My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had this Bx1800 for a month or so now and it runs perfect. Ive noticed a very very slight leak on the left front axle seal were it pivots. From what the previous owner gave me it has Amsoil 2000 75w90 oil in the front axle. Should I grab a couple of pivot seals for 50$ or change the oil to say 80w90 full syn to see if it stops?

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
80w90 is going to act the same as 75w90 once it gets up to temperature. The first number is the viscosity when cold and the second number is when it is warmed up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My dad has a 2002 BX1500 and has replaced the front seals twice. It's a coming of age for the machine that shows it's been used. Get the seals, thoroughly clean and drain the front end, reassemble and lubricate. I always try to stay at factory spec for lubricants vs trying to overpower/overthink the problem. It's a fairly routine fix overall that shouldn't be too daunting with a little patience.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just stopped by a KUBOTA dealer and got a couple of seals, gonna stick with 75w90 synthetic. I have read however that one of the reasons the seals go bad is the fact that the axle is sealed and doesn’t have a breather when it gets hot. I’ve noticed after using it when I open the fill cap you hear a relief of pressure coming out, like 2 or 3 psi of air. Might have to come up with a breather for it using the left fill cap that’s solid.... but for now just gonna change those seals out and refill the axle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well did the work and replaced the seals. Wasn’t too bad just time consuming putting rtv on and taking my time. One side was fine but the other was ate up. I might get into the habit of releasing pressure after I’m done using it so the axle doesn’t maintain pressure on the seals.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts