My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Interesting - I live 8 miles from the phone hub in the middle of nowhere. The local (and I mean LOCAL) phone company got me DSL, cost me $15 to install, $44 a month.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Wingnut said:
I have Direcway Sat. but it not stable I am alway falling offline (20 times a day)
Thats not good for Business
Wingnut & Paul,

It sounds like whoever set up your dish didn't do a good job of pointing it. I pointed my own and I have since made adjustments to eliminate rain & snow as a problem. It can be a snowstorm or a rainstorm and I can still check the radar to see what I'm in the middle of. The only thing that will interfere is wet snow piling up on the dish itself. I just brush it off and we're fine.

Besides signal strength, satellite internet has 2 other parameters that determine the quality of the signal in relation to other interfering factors. It has to do not just with elevation & azimuth, but with polarity & tilt.

The internet service can be completely functional at the outer limits of acceptability in clear weather but the real test comes in the bad weather. If the dish is properly aligned at it's optimal position, it should be more stable than satellite TV.

Many times we loose our DirecTV reception and my internet keeps right on working.

The cost for my 500 kb/sec down & 100 kb/sec up connection right now is $49.00 / month.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Smartfarmer,
No one has mentioned this but you have another broadband option which is a cellular modem. We use the ones by Verizon all over the country for work so if you have cellular phone service at your new address, you will more than likely have this service available. Cingular also offers it but I believe Verizon has better coverage. There also may be a Wi-Fi network that could offer the same, but at a lower price which is $60 per month for Verizon for unlimited service. I currently have cable modem service from Comcast which is the best but I previously had DSL service from SBC which was also very good, just not as fast. SBC offers a bundled local, long distance, DSL and satellite TV service through Dish in the Chicago area. They might also in Tennessee so check it out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am not sure if anyone remembers but a while back there was a thread started and within the thread was a link to check and see how fast ytour computer is transferring files, Does anyone remember that link?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is what I got Your download speed : 2886 kbps or 360.8 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 239 kbps or 29.9 KB/sec. and that is with cable internet that claims to be 3 gig. What could I expect to get if I switched to something like cingular or satellite?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Depends on what tier of service you are paying for. Rule of thumb for DSL is under normal conditions you should consistantly be getting 80% or better of the speed you are paying for. I'm not sure what percentages apply to the other types of services. I don't think the speeds you are getting on the cable modem are available on the the cellular modems or satellite services, but I could be wrong. I've had DSL 768/128 for over 5 years and those are satisfactory speeds for what I do. It would be nice to subscribe to the higher speed tiers of DSL someday, which I might.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
For 49.00 / month starband satellite connection I get 500 kb/sec down and 100 kb/sec up.

Pay more with starband and get more. I believe it can get 3 times as fast if you are willing to pay over 120.00 / month.

·
Registered
94 Posts
old_nodaker said:
Interesting - I live 8 miles from the phone hub in the middle of nowhere. The local (and I mean LOCAL) phone company got me DSL, cost me $15 to install, $44 a month.
You guys really pi$$ me off... not at you, but at !#$%^ SBC. I can look out my back window at the county court house, which is a block from the hub and I have to be a second rate citizen without DSL service! :eck16: The distance is well under 2 miles. !#$%^& I can't have cable either because it is about 800 ft. away.

Please don't tell me how badly dial-up sucks... I already know. :banghead3

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The setup cost of 15.00 for DSL is amazing. Satellite cost me 700.00 for just the hardware. It would have cost another 200.00 for install minimum but my install with pole mount and trenching and long cable runs would have probably been more like 700.00 to install - add that to 700.00 for hardware and you're at 1400.00 just to get up and running. Then you start paying 70.00 / month to start on top of that until you work it down to 60 then 50 over the next 3 years.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
thesmartfarmer said:
The home number now is 865-674-8905 but the business number is 865-604-9815

not sure if this link will work but its from AT&T which is now part of SBC..

http://businessesales.att.com/products_services/dslinternet_available.jhtml;jsessionid=X4YZ003ZMCLJTQFIHOICKT4AVA3ZCJLW?_requestid=35656

AT&T DSL Internet is available at this location.
The following speeds are available at this location. Choose the speed for your business needs.

AT&T Business Class DSL
Learn More
Download/upload speeds
(users/monthly price)

No plans available.

AT&T Small Office/Home Office DSL
Learn More
Download/upload speeds
(users/monthly price)

Standard ADSL 768-128Kbps ($46.71)
Enhanced ADSL Up to 1.5Mbps / Up to 384Kbps ($49.95)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
THat is so weird becasue bellsouth states that DSL is not available but AT&T has it? Also what does ADSL mean when compared to DSL?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The $15 was for the time and material involved in inside the house work. When I signed up, they said I might need a modem for $100, turned out I didn't need one, which I don't understand but didn't argue.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
thesmartfarmer said:
THat is so weird becasue bellsouth states that DSL is not available but AT&T has it? Also what does ADSL mean when compared to DSL?
ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. ADSL is variation of DSL where one side of data can flow faster than the other. This is why you see the speed ratings like 1.5MB down / 256KB up.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
old_nodaker said:
The $15 was for the time and material involved in inside the house work. When I signed up, they said I might need a modem for $100, turned out I didn't need one, which I don't understand but didn't argue.
old nodaker, are you sure you are subscribing to regular DSL?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
MowHoward2210 said:
ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. ADSL is variation of DSL where one side of data can flow faster than the other. This is why you see the speed ratings like 1.5MB down / 256KB up.

Which is the most important for the "essentials" of running a business (no music downloads or stuff like that?)

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Are you running a server to host your website? The lower tier speeds say 256kb to 768kb should serve you well. You also want a reliable service that is always "on" and stays on.

Back to your intitial question:

thesmartfarmer said:
........ I would like to have my internet, tv, and phone all in one package? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Unless you have a fiber connection to your house, your DSL/Phone line probably will not handle TV. That will change in due time, but for now, it is most likely video is not an option. And since you cant get cable, you'll probably have to mix the various ways you can receive the services.

thesmartfarmer said:
THat is so weird becasue bellsouth states that DSL is not available but AT&T has it? .........
One of the two companies might be in error whether you can receive DSL service or not, but that's hard to say for sure, as I don't know how the telephone network is configured in your area.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Well, as long as it works, then it is a moot point! Still wonder how you get a DSL signal 8 miles out. Maybe they put you on "dry pair" and took all the loads out of your cable pair. Hopefully your scenario will give hope to people who live a ways out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MowHoward2210 said:
Well, as long as it works, then it is a moot point! Still wonder how you get a DSL signal 8 miles out. Maybe they put you on "dry pair" and took all the loads out of your cable pair. Hopefully your scenario will give hope to people who live a ways out.
Mow,

I have no hope at all, even though I don't live far out. I can't get SBC to admit the 4 load coils and 9 bridge taps are even an issue! Do you have any advice on how to get these idiot's attention?

This information is a couple years old... probably by now they've screwed it up even more. :bonk: :00000060:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts