My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
No... Not the JD Hard Cab.... I'm not a big baller like some.... :)

I went with the Soft Cab made for Deere by Original Tractor Cab Company and I have to thank Sergeant for passing along info to me!

It's not as svelte as the hard cabs but it's not 3K and 5K respectively, either.

I will be adding a heater. I have a heatercore/blower combo that I was going to use in my boat, but it will work in the tractor just as well. I need to get the cab installed so I can see how I can mock this all up. It's going to be SWEEEET!

Many pictures to follow!

·
Super Moderator
35,822 Posts
I have a sterno heater if you can't get yours mounted!!!! Can't wait to see the pictures! Congrats on the new, new, new purchase!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PA!

I think I will be ok with my heater core, it's not real big, but it's already in a shroud and has a sparkless (marine) squirrel cage motor on it. If the metal frame work for this cab is strong enough I'm thinking I can just weld a couple tabs on it, bolt the unit to the frame work up by the left hand side floor board (where JD puts it) plumb in a pair of couplers into the rad lines and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is something I want to get for my 455 is a cab. A face full of snow is no fun!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stladrill,

Nope I did not order the glass or the wiper. Sege said it would "seal better" this way, and I'm not running a blower so I won't get as much snow on the windshield using a plow.

I think it can be "upgraded" at any time to the glass windows if you want.. Or you could probably get a local place to cut the glass cheaper, it's just single pane safety glass.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
I don't have a deere but I do have a cab...you'll thank yourself countless times this winter. Congrats....btw Soft Cabs beat eating snow and dirt but you may want to take off the doors in summer.:trink39:

No... Not the JD Hard Cab.... I'm not a big baller like some.... :)

I went with the Soft Cab made for Deere by Original Tractor Cab Company and I have to thank Sergant for passing along info to me!

It's not as svelte as the hard cabs but it's not 3K and 5K respectively, either.

I will be adding a heater. I have a heatercore/blower combo that I was going to use in my boat, but it will work in the tractor just as well. I need to get the cab installed so I can see how I can mock this all up. It's going to be SWEEEET!

Many pictures to follow!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It will come off during the summer. And depending on how it fastens I may just keep the canopy up, if that's possible. Won't know how it works till I get my hands on it :)

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No need for a cab down there! Just a canopy :)

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
I've been thinking of getting the soft cab too. I can't wait to see yours, especially with your heater setup! I was planning on doing the same thing if I get one. I'm excited for ya! :trink39:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Brett- we seem to have similar tastes...like nice boats (Dad has a Stingray 606ZP and I would love the 230SX like I believe you posted you use to own), tractors, deal with computers at work,etc.) and if Im not mistaken you seem to be somewhat of a perfectionist (and I am too). I really look forward to your pics and comments on the new cab. I dream of an X748 with blower and hard cab. Even with all the snow that Maine will get over the next twenty years, that is still a lot of change to spend to stay "snow in face free".

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been thinking of getting the soft cab too. I can't wait to see yours, especially with your heater setup! I was planning on doing the same thing if I get one. I'm excited for ya! :trink39:
Thanks Gei!

I will make sure I take lots of pics of the install process and the heater setup!

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brett- we seem to have similar tastes...like nice boats (Dad has a Stingray 606ZP and I would love the 230SX like I believe you posted you use to own), tractors, deal with computers at work,etc.) and if Im not mistaken you seem to be somewhat of a perfectionist (and I am too). I really look forward to your pics and comments on the new cab. I dream of an X748 with blower and hard cab. Even with all the snow that Maine will get over the next twenty years, that is still a lot of change to spend to stay "snow in face free".
mhussey,

That's the first time anyone has called me a "bit" of a perfectionist! Usually they say I'm a lot like Monk! :)

As much as I would love a hard cab setup I just can't justify the cost. 5+ grand for the full hard cab that is offered OEM and MFG'd by Curtis Cabs is just ridiculous, yes it's a nice cab... But a full Air Conditioned cab 3320 only cost 5 grand more.... Not sure how they can justify what they ask for the smaller cabs.

$969 was a bit more palatable (still high IMHO) but at least I can swing it. And the nice thing is that I will be able to take it off and set it aside during the summer months, where as with a hard cab, not quite as easy of a task.

I think this will work out very well! I look forward to posting lots of pics! :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought you said in another thread you were trying to stay away from the dealer.:Stop:

But I am glad you're STILL supporting the economy!:thThumbsU

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought you said in another thread you were trying to stay away from the dealer.:Stop:

But I am glad you're STILL supporting the economy!:thThumbsU
I think I have a "problem" :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts