My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey Mow, I guess you should know better than me what the deal is on DSL but I'm in the same shape as gwill. I am told that it's not the distance from the main hub downtown that matters but how far from each areas local switching station. I'm about a mile from mine and well within range to receive DSL. After numerous tries to get an answer from BellSouth as to why I couldn't get DSL I was told that there was special equipment in the switching box that prevented them from running DSL out of it. One day I was driving by the box and there was a BellSouth truck sitting there with a service man inside. I pulled over and walked back to ask him about DSL. I told him what I had been told and he said "BS, the only thing stopping them from offering it out here is that there aren't enough potential customers."
Here in KY we have this deal called "Connect Kentucky", formed by the governor with the intent of having broadband internet available to every Kentuckian by '07. Ain't gonna happen if I'm just outside of the third largest city in KY and can't get it. How are those folks over in the mountains who are just now getting electricity going to get broadband? There was just an article in our local paper crowing about how almost all of my county has broadband available. Baloney! If you can't get cable and live outside the city limits the odds are you're not getting any broadband. My next step is to write our county Judge Executive and the Governor and ask them if they really believe what they're being told about service in KY. BTW, I contacted the cable co. and they said they had no plans to ever come my way so that's not an option. Hutch

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
gwill said:
Mow,

I have no hope at all, even though I don't live far out. I can't get SBC to admit the 4 load coils and 9 bridge taps are even an issue! Do you have any advice on how to get these idiot's attention?

This information is a couple years old... probably by now they've screwed it up even more. :bonk: :00000060:

First, try applying for DSL service again, unless you are absolutely sure nothing has physically changed pertaining to your line condition. If your still get the same song and dance, make a lot of noise and be persistent. Tell them you are going to file a complaint with your state's Public Service Commission or Public Utilities Commission. This might be just an idle threat because there is no law that states your local telco has to give you DSL, but it might get somebody's attention, nonetheless. Maybe it would be better to start out by asking for a supervisor, and then go up the chain of command.

From there I guess you write persistent Letters to the Editor. No company likes that kind of attention even if they are the only game in town.

If you are that close to the Central Office, they can probably cut out the Load Coils, unless you have a really long loop. All they do is amplify the voice signal for long cable distances and they might be able to do that without decreasing your talk volume. Bridge taps are pretty common, but maybe you could have them cut the cable straight through and off the bridge taps, as well as taking the field end off your cable pair. I betcha money when you are applying for DSL that all bridge taps (and for sure the load coils) are giving your DSL provisioning people bad test results and disqualifying you for service right of the bat.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Hutch001b said:
Hey Mow, I guess you should know better than me what the deal is on DSL but I'm in the same shape as gwill. I am told that it's not the distance from the main hub downtown that matters but how far from each areas local switching station. I'm about a mile from mine and well within range to receive DSL. After numerous tries to get an answer from BellSouth as to why I couldn't get DSL I was told that there was special equipment in the switching box that prevented them from running DSL out of it. One day I was driving by the box and there was a BellSouth truck sitting there with a service man inside. I pulled over and walked back to ask him about DSL. I told him what I had been told and he said "BS, the only thing stopping them from offering it out here is that there aren't enough potential customers."
Here in KY we have this deal called "Connect Kentucky", formed by the governor with the intent of having broadband internet available to every Kentuckian by '07. Ain't gonna happen if I'm just outside of the third largest city in KY and can't get it. How are those folks over in the mountains who are just now getting electricity going to get broadband? There was just an article in our local paper crowing about how almost all of my county has broadband available. Baloney! If you can't get cable and live outside the city limits the odds are you're not getting any broadband. My next step is to write our county Judge Executive and the Governor and ask them if they really believe what they're being told about service in KY. BTW, I contacted the cable co. and they said they had no plans to ever come my way so that's not an option. Hutch
Well that blows, Hutch. But unfortunately is all about money. There are several obstacles that the telcos face in offering broadband, One is that is expensive to add the equipment and another is for the service to work, the cable (bundled phone lines) has to be in very good shape. So when the telcos look at sparsely populated sectors, even if is in or near "the city", they ultimately are looking a return on their investment. Another big factor is with Deregulation, the telco's have to provide competitors with the hardware and plant at a discounted rate so they too can offer these services. So what these competitors do is try to take away the high revenue accounts, which they do. Meanwhile the local telco is required by law to spend thousands of dollars provide basic service to the lone customer who lives 20 miles away, as well as maintain the existing plant to the rural areas where they don't pull in much revenue.

I would use the means you indicated to try to get service (also see my reply to gwill). Hopefully these competitors who using the telcos switched network and dont have to play by the same rules will have to pay up. All they are doing is hurting the have-nots (speaking in geographical terms) in the rural areas or low phone-revenue areas.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was Ok with the fact that I couldn't get DSL out here until this connect KY deal came out. I know it doesn't make sense to spend the money so one customer can have service. I don't know how the governor is going to force the telco to service unprofitable areas. I'm all for any company making a profit.
Being from Missouri you may remember this--When the cable companies were bidding for the first cable system in St. Louis County one company, don't remember the name, won the contract. Well, a guy sued them because they wouldn't run cable to his house. He was the only house on the end of a long road. As it turns out, in the contract the cable company submitted it stated that they would provide cable for ANYONE in the county who desired it. They had to run cable all the way to this dude's house and, if I'm not mistaken, as punishment they had to provide his service free of charge. Cost something like $70,000 to get cable to this guy. Hutch

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how they will implement that. The telco's a losing lines left and right to cell phones, CLEC's, VOIP, and other entities, and thus are losing revenues that could be applied to expanding the enhanced services. But as I stated before, a lot of these entities don't have to play by the same rules. Competition is good, but it also can have some negatives, as I often see firsthand,

That's funny about the long cable run. The cable companies are exempt from a lot of the rules too, although the one you mentioned got burned in a city/franchise agreement.

The telco's rates here in MO are set by the Public Service Commission, so my phone rates have stayed relatively low. My cable bill has gone up something outrages like 400% in 12 years.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for all of the great advice and helpful ideas!!! We are currently trying to talk the cable company to run the cable to our place so hopefully I will not have to worry with anything else, But if they decide not to run it then I guess I am screwed. :banghead3

41 - 46 of 46 Posts