My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Its tough....only way I have gotten some oil in a cable with plastic coating on it,was to duct tape a funnel over the cable after unhooking it,and fill it with oil,and let it seep in overnight....if your lucky,some might go in it!...be nice if there was some devise to force oil in one,like a grease gun or something.....then I wouldn't have to replace my e-brake cables that are seized tight on my Ford Contour...not looking forward to that jib at all!..

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Its tough....only way I have gotten some oil in a cable with plastic coating on it,was to duct tape a funnel over the cable after unhooking it,and fill it with oil,and let it seep in overnight....if your lucky,some might go in it!...be nice if there was some devise to force oil in one,like a grease gun or something.....then I wouldn't have to replace my e-brake cables that are seized tight on my Ford Contour...not looking forward to that jib at all!..
Don't bike shops have an attachment that will force lube in a cable!!?? :dunno:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used to have an adapter that went on the end of speedometer cables with a zerk fitting to pump grease into squeaky cable.
I loaned it to a new young teck once & told him only a pump or two. When he returned it to me he asked how to get the grease out from the display cluster.

I lubed the throttle & choke cables on my JD400 a couple of weeks ago. I put a small vacuum hose over the carb end of the cables & used a funnel propped up & added oil & lit it soak in overnight.

But this tool is on my want list. I have oprder from these guys & even called up & talked to them about a gokart very helpfull guy. http://www.scootertherapy.com/clubepage.html

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
For cables that do not have the plastic jacket over them I just take a small, oil soaked, rag and rub the full length of the cable. Do this every oil change and no problems.

For the plastic coated cables I found an adapter, similar to those shown, at the place we buy our quad runners. They even have lube that can be used with the tool and force the lube thru the cable.

This is a Kawasaki dealership but I suspect other places would have the same tool.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
How about sliding a piece of fuel line on the end of the cable, after
disconnecting from carb, and if necessary put a clamp on.

Put a generous amount of oil in the open end of the hose and
apply pressure with a air nozzle . Pushes the oil all the way
to the other end.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
In another thread I got fussed at for using oil/grease to lube something as it will hold dirt.

These cables are in a dirty environment.

Would graphite be a better lube for this situation?? :dunno:

I don't want to get fussed at again!! :crybaby:

Just kidding, I would not post if I couldn't take getting fussed at!! :00000060:

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
How about sliding a piece of fuel line on the end of the cable, after
disconnecting from carb, and if necessary put a clamp on.

Put a generous amount of oil in the open end of the hose and
apply pressure with a air nozzle . Pushes the oil all the way
to the other end.
That's a great idea. :thanku:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.