... hmm...

I assume you're working on dirt or gravel then? Sounds like a good excuse to get a grader blade!

I would think if you drive the tractor onto a 2x8 or 2x10 lengthwise so one front and one rear tire is on the board and then take the measurement from the board surface to the blade tip you'll be fine. Just make sure the gauge is aligned in the same direction as the board's long dimension so that if the board is tilted side-to-side that won't throw the measurement off.

Or just go drive the tractor out into the street on the yellow line and take your measurement there. You may want to do this on a quiet street.:duh:

That reminds me.. after my first cut I should compare the actual grass height to my measurements. I suppose because turf has some give to it that the actual grass cut height will differ somewhat from the blade height above firm concrete. I'm guessing the grass will end up a bit shorter.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
My shed has a concrete slab but it was a DIY job so I know it's not flat. I don't live on a paved street. It's a country road with tarmac and worse than my shed.

Some day I too will have a clean, smooth-as-glass floor that I can eat off of like munderhill has. Maybe I'll even have a clean tractor. LOL... who am I kidding.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My shed has a concrete slab but it was a DIY job so I know it's not flat. I don't live on a paved street. It's a country road with tarmac and worse than my shed.

Some day I too will have a clean, smooth-as-glass floor that I can eat off of like munderhill has. Maybe I'll even have a clean tractor. LOL... who am I kidding.
In that case I would hazard a guess it probably isn't a big deal to you whether your grass is cut at exactly 2 1/2" vs 2 5/8", in which case, as they say, the question is moot!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Hey, I might live on the other side of the tracks, but I still appreciate a good invention. You could get four of them so that you don't need to continually move one around as you make the adjustments. Do you get someone to sit on the seat to compensate for the weight displacement? I wonder how much my weight changes the blade height.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts

Cool tool none the less.
You could always pour a slab and then drive the tractor in, set the deck down until it first touches the wet cement and then you will know how high the blades are :)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
John Deere sells a measuring gauge very similar to that one. However it's far more accurate and won't develope a squeek after several uses... So they tell me.:D

Still no gauge will even come close unless the floor is level. I level two 7' long 2X12's on 6" high blocks, crosswise and lengthwise, run the tractor up on them and then do the measurements and settings. It's my take on the NASCAR chassis checking device.

The deck is high enough off the ground to get right at the blade tips both at my initial 2" setting and the "all the way down" setting. PLUS you can actually SEE all three blades while you're working. AND you can set this up right on the lawn, dirt or gravel driveway if you like. Takes five minutes to set up if you have all the pieces pre-made.

Geez... I hope I'm not confusing any Cub owners with this information!!!!:sidelaugh:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
HH sez:

"John Deere sells a measuring gauge very similar to that one. However it's far more accurate and won't develope a squeek after several uses... So they tell me."

So tell us poor CC boys, HH - how much does JD want for their squeek -free gage ? :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ya got me that time, HH - shoulda done my homework first.
Surprising, tho... mebbe JD is redoing it's image or something? I didn't think they sold _anything_ for less than two figures.. :)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
mebbe JD is redoing it's image or something? I didn't think they sold _anything_ for less than two figures..
Yeah well, don't fall for their trick! They sell you a low priced gauge and then figger you'll run right back there to buy an X749AWS w/60" deck to use it on. I still like my "Blocks O' Wood" gauges by Shoddy Industries Inc. NO moving parts to wear out and no allergic reactions to the plastic when the humidity gets high.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.