My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm gonna be needing a coil, points, condenser, carb kit, and assorted gaskets to get the Buttercup back up and running. Anyone know of anyplace that still sells such things? Will stuff for a D work?

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
I'm getting into all my older engines like the C's now. Tough finding parts. I just recieved an order from Ebay, bought a bunch of NOS C parts. I'm stocking up when I find them.

Not sure what all crossed over from the D400 and C series. There were several different C's with different bores. This is some stuff I'm kinda learning right now as I rebuild a C-10 and a D-480.

TEW does have some stuff, I just ordered some. If you look in there, you'll see points, a coil, a carb kit http://tewarehouse.com/Catalog/056

I've been finding parts at Mowpart as well using part numbers from the LB MPV.

Here's your reed plate gasket http://www.mowpart.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=604000&osCsid=qq11omnuq64h4r11ep654kf2j1&search.x=20&search.y=7

cylinder gasket http://www.mowpart.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=604116&osCsid=qq11omnuq64h4r11ep654kf2j1&search.x=15&search.y=14

armature plate gasket http://www.mowpart.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=602763&osCsid=qq11omnuq64h4r11ep654kf2j1&search.x=9&search.y=14

Just take your P/N from the LB MPV and paste it into the search at Mowpart

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Hopefully the brand new OE C engine I have in the box is similar enough that I can use the cylinder, piton, conn rod and so forth from it. I'm hoping to scrounge a lot from it. But the stuff on the magneto plate and the carb bits are what I need. Your sources will help. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a SP-C42, or so it says on the tag. Must be made for a SP mower, like someone said. The case has a spot for a belt to run in. I'm not sure the original Buttercup cylinder, piston and so forth are any good, since the piston was siezed. They might clean up, but then I'd be looking for rings and bearings. Who knows where to find those?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I do hate to take it apart for parts, since OMC was nice enough to make it special at their factory and everything. I'd trade it for a new C engine. My chances of getting an automower are zero, since I don't care for SP.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Funny enough, NAPA has aftermarket C-engine coils. Just take your lawnboy coil part number and enter it in NAPA's part looker-upper. I have to get a coil there for my Quiet-flite soon, I want to hear her sing this summer :ROF

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know about the coils. Thanks, guys! Maybe I'll try to clean up what I have first, and save the Automower engine for a 'Plan B'. It does seem a shame to use it for parts.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Good to know about the coils. Thanks, guys! Maybe I'll try to clean up what I have first, and save the Automower engine for a 'Plan B'. It does seem a shame to use it for parts.
Evinrude deales can get "C" coils too. In fact they may even have one on the shelf. I have a small Evinrude outboard that uses two of those coils. They were popular because they sit under the flywheel as opposed to outside the flywheel like D series engines did.

I desire the automower shortblock but I'm not sure the lower crankcases would cross with my "D" series automower apps. Otherwise I'd offer you a trade or something for it.

Neal

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, truth be know, it would probably be a better setup if I could use a D piston just to get away from the 3 ring setup, and enable the use of 32:1 instead of 16:1. I just don't know what would interchange.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
I was surprised to tear down my C-10 and find a 2 ring piston. I assumed it would be a 3 ring and it's the standard 1 15/16" bore of the early C engines. All bushing engine, not a bearing to be found anywhere.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has bearings, and a 3-ring piston. Do you suppose someone rebuilt yours and did what I am contemplating doing to mine?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I should measure what I have so I know what bore I'm looking for in a 2-ring piston. Maybe Evinrude has 2-ring pistons....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With a 2.125" bore?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts