My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when running a 48inch tiller on my BX-25 that the temp was almost maxed out. I stopped and let her idle down awhile as the guage dropped back into normal. I waited for another 30 minutes or so and checked oil...good to go. I checked the radiator....good to go. I opened the cover below the steering wheel and the radiator fins did have some dust/mud caked up a little, so I washed it all out. But...she still runs right up to the max temp when tilling. Anything else and the temps is fine. Is 48 inch tiller to big?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
It'd be nice to know the exact temp. I had an issue with a VW diesel a few years ago when gauge ran up in temp other than normal. Turned out after verifying with infa-rad thermometer checking both top and bottom hoses all was fine.
You tractor may be fine, you're just working it with a task other than normal? Is it mainly a mower etc?
There was another thread on a similar machine to yours with same over heating issue, or at least it was thought to be.

MU

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,080 Posts
The BX series tractors tend to run warm when put to work in hot weather. The ambient temperature does make a difference. When running the snow blower at near full speed in Winter, the gauge stays in the center area. but when mowing at the same engine speed in Summer heat, the gauge sometimes gets near the red zone. As long as it doesn't boil over or go into the red zone I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My BX2350 (same basic unit) runs from 1/2 gauge normal to about 3/4 gauge in hot weather or if the radiator is starting to accumulate buildup (which you already checked). When cleaning the radiator, try to clean it from the engine side so that you're flushing the debris out of it rather than into it.

I suppose it's possible you're working it too hard if you're moving at too quick of a ground speed. I till in low gear and at the first detent of the cruise control (hold the cruise button at rest, then apply forward pedal until it clicks into the first lock).

Generally you'll hear the motor loading up and start noticing blacker than normal exhaust if you're running it hard enough to overheat it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I told you all about it I wish I would have taken a picture to show where the gauge was at. I basically use it as a mower, backhoe OPS and general carting materials around in the bucket. The garden was a lil wetter than I'd of liked so that might have been a cause also. I do have a infa-rad thermometer gun but I didnt think about that. When I till I'm in low transfer 4x4. Thank you all for the information and advice.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I ran a 4' brush hog for 2.5 hours straight yesterday in mid-80's temps. I got it about 1/2" from getting into the red. I have noticed that high range mowing will get it hotter. I was mowing in low and 4x4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts