·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Finally you got your tractor back. :fing32:

A bit hard to swallow the bill thought. :(

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Glad to hear you got the tractor back and it's working just fine for you. It could've been worse. slkpk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Glad to hear you got the tractor back and it's working just fine for you. It could've been worse. slkpk
Yeah, when I went to the shop to pay I was really depressed. Then Joe, the mechanic that worked on the tractor, told me a story that made me feel a bit better.

Seems a guy came to the shop that had just bought a brand new Kubota zero turn. He came with a flatbed trailer and for reasons known only to him, drove it on the trailer, set the parking brake on it, and headed home. He came back about an hour later with a pile of Kubota mower parts... The story he told was this: He was on I-75 doing about 75 when the car in front of him suddenly swerved hard left. He did the same, but too late for the trailer tires to avoid a tire carcass from a semi truck. It bounced the trailer so hard the mower fell off the side of the trailer! Needless to say it was a total loss... :crybaby: The guy was trying to get his auto insurance to cover it...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I mowed the weeds (no grass growing due to drought and 100+ degree temps for two weeks) and the tractor seems to respond to speed changes much faster. However...

New problem:Before the work, the fwd/rev pedal functioned perfectly, now it's operation is very jerky and it does not want to return to center ie it creeps forward or backward unless I tap the pedal a time or too. I think there is an adjustment for that I need to check?
Also if you let off quickly while moving in reverse you get whip lash it stops so fast. I remember reading on here that this was a problem on the older BX HST's. What could the dealer have done while replacing the case to cause this? Is there any adjustment for that symptom?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Check if the pivot point of the pedal mechanism it's grease properly, I read it should have a zerk there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks I'll check that this weekend when I will be changing the oil in the engine and greasing everything. I will also look into the centering adjustment.

I also need to weld (for the second time) the air filter canister bracket back on. It was broke when I got it, I welded it once, and it's already broken again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I pulled a really stupid one today...
For most of the week I have been working my BX2230 hard. I have about 1/2 acre of bare dirt that I was trying to get grass to grow on. I had a friend come plow it up and have been using a landscape rake to rake it smooth. Today I borrowed a PTO spreader and thought, I will drop the MMM before I start spreading so I can sharpen the blades and mow after I'm done. Just after I had gotten the deck loose from the lift arms and rolled it forward to disengage the PTO shaft, my phone rang. I took the lomg distracting call then finished yanking the deck out from under the mower.

I had spread almost a full load of seed and was headed back to refill. I reached back, shut off the seed feed lever then like I had been doing all morning I grabbed the PTO disengage lever and pulled it back to turn off the PTO... Only it wasn't the PTO disengage lever I grabbed it was the MMM,rear PTO lever! Pulling it back of course engaged the mid PTO. The tractor started making a horrible clanging noise then just quit! I was like ***? I quickly realized I had grabbed the wrong lever but what was the noise? Well I started it back up after putting the PTO back in rear only mode, then put it it gear and... nothing, no motion at all... Then I saw the river of hydraulic fluid running out from under the tractor... :praying:

I knew then what I had forgotten to do when dropping the MMM. I did not remove the PTO stub shaft from the mid PTO output shaft! The phone call just made me forget...

When I looked under the tractor my heart sank. The hydraulic filter was lying in the dirt, and fluid was pouring out. I grabbed my oil change bucket and threw under it to catch what I could. The stub shaft flailing around had sheared off the filter. The mounting nipple from the front of the case was still in the filter end.

So now what? After looking at this it appears that the HST case will have to be split and the front half of it replaced. This is not going to be cheap is it?
The dealer close to me had already closed so it will be Monday before I can even call... I'll try to take some pics later... Oh it also deformed the end of the stub shaft so that will have to be replaced as well...
Good day, i just did the same thing, can that cover be removed in position or do the transmission have to come out? Thank you.

·
Administrator
16,814 Posts
Good day, i just did the same thing, can that cover be removed in position or do the transmission have to come out? Thank you.
I'm sure you saw that the last post on this thread was in July 2017. The OP was last on the forum four months ago. Perhaps he will see your post, but suggest you send him an email. Hope you get the info you need.
MikeC

41 - 48 of 48 Posts