My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week a seal failed at 18 hours and all the hydraulic fluid ended up in my driveway - I spent 4 hours last Monday at the dealer waiting to get that fixed.

Yesterday, at 29 hours, I turned the ignition switch off - and the tractor kept running. The Temp and Fuel Gage's drop down and the Tach goes off as if it shut down, but the engine keeps running. The safety kills don't work (they did before this happened). If I engage the PTO, and step out of the seat, the PTO remains engaged and the MMM continues to run. The HST forward and reverse will engage if I'm out of the seat.

I shut it down by putting the HST in high, setting the parking brake, and stalling it. I've started it twice since but the the same situation recurs.

A fellow from Australia (OTT forum - thank you kubseki) was kind enough to direct me to Dave's Aug 2010 post on shutting down using the fuel injector cut-off (http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=144843), and I see that this issue may be about a 20 Amp fuse. Tomorrow I'm going to try hooking up a wire to the fuel injector pump shut down.

I was considering putting the BX back onto the trailer on Monday and driving the 50 miles back to the dealer and losing another day from work. But since reading Dave's post, if I can get the shut-off to work, I may just call the dealer and have them come out to fix it.

I'm beginning to wonder if this thing came off the assembly line on a Friday afternoon.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Not good initial impressions. Hope it all gets worked out and this is the end of your woes.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
C-Dory, Like JDFanatic mentioned, I hope it does get worked out. The positive that I can say is threads about problems

with Kubotas do not come up that often. They make a great tractor and have been the leaders in the SCUT market for years.:fing32:

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave's (volfandt) tip on the fuel injector pump switch was a great help. I ran a stiff wire from the switch straight forward out through the exhaust port on the engine cover and terminated in a small unobtrusive loop. Clearances in the compartment look good. Now I have a safe way to shut it down with a gloved hand. Works great. At least I can use the tractor until the dealer gets it fixed.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
do not turn the key off then get off the seat
hope that helps you

john but be sure to turn off the key after it stops running

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it figured out.

After reading Dave's 2010 post, and not seeing any fuses blown, I started thinking (finally) that perhaps some other electrical issus akin to a blown fuse might be causing it. I started tracing the wiring harness and connections and found a seperated plug (see photo). That was all it was. I assume that when it was assembled, the plug lock had not fully engaged and while it was shaking away at idle, it finally shook lose.

The BX is working again!

Interesting that when it is under warranty, I don't engage my brain, thinking first that it must be some fatal flaw - get it back to the dealer and let them fix it. Obviously I need to settle into ownig this thing and get used to working with it, instead of just sitting on it.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I'd have wasted a day if it wasn't for this forum and the OTT forum. Nice to know that you are not alone with your BX, and that folks are so willing to give of their time to help.

Attachments

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I almost got it all right. The tractor shuts down just fine using the ignition key switch. But the safety features still are not working - I can step off the tractor with the PTO engaged and it does not shut down, and I can stand next to it while it is running and push on the forward or reverse petal and it does not shut down - it moves! I'll ruminate on this some more, but if I don't get it figured out, I'll talk to the dealer about it.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Hopefully the remaining problem with the safety features is a simple fix, too.

I wonder if they may have had to disconnect somethings when they were making the earlier hydraulic repairs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts