My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Farmall Super C, I let it sit out too long, no cover on the exhaust. It's locked up tight as a drum right now, and I think the block is cracked.

I posted on the homebuilt section, I was thinking of making something else altogether out of it. But what I'd really like to do is make it the best Super C it can be.

I want to change to a wide front end, and either rebuild or replace this motor. I would love a diesel, but I don't know if there is one that would fit. If I don't go diesel, I guess I just want to rebuild this motor and make it all it can be.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'll take pictures when possible, there's too much stuff around it in the barn right now to get a good picture.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know French Farmall Super C's are all Diesel, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how expensive the conversion would be.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Super C's are great tractors, so I'd just rebuild the engine. I have seen turbo conversion kits, if you really want a project that would produce more power.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
My Grandpa had a cracked block on his Super C, he either brazed it or welded it but I can't remember, can you weld cast iron?

Anyway,

It was 30 years old when he got it, when it got a rebuild and then worked solid for 24 years every day, and still runs today in my cousin's care down in NC. Guess that repair was a good one, it's still holding up.

It is an extremely versitile machine.

·
luv old tractors
20 Posts
Brazing or welding can be done but you risk cracking the block somewhere else. There is a company that makes "stitches" for blocks that work quite well. I would not recommend diesel as so few were built. Before you try that, or turbo, see if the motor is an old c113. The new rebuild kits have bigger pistons and sleeves so you will get more horses in a rebuild. Try confirming the nature of the crack in the block. In some cases you can run it with a cracked block. I have such a block in my super AV, and she runs just fine. Blocks can be found but they are usually in a donor tractor….:trink40:

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I had the block for my 8N brazed.

I would depend it on where the crack is... mine was in the 'skirt' so... not really a lot of pressure... and it wasn't a large crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts