My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After all these years I am finally buying my first lawn tractor. Here is what I got, about 1 acres, not real hilly, but bunches of trees, swimming pool, etc. Lots of flower beds, looking at 304 or 324, only want to buy one tractor before I die. Am looking at putting bagger on fro leaf pickup in the fall, that is how I am justifying purchase along with no more lawn service. But the 22 inch troy- bilt mulcher I have is way too small for my lot, but a great mulching mower. Can I expect the same quality of cut with Deere deck, and ok, lets put to a vote, which one should I buy????

Thanks

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would spend the extra money on the x324 for the better K58 hydro unit (vs K46). Deere used to put the K58 in the x304 but stopped in 2008 so you now have to get the x324 to get it. That alone is worth the extra $$ if you plan on keeping this for years.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you aren't going to be hauling a lot of stuff and don't have many inclines, the x304 would work just fine. It is nice to have the x324 just for the k58 but the k46 should last a long time under normal yard work circumstances from everything I have read. The other thing I have read that is that you need to check your deck when it arrives. Seems like a lot of dealers aren't setting it up correctly from the shop.

I was going to purchase a x300 but moved to the x500 when I decided to stop hiring guys to do landscaping at my place. I'm new to the lawn tractor thing so this is just from doing research. There are guys here that know a lot more than me so keep that in mind.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I would spend the extra money on the x324 for the better K58 hydro unit (vs K46). Deere used to put the K58 in the x304 but stopped in 2008 so you now have to get the x324 to get it. That alone is worth the extra $$ if you plan on keeping this for years.
I gotta :ditto: this, thats my vote and by the way :MTF_wel: jammerone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas on the mulching capabilities of the 324? Don't want to bag all the time, and how easy is it to put on and off the bag?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Any ideas on the mulching capabilities of the 324? Don't want to bag all the time, and how easy is it to put on and off the bag?
The bagger unit is well made and easy to take on or off (weight of the bag notwithstanding).

I have the dedicated mulch deck - does a fine job but like any dedicated mulch deck you do get some 'indian feathers' sticking up. Nature of the beast I suppose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, now the big question, I have located a 2006 x304 with 115 hours on it at a deere dealer, but it has been sitting on the lot for over 2 years. Would you buy it if the price was right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
no way! not with that many hours. two years OMG that's horrible. do not buy....... Where exactly is this tractor sitting? :sidelaugh

·
Registered
264 Posts
If in good shape you may get the hydro/tranny you want and save big. I do not know what these are worth. But if it has sat there for that long the dealer is likely to be very motivated. I would find out what guys on here think it is worth. Ask the dealer what he wants, then offer less than you are willing to spend and have some room to mutually give.

Good luck. Sounds like a good fit to me and those are low hrs if the unit looks good.

Yamadoo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts