My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a long term project for my 1972 JD 112. My plans for this tractor have been made and set in Jello. I am going to pick up a snow blower (a 37A if anyone in New England sources one fairly cheap) and I am going to build a cab for it.

My plan right now is to bend tubing to flow along the outside edge of the seat pan and bolt it to the edge of the pan. The doors will be suicide style, hinged at the rear and latched at the front. The windshield will hinge at the roof and allow access to open the hood. The doors and windshield will also be able to be removed for the summer if I wish. The sides at the front of the cab (foot area and up to the hood) will have clear windows down low and the area next to the hood (maybe a 4" tall x 8" wide box) will be boxed in to house some headlights. I am planning on a deep back section by running the back wall out at an angle and then up to gain some elbow room. I have two damaged Jeep fiberglass hard tops that may be sectioned down to make a nice ribbed fiberglass roof for it. Lastly, I am planning on recessed glass windows that are glued in like a car windshield for the front and rear. The sides may be plexi. If I can score the right tailgate wiper set up, I want to add a wiper so I need glass up front, and I grew up with a home made cab with a rubber mount plexi rear window. That window was knocked out, and cracked so many times it was not funny!

If done up right, I have very little obstructions, the varri-drive lever may be cut down a hair and I may run a remote angle on the blower chute. The lift & pto are electric on this tractor, so that makes it very easy to operate.

So... What I am looking for is any home made cabs and if you can, a link to the build. Tips, tricks, and what you would of done different would be of great help as I plan this out. I have a long ways to go with this tractor, right now I need to get the 12hp Kohler pulled out and running over the winter. Then I can see if the electric PTO & lift are still good. The tractor itself is in really good shape.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here is a link, to another members (CR-SunStar18) build:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=148219
His homemade CAB, does have nice proportions !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Super Moderator
32,168 Posts
I think the biggest hickup will be clearing that varartor handle. Its quite a ways out there. Might also want to look into beefing the 4 rubber biskets that hold the pan on. Make sure they are up to the job of supporting the extra weight, and higher c/g.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the varator is the only hurdle, but on the JD, the pipe is screwed into the base and I think I can shorten it very easy. The top pin is heavily pitted, so if the design is the way I think it is, I plan to turn a new one from stainless and shorten (tap) the inner rod to fit a slightly shorter handle.

Good thought on the rubber mounts too! One is broken now so I have to address them anyway. I wonder if I can find some polly mounts that would work.

·
kccraftswoman
682 Posts
hello i am building a"recycled" cab i do have a thread on here under" ingredients for a recycled cab". i am approximately a quarter of the way done just the money is slow to come in. i will be posting more pics as i can. tootles for now

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Firefyter Emt
Home made cabs, here's one semi home made, it's a 99 dollar Craftsman snow cover on clearance.
Black sharpie Craftsman out. :fing32:
Modify( easy) and plug into the top of the light bar frame; unplug to remove.
The light bar frame is multi task, it mounts into the tractors existing mount for the factory weight bracket and carries permanent and plug in an optional light bar or saftey triangle year round with out interfering with the 3 pt hitch.
We can pull the fender/running board off quickly, for cleaning or repairs, nothing is preventing it. :trink39:
You aksed. :fing20:
DMAC

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
My plans for this tractor have been made and set in Jello.
My plan right now is to bend tubing to flow along the outside edge of the seat pan and bolt it to the edge of the pan.
So... What I am looking for is any home made cabs and if you can, a link to the build. Tips, tricks, and what you would of done different would be of great help as I plan this out.
Firefyter emt has proven his skills to me on this forum so I responded with ideas opposite of what he posted to fill his plate with alternatives; so give the man some ideas please, not another thread killed. :praying:
DMAC

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I am open to any and all ideas, I may just use a design feature for just about any of them. Heck, even my plan has changed a bit. I am not thinking that I may make a front wall & leg to space from the frame to the outside near the door, and a back cab panel. The doors may seal against the seat pan itself.

The odd thing is maybe the search engine will not search small words, but a search for CAB will not show any results.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, well just to keep some stuff alive, I found a cab on e-bay that is very close to the idea I had in mind. In fact... a heavy canvas tarp might make some nice doors. I may need to look into it.

Oh, and on handles, if you can find a ruined set of Jeep soft doors, the latches are ideal. Tool box style paddle from the outside, and a "J" hook to pull on from the inside. Easy to latch on a round pin.

So, here are a couple stolen off e-bay. (hard to do now, you have to take screen shots and crop them down!) :fing32:

I did not plan on making the top of the cab taper in, but I love the look and that is now in the plans. I think I will work the front panel much like this and make the part that lifts up, connect below the hood and make a "hoop" that slips over the hood like this. (Automotive trunk weatherstrips will make the gasket)
Also try to see what is going on at the latches. It looks like a simple slide pull that engages into a slot... Good idea there, but it will not latch without pulling it back. If you notice, they are rear hinged too. Front hinges are a pain if your handles to unlatch the door are in the back.

I like the idea of the back wall sloping down to meet the fender pan instead of running the cab down to the back of the fender pan. This way dirt and junk will not build up in there. Although, some sort of a tool box is begging to be placed back there some where.

On my design, the yellow canvas near the feat would be replaced with a metal framed wall and some glass windows (maybe plexi) This is where the hinged windshield will latch down using a flip catch on either side. The windows will allow me to see the front tires better.

This is really tucked close to the wheel, which I like. (I also like the gentle slope backwards of the windshield frame too) I may need to "loop out" the parts on the sides to allow for a smooth run of the varridrive lever. Again, note the door latches.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
So... What I am looking for is any home made cabs and if you can, a link to the build. Tips, tricks, and what you would of done different would be of great help as I plan this out.
We're on the same wave length :fing32: I've spent the past hour or so looking around for ideas, trying to figure out what where and how to start. I'm planning on buidling one for one of my older sears riders, but I'm not even make and model specific when looking for ideas. Price tags on some of those store bought "soft" cabs I see floating around are just absurd. Home made seems like it could be cheaper and more rewarding. Where to start though!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics and ideas!

It looks as though you're off to a good start. I actually have a large tractor trailer haul cover. Was thinking about using that for the canvas. I like the idea of old Jeep doors. Haven't made up my mind over whether or not I'm going to go with wood or metal. I'm proficient in wood since I'm in the trade, but not that great with metal.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I would build the back panel and then the front up rights. These can be tied with a box at the top. Now you have the main frame work, The door's and windshieldd can be made so they can be removed. The rest will be small bolted on filler panels that can be removed for easy access if needed. (The cab will bolt on too, btw) I may very well tie in the back panel to some frame tie in's to reduce stress. These will have rubber bushings to give them a little "flex" to match the stock fender pan flex. (I may even use the stock rubber bushings between the frame tie in and the back cab panel.)

I do plan to make a "box" at the top of the windshield that can house switches , some small speakers, and the hook up for an MP3 player. (I am planning to house a small amp inside it and just run a patch cable to plug in the MP3.) Planning the main structure for this roughly 90 degree panel to attach to the upper frame will save a lot of time. I "may" even move the PTO & Lift switches to be controled up there to make it easy to run. The stock switches are hard to reach. I am also kicking around placing these lower, but if I remove the windshield in the summer, the top mount will be hidden and out of the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts