My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am supposed to pick this up on Saturday. Needs a carb which I havent seen for sale anywhere but he still has the original in pieces so thats a start. Talked him down to 90 dollars. Always wanted the commercial without the BBC. I think I can use the best of my 10591 combined with this to make one bodacious nice mower. I just dont like the BBC and all the safety switches and the oil pump system. Just want to mix it myself and go and not worry about all the extra unnecessary crap.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
that's awesome ford. I don't like bbc either. I have 2 M mowers . 1 with bbc and one without. carbs are very hard to find for these. you may have to buy a whole engine or parts mower to get one.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just use the one from my 10591? I already have a spare 10591 engine but it naturally came with no carb. How about the Kawasaki engines from my John Deere mowers. Not close enough?

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck he has the old carburetor in pieces, maybe I can get it back together.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
any M carb will work. your right the jdeer mikuni is very close but I don't it will work. the insides should be the same tho. love the commercial tank on yours. hopefully its more resistant to cracking than the reg model. hope you get this going. should be a real beast with no bbc to sap power. I got a harbor freight ultra sonic cleaner and its fantastic for carbs. has increased my success rate with carb rehabs

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dan, I look forward to getting it. I have a spare replacement tank kit for the oil and gas green tank that I will probably never use. Will probably sell it off after I retire and have more time to clear out stuff next spring. I want to put the late model commercial wheels and tranny on it from the 10591. I have a couple sets of them stored away. Orange steel wheels front and back. Maybe I can sell off these commercial plastic wheels that seem to be pretty hard to find too. I wont need them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck on your project FordTech. You should be able to transfer most anything from the 10591 to the Commercial. I have never seen a commercial in person, but one of the only things I think is different between the two models is the front wheel height adjusters. Since there are the steel plates mounted to the frame on the Commercial, it required some modifications to the height adjuster springs, etc. I at one time bought the front steel height adjuster plates planning to install them on the deck of my M as an upgrade. I realized they wouldn't fit without changing out more parts, so I abandoned the project.

You mentioned that you may already have some commercial steel wheels, but if you are buying new, I prefer the Toro pro-line wheels to the commercial Lawn-boys.
Here is a 7 year old thread with some discussion about wheels options...M-series Wheel Options

·
Registered
266 Posts
I prefer the toro proline wheels too. I have the mud digger steel wheels on my 10520 and my 22261 but my 22241 has toro wheels painted orange and I think they ride a little bit nicer.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks M21 and ben for the suggestion. I have considered it but since I have already forked out the dough for the Lawn Boy version and since I would have to paint and make modifications, and since I wont be using this mower very often I decided to just go with what I have on hand.
I will be using the deck, handles, and transmission from the 10591 and will just be transferring the engine assembly with tank etc over to the 10591 for reasons I will detail after I take some pics to explain the details. There have been some disappointing discoveries and pleasant discoveries just from my first day working with it. Well actually I only had a few hours to work with it because I had a 4 hour round trip to pick up the mower and it wasn't available till the after noon.
More to come.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK a little updating while I take a break. Here is a pic of the huge chunk missing in the deck of the C21ZMR and the second pic is the same area taken of the 10591 deck

This is a pic of the broken off boss under the handle assembly on the C21ZMR. The lower half of the handle assemblies are identical so I will use the handle assembly of the 10521 and just use the top cap of the C21ZMR without the BBC release lever and use the C21ZMR engine stop cable.

This is the 10591 panel update completed

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is the heavy corrosion in the carburetor. I think this carb can be saved but I have to get some parts which are unobtanium right now so I will take the carb off the engine of the 10591. When I removed it I found that the oil from the oil reservoir had leaked down into the intake of the engine and filled most of the carburetor as well. So as a result the carburetor was preserve for that 8 years it has been sitting by that layer of oil. It was extremely easy to clean out all the jets and components and it looks brand new now. The only issue was that the choke plate was siezed in place from all those years in one spot. Just deep cleaned it with carb cleaner and used clock oil to lube it good and now its like new. in operation.

Worth its weight in gold Im here to tell you

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M21 I see the steel adjustment notch plates you spoke of. Looks like an easy transfer to the 10591. Looks like they were just there to help reinforce the notches on the front adjusters. Maybe because the earlier deck as magnesium while the 10591 deck is aluminum. We can see the weakness of the magnesium deck on the picture I posted earlier.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rolling Chassis about finished and ready for the power plant. Had to stop today because I need a new drive belt and a blade for non BBC. Had several BBC blades but not this one.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way M21, those self tapping phillips head screws on those metal front brackets were a real pain. I had to tap the holes several times to get those screws to secure those plates. Sheesh!

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you folks with spare parts for these mowers would check your stash for a rope guide that mounts on the right hand handle bar that the rope slips through and holds the pull starter handle I would greatly appreciate it. Naturally it has to be broken too. :( The 10591 doesnt use one because it has BBC.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
your right about those carbs being uber rare. they have been out of production as long as we have been on this form. if push comes to shove you can use the bbc starter but I know its not authentic.all my spare M parts are from a bbc model. that's funny and fortunate about the oil preserving the carb. my 2 M,s haven't been run in at least 10 years. I can only imagine what I am in for if I try to bring them back to life. I have so few yards where I can use them I just mothballed them.plus I was worried about collateral damage on the trailer. they look rugged but actually aren't.

·
Turf consultant
108 Posts
Your talk about carbs is scaring me. I picked up a 10590 a long time ago and never looked at the carb. I’ll have to do that later this summer.

·
Turf consultant
108 Posts
I got a harbor freight ultra sonic cleaner and its fantastic for carbs. has increased my success rate with carb rehabs
Do you use any special cleaning fluid in the cleaner? I’ve heard that quality varies with ultrasonic cleaners so it’s good to hear that the HF version works well for carbs.

·
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lars dont give up yet, I am investigating comparable parts in the JX75 carburetor which is also a mikuni and can be had cheap. I just have to do some comparisons as I get time. What I wish I could find is just some dad burned gasgets Good grief.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
you can use a variety of cleaners -I am using purple power cleaner. but the bomb is to use gasoline. you have to have a glass jar big enough for your article and fill it with gas. fill the reservoir with plain water and place gas filled jar in. havnt tried this yet but saw this on youtube

1 - 20 of 31 Posts