My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bx1860 propeller shaft joint cover

I crawled up under my 1860 looking for an antifreeze leak today- easy fix, just a slightly loose hose- and I noticed that the propeller shaft cover closest to the engine is pretty much toast. The one back by the fan looks like its fine, but the front one has seen better days.

I need to be able to plow snow this winter. Is this a diy or dealer job and is it something I can put off until spring?

Thanks...

Mike

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stopped by the dealer today. The mechanic said that I could slide the engine out and disconnect the propeller shaft- he said that it's really not hard and I shouldn't be intimidated by the project. The replacement boot is less than $5. OR I could just wrap a piece of innertube around it and secure it with zip ties.

I'm going with the innertube and zip tie method.

Mike

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I can't visualize the cover now but I wonder of one of those bolt together auto CV joint covers would work?
Course I always keep some innertube in my stash, it's an amazingly diverse product :D

Good luck
Dave

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Mike,

How old is your BX? I guess you're not under warranty anymore?

It seems odd that the boot would deteriorate so quickly, especially compared to the one at the other end. Could something caustic have dripped on it, and if so, did that drip/leak take place while the tractor was still under warranty?

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've had 3 different leaks. The first one was hydraulic fluid squirting out the rear from a bad fitting. The second one was hydraulic fluid up under the dash/console- another bad fitting. That one might have leaked on the boot. Both of those were fixed under warranty. Most recently I had a coolant leak which just required a few twists on a clamp to remedy.

Since my dealers warranty service has been less than stellar, I'd just as soon handle it myself if it falls within my ability range.

·
Super Moderator
34,556 Posts
mike, at least get the part from the dealer under warranty. If you don't put it in right away at least you'll have it when you're ready!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts