My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the snow blower on my BX2380 for the first time last week. We had about 3" of heavy snow. Set the RPMs at around 3000 and started down the driveway. The blower would not pickup the snow and continued to jam up. Couldn't get the engine RPMs any higher. Is this typical performance. My smaller JD would handle this easily. What am I doing wrong? Disappointed.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The blower on my BX23D works great in some snow conditions but not in others. It is always able to blow snow out of the chute to begin with, but the wetter and heavier the snow, the more often the chute clogs, so I have to get off the tractor and clear the chute. I usually run mine in the 2600 to 2800 engine rpm range. Also, slowing down the forward speed of the tractor seems to help when the snow is wet and heavy.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I’ve run my friend’s BX2380 with 50” blower twice now. First time snow was pretty dry and powdery so NO issues then. Later in the day last Monday the snow was heavy and soon became wet below. It didn’t have any issue clogging, but it didn’t want to throw it very far either, especially straight ahead. I had used my X738 54” blower early that morning and didn’t have any issue, but after lunch when the sun was shining before going to my friend’s, it too struggled with the wetter conditions, so I would expect it was more about the snow conditions than it was the blower. Opinion is working out.

·
Super Moderator
27,515 Posts
Attaching rubber to the impeller blades to close the gap between the blade and housing, increases the ability to handle wet slush considerably. Here's a video of a guy putting them on a walk behind but same principal applies to all.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMAgb3QNEE8

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I would suggest, before modifying/upgrading anything, to observe what is happening up front (ie, with someone else operating the tractor, look in the front of the snowblower and see why it's not properly blowing the snow). Or set up a video camera or your phone to record it.

·
We're all friends here
13,993 Posts
That blower should be able to throw 3" of snow even when heavy. You may have to slow down a bit but I would agree with Dave. It sounds like the impeller is not working and/or one or both of the augers. Make sure everything is turning. Also, make sure you have the PTO lever in the mid-mount setting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That blower should be able to throw 3" of snow even when heavy. You may have to slow down a bit but I would agree with Dave. It sounds like the impeller is not working and/or one or both of the augers. Make sure everything is turning. Also, make sure you have the PTO lever in the mid-mount setting.
I haven't had a chance to observe what the blower is doing from the front but I did attempt to blow more heavy wet snow from the drive this evening. It was very obvious what was happening. The first pass down the driveway the blower functioned, throwing the snow several feet from the tractor. Halfway down the second it stopped throwing snow. The chute was completely clogged, The augers were turning but nothing could get up the chute. Why would anyone sell a $3k attachment that didn't work properly without some aftermarket mod being performed on it?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
When the snow is wet and heavy it will clog the chute if you go too fast. If the tractor is kept inside a heated garage it can be even worse because the warm metal melts things until it cools down to match the ambient temperature and the melted stuff helps cause more ice and slush that clogs the chute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts