My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since BobforApples is working so hard on his 650 restore, and it is winter, I had to post this.

Seeing the date, you can see that I'm crossing my fingers on when the first snow comes. After FINALLY conquering the LACK of hydraulics situation, I'm diving in to this cab project with determination!

Since I could not find an aftermarket cab to fit the old girl, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The front and back panels are headed to the glass shop in the morning for the install of safety glass, and after the first of the year, I should have the hard top back from the forming shop. I have the soft vinyl (clear and yellow) ready to make the sides/doors out of as soon as the front, back and top are back and bolted in place. Local upholsterer is going to help with with the sewing.

The two rear brackets bolt into the OEM bolt holes originally designed for a roll bar. The front brackets, I welded on to the OEM snow blower bracket. My idea was to make bolt together sections to make installation/removal as simple as possible. Once the rear brackets are in place, the rear panel sets on top of those tubes so that they bear the weight as you put the bolts in. Same with the front panel. It bears the weight on the mount while you bolt it together. The top will be bolted to the front and back panels as a structural piece. The right side will be an non operable soft panel, and the left side will be a door. Each lower front will get a vinyl panel forward over the engine to duct engine heat back into the enclosure.

I'm getting the feeling from other parts of this forum that LED lights are the way to go, so they will be on order soon, too!!!

More pictures as progress is made...

Attachments

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Can't wait to see this cab finished. Keep up the excellent work. slkpk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First season, haven't tried it out yet. Spent last winter restoring the tractor, and the whole year looking for a blower for it that was complete but not wore out. I want it to snow, but just not quite yet!!! Dropped the front and back panels off at the glass company this morning. They should have them done in a week or less. As soon as the cab is complete it can snow snow snow!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a rear 3pt blade that I have on the back just in case we get some heavy wet snow or need to drag a little away from a garage door. It has balanced the tractor pretty well. I can steer it OK, probably no more effort than when the mower is on it in the summer. Another thing that helps is the lower friction from the chains I have on the front wheels. I was afraid I'd need power steering and had even contacted Jackson Power steering, but have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it turns with the rear blade on.

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
What material and method are you using to make the panels? I kind of had same idea for my 700.

I was thinking about 3/4" tube with 22-28g sheet metal (since I have several sheets). Did you use angle to make frame?

Thanks for any input.

This will be my summer project since I have a 425 with cab, but by next winter I want to have the 425 sold and moving snow with the 700.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made the frame out of 2" square 14 gauge tube. Looked about right for the size of the tractor. Sheet metal is all 14 gauge. Needed some rigidity for the rubber moulding that holds the glass, and to fight vibration. Had the top cross checked to help fight vibration also. 14 gauge is maybe a bit heavy...I have a tendency to overbuild. I don't think I'd go any less than 16 gauge, especially if you plan to have it hold real glass. As "heavy" as the steel was, the panels are not too heavy for one man to lift and set into position.

Side note: Looks like columbia is about 3-4 hours from me. Drop me a PM sometime about the 425 and attachments... My son (14) and I may be interested in it as an upgrade for him over his old 240. He has a small mowing & snow business in town...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can get your machine here for a custom fit, I'll make one!

·
No Bozo's
127 Posts
I'm guessing from Buffalo that's maybe an 8 hour drive? I need both tractors for Winter now (I waited too long) but come Spring I can get by without one then the other. I'd start with the 650 since that's be used for grass cutting and that wouldn't be till late May. The 750 has the loader which I need this Spring to dig a new drainage ditch but then I have nothing planned for it.

Email me and let's see if this is doable.

[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm guessing from Buffalo that's maybe an 8 hour drive? I need both tractors for Winter now (I waited too long) but come Spring I can get by without one then the other. I'd start with the 650 since that's be used for grass cutting and that wouldn't be till late May. The 750 has the loader which I need this Spring to dig a new drainage ditch but then I have nothing planned for it.

Email me and let's see if this is doable.

[email protected]
Sent an email, we'll see if that gets to you. Be glad to make them. I plan to have mine pretty well done within two weeks. Will be posting pictures on this thread here on MTF as well as to you. Might change your mind when you see it finished:sidelaugh: I will have all my time and materials totaled up so I can give you a pretty good idea what it will take to do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a little update...

Got the front and back from the glass people friday night. Spent the day getting the top bolted on, the lights mounted and some of the wiring started. In the coming week, I'm meeting with my upholsterer to go over sewing the vinyl sides and windows. Hopefully I'll get that done here in the next week or so, before this mild weather runs out!

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
Looking very good! :fing32:

How hard is it going to be to refuel?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking very good! :fing32:

How hard is it going to be to refuel?
Pretty easy for me, I live on the edge of a small town (700). I'm two blocks from the only gas station in town. I fill it from the pump when I'm out on my "route" doing the driveways for several older uncles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm anxious to hear your take on the blower. Do you plan on adding any weight to the rear? I imagine the manual steering will be pretty rough without it. Every time I check out your tractor it lights a fire under my rear to get mine done!
Mother nature gave me a test snow today! 3"-5" with wind here in the midwest. I'm a 8 days away from getting the sides on the cab done, so it was a cold ride!!! Couldn't pass up the chance to test it though, since I don't know if we'll get any more this winter!

The blower does a good job. Got into drifted snow along side the shed that was 12"-18" deep. Required 1st gear, but took full swath without lugging down enough to have to ride clutch or wait. Still lugged her down a few hundred rpms. It makes it work a bit, but that's good for it. For the mildly damp snow, In 2", I could run in 5th gear. 3" in 4th, 4" in 3rd, 6" in 2nd, etc. These are rough guidelines of course. Wind was howling, so I didn't play long. Going to try again tomorrow evening when hopefully the wind lays down. Hi of 17 tomorrow should dry the snow out good, so I'll hopefully have a new performance report. 4WD (and chains) are a real plus with my stock turf tires (almost a necessity). Had no problems with traction, as long as I was in 4WD. Rear blade helps with weight and steering effort. I'll probably add my suitcase weights to the blade for added rear traction and steering balance. Blower ran very smooth with little vibration. I imagine a 750 would handle it a bit better with the increased HP.

Bottom line: It's a keeper in my book. It took me a long time to find a good one with all the parts and I don't plan to put this one back on the market--Sorry 650 owners!!!

Also to be noted: Tried LED flood lights because of low current draw. 650 only has a 15 Amp alternator, so I didn't want to overload the system, especially since I'm using electric solenoid valves on the hydraulics. Although the long range distance seems to be less than traditional halogens (and maybe because I have floods) I am pleased with the light output. My stock hood lights provide enough distance light, so I only need the LED's to provide close up work light. Two front floods and one rear at the top of the cab seem to provide enough light. One thing I found interesting is how white the light seems compared to the slightly more yellow light from halogens. It seems that the white LED light really brightens things up out in the snow. I recommend them.:thThumbsU

·
No Bozo's
127 Posts
Excellent write up.

I've been looking for performance data on the front blower. Now if i can just find one for sale...

We are a day and a half behind you. That stuff is supposed to hit us starting tomorrow morning. I've only had the 650 out once using the back blade for snow so far. It was only an inch or so of snow so it wasn't much of a test. I did the same with the 750 at the shop with the back blade. I actually want some decent snow so i can work the FEL and see how I like it.

Prior to the (new) Deere's I was using a pair of 8N's so I am looking forward to some modern machinery.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts