My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the famous Brady Barlow quoted me a price for a BX2360 configured to my specs for a certain price delivered just a moment ago in an email. Great price by the way. Loader and 54" deck for $xx,XXX price... Lets keep it at $xx,XXX because it's not my business to advertise Mr. Barlow's prices he offers his customers.

On the OTHER HAND, a local dealer ran out of BX2360's at the last home show 2 weeks ago, but claims he will sell me a BX2660 loaded the same way, at the same price he was selling his BX2360's for. He however is including loaded tires, and a block heater. HOWEVER there is a substantial difference in price between Mr. Barlows offer and my local guys offer. ( keep in mind i shopped around and my local guy is by far the cheapest for local new kubota purchases ) Do i assume the difference is in NY sales tax ? Do i pay tax on my purchase to Mr. Barlow ?

The total difference between Mr. Barlows offered price for a BX2360 and my local mans price for a BX2660 is $1,378 dollars APPROXIMATELY.

My local guy can have the machine here saturday morning, free delivery. I have not worked any shipping dates out with Mr. Barlow.

Do i pay local and get a slightly more powerful machine , at $1,378 more but with loaded tires and a block heater thrown in ? And hopefully feel confident in future dealer warranty/recall/service issues with my local guy ?

Do i go cheap, save a substantial amount of money, but then get screwed by my local guy on warranty/recall/service issues with my local guy out of possible spite?

I haven't worked out details with Mr. Barlow yet. For all i know, he also tosses in a block heater and loads tires.

i DO NOT NEED the extra horsepower but what guy would pass up extra horsepower ?

Lastly, my local dealer had 2 BX2660's in stock left when i saw him at a local home show this past saturday. He said he was sure they would both be sold by sunday night. With kubota's specials on rebates, plus rebates on 2 or more implements, and financing, here in upstate NY, it is VERY LIKELY he was drop dead honest. If i pass on the BX2660 now, there i'm sure are a line of customers my dealer has, waiting to pick it up happily at said price.

What say the hive ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
How big is your property? What do you need it for?

Personaly I find the price difference for a stronger machine marginal and wouldn't think twice and get it locally. Then again I would have them include the first major service.

There is a reason why the typical recomendation by many experienced users here is "choose your tractor and then go one size bigger".

Good luck,

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
A good local dealer that you appreciate, it's a big plus IMO.

Do i pay local and get a slightly more powerful machine , at $1,378 more but with loaded tires and a block heater thrown in ? And hopefully feel confident in future dealer warranty/recall/service issues with my local guy ?

Do i go cheap, save a substantial amount of money, but then get screwed by my local guy on warranty/recall/service issues with my local guy out of possible spite?

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,083 Posts
Who is your local dealer? If he is located in Charlton, then from my personal experience, I would go with Barlow's, or someone else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Who is your local dealer? If he is located in Charlton, then from my personal experience, I would go with Barlow's, or someone else.
Wow. Those are harsh words. Yes its that guy. Can you please PM (Private Message) me ?

I need to know why u feel that way.

The other kubota guy wanted like 4 g's more than the charlton guy.

The deal is set anyhow. Grill guard, block heater, rim guard in tires. Free delivery and a shirt.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Tough call. If not for Al's comments, I'd probably lean toward the local deal.

i DO NOT NEED the extra horsepower but what guy would pass up extra horsepower ? ...
I personally would prefer the BX2360. The engine is physically smaller and is a better fit in that engine compartment. The D1005 engine used in the BX2660 comes from a larger engine family (much bigger block) and is really shoe-horned in. Whereas the D902 engine (BX2360) is dimensionally the same size as the BX1860 engine, but in a larger engine compartment. So ther eis more space for routine maintenance (of course, the cowl can always be completely removed.)

Then there is the somewhat better fuel efficiency, and the supposedly quieter design of the Super-Mini engines.

Also, while the BX2660 seat is taller and reclines, it does not accept the optional armrests available for the BX1860/2360 seat.

All that said, the BX2660 is still a great package -- just expressing my personal preference and why.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good decision to buy the 2660. I'm very glad I bought the 60. The reclining seat is awesome, as I have a bad back. I like what 7Sleeper said - buy one tractor size bigger. I was going to get a 2360, but I decided the extra horsepower was worth the money. If I would have bought the smaller engine, I would always think I should have got the bigger one. You can never have too much horsepower! And yes, you would have to pay New York sales tax. If Mr. Barlows is located out of state, he might not charge you sales tax. But you would have to report it on your state income tax and pay it to New York come tax time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided to go local. I viewed the detailed invoice and it made perfect sense.. Im putting $6,000 down and financing the rest at approx. $169 a month with kubota insurance imcluded. Very affordable and a LOT of tractor for the money if you ask me.

Dealer threw in rim guard, engine block heater, a shirt, and free delivery. I appreciate the previous members opinion and back story we discussed outside of this forum, but in the end my experience with the salesman, and the price, extra horsepower, plus spending locally and being able to trust them with service and warranty issues in the future is paramount to me.

The machine is scheduled for delivery on saturday (maybe friday if they get ahead of schedule) .

I'll post a pick when it comes!

Thank you all who responded!

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,083 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase Chris. i'm sure you will enjoy many years with your new tractor and find lots of jobs for it, and hopefully you will have a good dealer experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts