My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new BX2380. I've only put 3 hours on it since taking delivery. All the time has been spent blowing snow. I've noticed if I raise the 50" blower to its full height there is a terrible grinding sound. I'm sure this is caused by something coming in contact with the PTO shaft.The blower was installed by the dealer prior to delivery. I contacted the dealer and was told this is how the system is designed and there is no fix. This is very hard to believe. I can't imagine Kubota putting this system in the field with such a design defect. Is anyone else experiencing this problem and/or is there a fix for it?

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
If you are lifting to full height with it running and it has universal joints on driveshaft you may be hearing them. I just noticed this on the 47 blower on My JD 322 that I picked up recently. Does it go away with just a little less height? Although mine is not a "terrible" grinding noise, it is just noticeably noisier than when not raised all the way.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I didn’t notice it when operating his new 50” blower on his BX2380. Most of the time I don’t raise it that high to speed things up. The dealer installed his too. I’ll look when I am at his house next time. You may want to get another opinion from another dealer.

·
We're all friends here
14,177 Posts
On my Quick Attach for the blower, there is support bracket for the blower shaft when it is not connected to the driveline. If you have that support make sure it is folded down when they are connected. Otherwise the shaft spinning on the bracket will make a racket.

·
Premium Member
7,673 Posts
Shut off the PTO and lift the blower to its full height and then get off the tractor and look underneath to see what it might be touching. I don't know if the design has changed in the last 6 years, but have a 50" blower on my 2014 BX25D and I can raise it to the full height without it making any noise, but I usually shut off the PTO when I lift it up except for when I'm doing a quick maneuver to reposition the blower and will be dropping it down again quickly.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a new BX2380. I've only put 3 hours on it since taking delivery. All the time has been spent blowing snow. I've noticed if I raise the 50" blower to its full height there is a terrible grinding sound. I'm sure this is caused by something coming in contact with the PTO shaft.The blower was installed by the dealer prior to delivery. I contacted the dealer and was told this is how the system is designed and there is no fix. This is very hard to believe. I can't imagine Kubota putting this system in the field with such a design defect. Is anyone else experiencing this problem and/or is there a fix for it?
Why would you do this? You are putting that short shaft in a position it's NOT designed for, and that's probably what you are hearing. I can't think of one reason where running the blower in a full up position would be needed. The only time I have ever raised my blower all the way is when I was loading it on trailer, and I never had it running.

·
We're all friends here
14,177 Posts
I have raised and run the blower many times, but not constantly. So far, I have not heard the noise the OP mentioned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can't speak for the BX, but I've run my front mount Bercomac blower in full up many times on my Kioti 2210 over this past winter.
Sometimes to cut a bank off before lowering to move the rest (out on the roadside/mailbox area for instance).
Sometimes just to back up.
Never an issue. Nor would I expect there to be one.

mle - I myself would call a different dealer to get a "second" opinion.
They may ask if you bought it from them and you can be honest about that.
You don't have to tell them which dealer you bought it from or what your dealer told you.
Simply see what they say about the issue.
Go from there... (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I talked to two dealers and they both indicated that this is a known condition and suggested I not raise the blower all the way. It is obviously a design flaw. They dealer I purchased the blower from offered to take the blower back and exchange it for a front snow blade and refund the difference. I am taking him up on his offer and putting the difference toward an FEL. The dealer has gone out of his way to see that I am satisfied with my purchase.

·
We're all friends here
14,177 Posts
It's good that your dealer is trying to help, but before you trade away your blower, consider the consequences. A snow blower and a plow blade are two different attachments and each one has a special purpose. You now have the ability to move snow far away from your driveway and to direct it somewhat where you want it. You will lose that ability with a plow. On the other hand, a plow is good for scraping if you have a solid surface, especially with slush. I wouldn't ditch the snow blower just because it makes noise at full height. If you really want a plow, I would just wait for the right time and buy one. Then you 'll have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well, I talked to two dealers and they both indicated that this is a known condition and suggested I not raise the blower all the way. It is obviously a design flaw. They dealer I purchased the blower from offered to take the blower back and exchange it for a front snow blade and refund the difference. I am taking him up on his offer and putting the difference toward an FEL. The dealer has gone out of his way to see that I am satisfied with my purchase.
Well I can tell you the blower my friend got last fall does not make a noise when raised. Who at the dealers told you that it was a ”known” condition? If it wasn’t the service department, I would ask them to see if you get the same answer. The dealer my friend got his from did the whole setup and is a farm implement dealer located in the middle of no where and they got it right.
They are more than capable and it would only cost you some time to call them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts