My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tractor Enthusiest
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After building the cab I wanted to increase visibility around me. I was looking around at 12v spot lights and flood lights but they were either hand held or led or $100. I didn't want LED because my experience with led bulbs has been terrible. 10w same as 100w save power! But equal to lighting a candle.

I found some cheap ones on amazon and they had good reviews, even though they were LED, so I tried them. These are them:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XZAQDU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I've got two in the front and one in the back. They're advertised as 10w but they're actually only 7ish. One of my concerns was power draw, 15amp alternator and all those lights, didn't want to overload it.

Here it is with no other lights influencing hte light. Headlights and spotlights are on.

Here it is with headlights only.

Here is headlights and spotlights. It's litterally a night and day difference.

Here's the rear spotlight. It's the only source of light back there

Overall I'm really happy with it. If you're looking to add some light to the outside of your cab definitely keep these in mind.

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Wow - now those really do add light where you need it!

Thanks for the pics - I'm going to check those out for my cab.

Rich

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
:wow: Those look great!

How well do they work with the engine stopped? I've read here that LEDs aren't very good unless the engine is running.

I'm looking to install some rear lights to help me with firewood duty (hauling), which I sometimes have to do at night after work.

Mike

·
Tractor Enthusiest
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lights are just as bright with the engine off. I put them on when working on the tractor. I leave them on for 15-20 min and it doesn't make any difference on starting it up. They have a 110v version of the same thing. People reported problems with the vintage inverter though so I'm not sure how well I'd trust it.

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Excellent, thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've got a set of the LED I bought on .bay for around $55. It was a heck of a deal. Haven't found them that low since. Rated at 24 watts. They really light up the night.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Wonder if there are mounts so I can put them on ROPS without drilling and still look good????
Big pipe clamps, and some spray paint might work. Just make sure to bend the pipe clamp so that you've got a straight end to feed into the screw part that tightens it up.

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts
Big pipe clamps, and some spray paint might work. Just make sure to bend the pipe clamp so that you've got a straight end to feed into the screw part that tightens it up.

Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wonder if there are mounts so I can put them on ROPS without drilling and still look good????
I'm not sure the diameter of the ROPS but something like these from Amazon might work.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ADJ%20Products%20Plastic%20o%20Clamp%20360%20Degree%20Wrap%20Around%20Clamp[/ame]

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts

·
Tractor Enthusiest
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the ROPS isn't solid, drill a hole. Then put two screws in to mount it and you're done.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You're right. Hmmm, not sure what went wrong. Try this: Go into Amazon and in the search box put in: ADJ Products Plastic Clamp 360 Degree Wrap Around Clamp
You can do a copy from this message (highlight the text followed by CNTRL-C) then when in Amazon put the cursor in the search box and do a CNTRL-V. If it works it should come up come up with 2 sizes of clamps that look like this

Amazon.ADJ.Clamps.JPG

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the post FatJay you got my interest.I think I will order a pair...Scott

·
Tractor Enthusiest
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to follow up on this. I've ahd these things exposed to the worst, rain, sleet, snow, ice, -10F, etc. 2/3 are working great. 1 is flickering, like there's a bad connection somewhere. I haven't investigated yet, the wiring job isn't the best though. It's about 3 fine strands of wire to supply them with power, so making a good connection without solder is kind of tough. I don't see any moisture inside at all, so I don't think that's the issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
good to hear they have worked though cold weather I live north of Toronto and I still have 2 feet of snow in the backyard. This is a Canadian spring? I have several trees down and I’m waiting for the snow to leave so I can begin the cleanup. I work late shifts so the lights will be a big help…Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts