My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is this a desirable mower that is worth keeping, running and enjoying? Somebody nearby is selling a running original model, and I wondered if there is any possibility of getting parts if needed. I read in a post that some early LB's are not as desirable because of some less than robust bearings. Does this apply to this 67 model? Thanks.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! Yes, a C-engine "Buttercup" is what I'd call a desirable model. For the right price it would definitely be worth buying, and I myself use my own 1963 buttercup from time to time, so don't be worried if you would like to mow with one. Parts aren't a big problem yet and I've often come across NOS parts for my buttercup at dealers and there are also online sellers that still have parts for them. Take a look around this place, read some posts and make yourself at home.:Welcome1:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'm tying to get into this LB thing, but I have a duraforce which I just can't get running well. This seems to be a temperamental motor. I'm about given up on it, and would like something that is easier to tinker with.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yeah, between the coil and carb issues with the duraforces, they can be a handful. If you ever get the feeling you want to start working on the duraforce again, just tell us what symptoms it is having and we should be able to help you get it running good again. The C-engines can be a bit more complex, but I personally would rather work on a C than a duraforce.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The duraforce - I bought it but the owner said it ran great but then he messed with it before I came. It has 120 copression, which I checked when I came, and that was cold. The mower has been crazy with the revving up and down. I replaced the plug, checked the ports (clean), cleaned the carb, replaced the carb gaskets. I ordered a 60-80 drill bit set and oversized the jets. I put in a fuel cutoff and filter and cleaned the tank and all the carb parts. I have to go pick up a new governor spring tomorrow because I don't have anything left to try. It seems to be functioning ok (the spring) but what else? I ordered a new float and inlet but those appeared fine. One of the things that bothered me is that I can't get the adjustment on the throttle to do anything. It is on high all the time no matter where I set it because the level doesn't seem to move the plate at all between the two setttings.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
The duraforce - One of the things that bothered me is that I can't get the adjustment on the throttle to do anything. It is on high all the time no matter where I set it because the level doesn't seem to move the plate at all between the two setttings.
That sounds like a good percentage of your problem. I'd figure out whats causing it to bind. I'd also make sure that theres no trash or grime around the governor spring.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Also make sure that the primer line retainer is in place, so the primer line isn't interfering with the air vane. That could be an issue.

Welcome!

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
Should be a 3 ringer motor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the welcomes. This is a great forum. I haven't had a chance to pick up the new spring for the duraforce, and it is hard to work on it because it is too loud to start later in the evening, and it frankly terrifies my toddler when he hears it. What I meant by the throttle adjustment is that the movement from high to low doesn't seem to close the butterfly plate enough to make a difference in the rpm at all though there is no binding. I did not know that there was a primer retainer because it isn't present at all, maybe I can just tie it with a twisty. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back to the 3002. It is a magnesium deck model. Is that the standard issue for this machine? Also, did this mower have a bag that could still be had? If I buy it, I'd have to part with the duraforce if anybody in NJ/bucks county PA area would want it. I paid 45 for it and added a mulch plate and the parts listed above.

I also have a 10301 available from my uncle which he offered to me. He is going to curb it. I was the original owner and when I moved I gave it to him. He used it for years, but upon storage a couple of years ago, he said it needed to cool down before it would start after emptying the bag. I'm sure it is an easy fix so I'd hate to see it thrown out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts