My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I test drove one today, and to say the least I came away very impressed! The BX24 is a super sout machine for it's size! I played around with the BH on a gravel lot that was covered in ice and froze solid, and the bx had no hesitation in sinking the teeth right in.

My decision is made, now I'm just gathering useful info.

·
4,221 Posts
I test drove one today, and to say the least I came away very impressed! The BX24 is a super sout machine for it's size! I played around with the BH on a gravel lot that was covered in ice and froze solid, and the bx had no hesitation in sinking the teeth right in.

My decision is made, now I'm just gathering useful info.
Did you get to play with the FEL and BH? You are starting to find out how strong these little tractors are. Glad you had a good day. :bananapow

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mayor,

I did a search on the smartfarmer site but didn't see any bolt on hooks. Thinking about putting a pair on my 45 loader. If anyone knows where I can order some on line, sure would appreciate it. Dealer only has the weld on type - and I ain't no welder unfortunately.

Another thought I had was if I put a tooth bar on the bucket, could I use a couple of the teeth as hooks for chains? I'd have to use it with the bucket tilted way back. Any thoughts on that approach? I know with my machine, either way I'd have to limit the weight of what I'd lift.

·
4,221 Posts
Mayor,

I did a search on the smartfarmer site but didn't see any bolt on hooks. Thinking about putting a pair on my 45 loader. If anyone knows where I can order some on line, sure would appreciate it. Dealer only has the weld on type - and I ain't no welder unfortunately.

Another thought I had was if I put a tooth bar on the bucket, could I use a couple of the teeth as hooks for chains? I'd have to use it with the bucket tilted way back. Any thoughts on that approach? I know with my machine, either way I'd have to limit the weight of what I'd lift.
My bucket is a quick detatch is yours? If it is I was thinking you could just take the bucket to a welder and get them put on. Drop the bucket in your truck bed or the SUV. The weld on ones are very nice and easy to find.

Maybe David can give you the name of the company he used for his. I did a search on the few sites I use and came up with zip.

As for the toothbar I can not see it working well. Let us know how you make out. :goodl:

·
MTF Member
91 Posts
Chris, these are the exact hooks I ordered. They are from Fastenal part #44044. Follow the link and you can order them direct. You will also need bolts, warshers and nuts. Parts #'s for the bolts were 0115360 and the nuts were 1136416. I didnt get washers so I dont know the #'s on those. I would go with a 1/4 longer bolt if available to acccomadate the washers the outside of the bucket. Hope this helps....

Nav

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=44044

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you get to play with the FEL and BH? You are starting to find out how strong these little tractors are. Glad you had a good day. :bananapow
Yes I did. It just gave me the bug to buy one all the more! :eek:mg: I have completed my shopping around to dealers, now I am just dealing on the machine that I decided on.
BTW, my wife wasn't all for the backhoe attachment, until she saw how many and what jobs I'd use it for......Now she likes the idea alot better.:bannana:

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Mayor,

CHD,

Your Deere dealer will have forged weld-on hooks for sale and fairly cheap.

·
4,221 Posts
CHD,

Your Deere dealer will have forged weld-on hooks for sale and fairly cheap.
I was thinking that to but I had to get hooks for my dealer to weld on. :banghead3

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks guys.

Mayor, my bucket isn't a quick disconnect type, but does come off.

And JDF, the dealer does have forged hooks that they can weld on to my bucket. I was just thinking I could avoid the hassle of taking the bucket off and bringing it in for them to weld them on. I guess I could drop the bucket onto my pickup bed and then pull the pins - hope they'd come off easy, I bought my loader used.

I think I'll check out the bolt on types first, so thanks David N for the link. Will look those over. You don't happen to have a pic of how you mounted them on your 'bota?

·
4,221 Posts
Thanks guys.

Mayor, my bucket isn't a quick disconnect type, but does come off.

And JDF, the dealer does have forged hooks that they can weld on to my bucket. I was just thinking I could avoid the hassle of taking the bucket off and bringing it in for them to weld them on. I guess I could drop the bucket onto my pickup bed and then pull the pins - hope they'd come off easy, I bought my loader used.

I think I'll check out the bolt on types first, so thanks David N for the link. Will look those over. You don't happen to have a pic of how you mounted them on your 'bota?
I have mine mounted on the very end of the bucket but if I had to do it again I would line them up with the loader arms. Also another one in the middle would work well. Just my two cents. :thThumbsU

·
MTF Member
91 Posts
Hey Chris, I had these in my files, I still need to add reinforcement to the outer edge of the bucket but they have worked out great for me...

Nav

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The last pic doesn't show the hooks?:hide: :sorry1:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most dealers up here will weld them on for you as part of the deal.Im sure you can get them to do it,your spending enough money there.I have one in the middle ,i like it there for lifting,and chaining to the trailer.I wrap the safety chains on my trailers to it to move them around in the yard.
ALAN

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think I'd like to just do one in the middle. Seems practical for my use.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I think I'd like to just do one in the middle. Seems practical for my use.

I have one in the middle on my FEL and I have had several times when I really needed the hooks on the sides. I plain this summer to add the hooks to the sides as it will make it work better for me. Normally I do not need them but if you are picking up a log or when I need to transport my equipment and I place it in the bed of my truck, it balances better with the hooks on ths sides.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hey Chris, I had these in my files, I still need to add reinforcement to the outer edge of the bucket but they have worked out great for me...

Nav
David,

Thanks - looks pretty straightforward. I was just on the phone with Markham welding about getting a toothbar for my bucket. Turns out they ship a square piece of plate steel to provide added support where the toothbar bolts through the bucket sidewalls, and they recommend it be welded on. So, if I order one of their toothbars (need to do some more measuring), I might go the weld on route for hooks since I'll need these plates welded on anyway. We'll see.

http://www.markhamwelding.com/skid-steer-attachments/tooth-bar.html

Oh, and my what nice teeth you have there on that bucket too. :ROF

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went to a hardware store and bought 2, 3/8" eye grab hooks. Then I took them to a grinder to flatten the back side and the back of the eye. Then welded them to the top outer ed ges. Not a fan of putting a hook in the center. Have seen too many bent buckets over the years, from lack of reinforcement in the center. Don't do it! I just pulled a 4" elm tree out roots and all with those two outside hooks. To get a centered pull you just have to from a "y" with the chain. This is easiest to do with the grab hooks. You wrap the one end around, or hook it, then run it up to one hook. Then use the other grab hook on the chain to pull the attached end to the center. Then place the that chain in the other bucket hook. There will be some amount of slack to deal with in between the bucket hooks.

Also I have noticed that my loader seems to have more power in the bucket curl up mode than in the loader lift mode. So when I hook my chain I have the bucket in the dump position. Then I lift the loader to remove the slack in the chain. Then depending on the weight I will curl the bucket to lift the object. When pulling the elm tree out tonight mt loader would by-pass, but the curl mode would lift the rear wheels off the ground about 2'. Then with the 4x4 engaged I was able to slowly back up on the front wheels. Do this with caution as it will pull the rear wheels even higher.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few weeks ago I bought a BX2350,told the dealer I would be there Saturday morning,to watch them set it up,I showed up at 7a.m. just to look around a little,the salesman showed up at 7:30,told him I changed my mind,wanted the BX2660,so ya that's what I have,and just love it,60" mower,and 48" bucket

21 - 39 of 39 Posts