My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have cable internet and I am very pleased with it, but I am moving and the cable company does not offer service to where i am moving so I was wondering what everyone had and the pros and cons of each. I have to have something dependable and fast (I run an internet business) and I would like to have my internet, tv, and phone all in one package? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
First, what services are available in the area you are moving to? You need to find out specifically at your new address. Are you going to be able to take your old number with you for business purposes? You will get better information by asking about the service providers that you can actually get, rather than just what other members have.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well satellite and Phone services are available everywhere so I know those 2 will be available but the cable company does not offer services at the future location. SO all I am asking for is everyones opinion on satellite versus something like bellsouth dsl.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
DSL is the better option over Satelite. You go to SAT when nothing else is available...

Find out what is available speed wise in your area for DSL...the Phone companies can offer good packages that include voice or VOIP services

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I agree with Duc on that one.

My personal preference would be cable if available, then DSL then satellite in that order. Notice I don't even mention dialup - I don't even consider it an option.

I'm on Starband satellite internet. I'm set up as an installer and never had to pay the installation fee. Plus when things go wrong, I replace my own cables, lnb or whatever it takes.

Starband speed is excellent. Different packages so you can spend more and get more speed if it's worth it to you. But if I had DSL or cable available I'd jump at it.

DSL is limited to only 2 or 3 miles from a main phone company hub office. That can be fine for people who live in a town but for us rural folks we are too far away.

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
I had a cable internet connection in Las Vegas and it was noticably faster than the neighbor's DSL. The difference could have been in our hardware though. Where I live now cable is not an option so I have DSL and it seems plenty fast. The kids live out where the phone lines are so bad that they won't support DSL. They looked into a satellite connection but the service was approaching $100.00 a month. They opted for dial up.

BTW how much is satellite these days?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well dial up for me is not an option?!?!? I need the fastest and most reliable connection possible. I worked for a company that had DSl and it was always going down and screwing up so that is why I was even considering satellite (and the fact I could get tv, internet, and phone all in one)

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Smartfarmer,

I had Earthlink dial-up, but at that recent time, Earthlink did not offer DSL in my area. Comcast cable did offer broadband internet, but it was very expensive and I have Sat TV. Most who were on cable TV got screwed for cable internet. We had Verizon telephone service, but they did not have DSL at my address/area. Verizon DSL finally became available, at a very reasonable price, and has great service...so now I have Verizon DSL. Not all providers are available for all areas. Some areas have several, so you have a choice. Not all providers have the same cost or reputation. That's why I suggested you check and then post the providers that do serve your address.

If you have Verizon, I can recommend them.

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
One thing you have to consider is, is DSL going to be available? DSL only works if you are within no more than3 miles of the equipment.

I'm only 2+ miles from the largest factory mall in the state and 4 miles from down town yet I have neither cable or DSL available (just a little over 3 mi from phone Co but even if closer and old wiring wouldn't occomodate the service). What I do have is a wireless broadband service (not wi-fi) that offers ~80kB/sec service for less than $40/mo for the highspeed and internet service. My previous dial-up only provided 2.6kB/sec,

Is anything like this available where you intend to move to? You may find you will have few choices.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really can not find what is available in my area the new address is going to be 782 Leadvale Church Rd White Pine, TN 37890

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Gives us your phone NPAXX or the area code and first exchange i.e (555) 555 -xxxx
I can find out tomorrow whats available for you

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I would contact your local telco and your area satellite providers. I think DSL would probably be your best bet, but if service in your area is spotty, then I would see what the dish providers offer. But first check with your local telco to see if DSL is offered the your address now or if it is coming soon. My inlaws are about 5 miles out from the Central Office and receive DSL service. The only problems being that far out is their voice level is down a bit when they talk to someone, especially on long distance calls, but they are real happy with the service.

·
Registered
94 Posts
thesmartfarmer said:
Well dial up for me is not an option?!?!? I need the fastest and most reliable connection possible. I worked for a company that had DSl and it was always going down and screwing up so that is why I was even considering satellite (and the fact I could get tv, internet, and phone all in one)
If dialup isn't an option you better be very careful where you move. Try really hard not to go to an area served (?) by SBC. I'm nearly within shouting distance of their switching station and have tried for years to get a dsl connection. :bonk:

Some of us are cursed with dialup for want of anything better. Those satelite systems are far too expensive for us retirees. :banghead3

·
Once was a Super Member
13,692 Posts
I have Direcway Sat. but it not stable I am alway falling offline (20 times a day)
Thats not good for Business

·
Super Moderator
31,824 Posts
We had satelite at work. It was fine till it rained, snowed, was hot, or cold, oh and when it was sunny, or cloudy it went down a lot to. :D :D Not a fan.

Cable would be probably the best, but you say you cant get it. May be tough.

For me, I am still hanging here at home on the old phone line. Works, but slow. We have DSL avalable, but its real pricy, and they say "we may be to far away" ??? nice huh? But we just got a flyer saying they are starting cable. YAhooooo!!! So for about $10-20 more then what I pay for AOL, we may be going that route.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts