My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again Everyone...When I first began this journey with no knowledge at all of lawn tractors, I was very concerned. That fear, as I near the end of this pre-buying experience, as been a wonderful experience, thanks to all of you. It is nice to discuss things on a friendly, informative forum sight, without all of the negatives and less than perfect comments of other forums.

I mentioned yesterday I had narrowed my choice from 9 down to 3. I have now narrowed it down to just 2, and one last time, would not mind reading anyone's opinion on my final two choices before I make my purchase over the next several days.

My choice is the Simplicity Regent 22/44 with the B & S Extended Life Series V-Twin Series motor. It retails for $3050 with Mulching Kit, before any discounts, if they give any. I do not want to bag or side discharge my grass, just mulch it.
or
The John Deere X300 17/42 with a Kawasaki V-Twin Engine. It retails for $3099 including the mulching deck.

Simplicity 2-year warranty...John Deere 4 year which might be good for a dummy like me who is not handy when it comes to service.

What what you choose if you were me based on these two. I know it is more than what I really need in a rider since I will only use it for cutting grass, but I thought it might be better to be safe with these better built units than sorry. Who knows, I can always sell my snow blower and add the snow blower attachment to one of these.

The only kicker in all of this was that I had to get out of my mind the John Deere LA-165 for $2675 including mulch kit. That unit looked impressive, but I just read that MTD makes that LA series and not John Deere. Is that true?

Anyway, thanks for the help. Cannot wait to read everyone's choice.

Dave

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I would go with the X300 and MTD does not make any Deere tractor. You are getting a stronger tractor with the 300 with not much difference in price.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would go with the X300 and MTD does not make any Deere tractor. You are getting a stronger tractor with the 300 with not much difference in price.
I agree. If you're talking that kind of money, step up to the X300 w/ the Kawasaki motor.

RE: LA Deeres - no they are not made by MTD they are made by Deere. However, as most on this forum would agree they are not 'real' Deeres. The LAs are the Sabres of yesteryear. You're buying a tractor with Green and Yellow paint manufactured by JD but not what your Dad would consider a 'real' JD. The real ones start at the X300 series, with the X300 and X304 best representing the LT tractors of days of yore.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
MTD does not make Deere tractors, Deere makes Deere tractors. Between the 2 on your list, I'd pick the one that has the best local dealer for parts and service. Ask if they both offer free pick up for repairs or what they charge. If that is a tie, then pick the one that is the most comfortable to sit on, easiest to get on and off of, has the easiest to lift mower, better lights if you have to mow in the early evening, tighter turning radius.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
FOr the $3000 for the JD I'd check out the Cub 2500 Series. A LOT of tractor for that $$. Saw them on sale for $3299. I bought a left-over 2008 for $2995!!
Shaft drive!

·
Registered
10 Posts
MTD does not make Deere tractors, Deere makes Deere tractors. Between the 2 on your list, I'd pick the one that has the best local dealer for parts and service. Ask if they both offer free pick up for repairs or what they charge. If that is a tie, then pick the one that is the most comfortable to sit on, easiest to get on and off of, has the easiest to lift mower, better lights if you have to mow in the early evening, tighter turning radius.
do they use some MTD parts or somthing then? reason i ask is this - i have been looking at several places lately at the riding mowers and a huge chunk of the john deere's and cub cadets that are available at the big chain stores here have the mtd logo on them - slightly hidden, but its there ( the three blades of grass logo )

or am i just crazy and seeing things? :confused: :bonk:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so far for the responses. I've checked all over the place on the Cub Cadet mentioned above and the cheapest I can find is $3500, which is more than I want to pay, since I began this journey expecting to pay around $2000 and I am now up to $300o if I choose the JD X300 or the Simplicity Regent. by the way, my local JD dealer will sell me the JD X300 42" mulching deck for $2925. The retail is $3099. I consider that pretty darn good since they do not discount most of the time. Maybe they have too many X300's they need to get rid of.

Dave

·
Registered
758 Posts
I like lawn striping so I'd go Simplicity if the dealers seem equal. (and never had a hidden desire to own a Deere. That's a valid point, some would never feel satisfied if they had anything else, and that's OK),

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
do they use some MTD parts or somthing then? reason i ask is this - i have been looking at several places lately at the riding mowers and a huge chunk of the john deere's and cub cadets that are available at the big chain stores here have the mtd logo on them - slightly hidden, but its there ( the three blades of grass logo )
Cub Cadets are made by MTD... have been since 1981, and this is no secret. They produce ALL Cub Cadet mowers, not just some. They also produce as seen in box stores: Troy Bilt, Craftsman Revolution tractor (the rest are Husqvarna), Yard Machines, Yard Man, Bolens, and a couple others.

I work in a box store and sell the LA series, I have NEVER seen an MTD logo on it ANYWHERE, and the MTD Rep that's in my store every other week says MTD has NOTHING at all to do with the Deere LA series.

If you're just cutting grass and don't have real challenging terrain, the LA series is a fine budget machine, the 145-175 are the better ones. If you're going to pay the money for the X series, get the one that comes with a better transmission, I think the X320. Otherwise, a base X300 has essentially the same deck and the exact same transmission as the 175 and basically the same tranny as the 145. You're paying for a Kawasaki engine and heavier frame. An engine is an engine, proper maintainance it'll outlast the tractor itself.

All box store LA Series Deere's are set up and supported by the local JD dealer. They come to inspect em and set em up when the box stores get their shipments. You also fill out a warranty card when purchasing one and a copy of it goes to the local dealer, who gives you a follow up call a week later to introduce themselves and let you know you can take your tractor their to get service.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey Adman....are you sure about the price on the 22/44.....I have seen them recently for $2500.00 on sale....??

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bottom line here is that these are both good tractors and you will have a good machine no matter which one you choose.

I have owned both Deere and Simplicity machines and happy with both. Simplicity has one of the best cuts in a mower, and tough to find anyone that will argue that.

The JD is much more popular and you will find more accessories and info for it just because of that.

The price on the Simplicity seems high as I too have seen that one around here for 2500-2800.

I recommend you test drive both, and add what value the dealer brings to the table. For me my and my recent purchase, having a dealer 2 miles from my house was a BIG factor in what I chose.

Don't let emotions, opinions and color decide your purchase, you are the one that will have to live and sleep with the choice after you put out the money.

Good luck on whatever you decide as you will have a nice machine!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello To Everyone....I am happy to hear that a couple of you have seen the Simplicity for that $2500 or so price range. There are two Simplicty dealers in my area. One is about 2 miles away and they are the ones that gave me the $2600 price for the smaller 20/38 Regent and $2900 for the 22/44 Regent, without the mulch kit. i was told to add $125 for the mulch kit which I want. However, the Simplicity guy that is 2 miles away is a jerk. One of these cigar smoking, cocky, I know everything and you know nothing kinda of person. The other Simplicity store is about 18 miles away and they are so much better, but I am not sure how that would play if I need them to come to my home for service or pick-up.

Bottom line from what you are saying is that the $2600 and $2900 prices before I add the mulch kit are high. I know....I was quoted full retail or list price with no discount at all.

Do you feel I should ask for $200 or $300 off those prices, whether I get a Simplicity or the John Deere.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would ask that dealer that is 18 miles away if they will be willing to be your servicing dealer -especially if pickup/dropoff is needed.

then - if they will do it, let them know that you are committed to them being your dealer (boost their confidence that you will be a repeat customer) then see if they will knock off a chunk of the price :) sometimes that works wonders with places like that

and i agreee 10000% that having a good dealer can be one of the biggest influences in a decision like that :)

whichever one you choose though - they are both great :fing32:

·
Registered
641 Posts
18 miles isn't that bad. Call him up and ask him as was already advised. If he says 'yes', pay him a visit. See what you can get knocked off the price. You are more apt to get a deal if you are willing to pull the trigger - if he thinks you're feeling him out to cross shop he may not be willing to deal to much.

What I'm saying is if you've decided you want one of those Regents, be prepared to take one and you'll probably do better. Otherwise you're within a few hundred dollars between the Regent and X300 - take price out of it and just buy the one that feels right to you at this point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK....Unless something goes wrong when I go to the Simplicity dealer over the weekend, I have decided that the Simplicity Regent will be my first choice. If that does not work out, I will opt for the John Deere.

Since I do not know yet whether or not I can get 10% off the retail price on the Simplicity Regent as many have said I could, I would just like to know the following, since there is a $300 price difference.

Except for one model of the Regent being a 20/38 with two blades and the other model a 22/44 with three blades, everything else is identical. As I mentioned before, I am not fat, but a big guy at about 275.

Is the 22/44 with three blades worth the extra $300 price tag, or can I get away with the 20/38 and two blades for $300 less? Is there also a big difference in how much time it will take to mow the lawn. Remember, I only have about a 1/4 acre or just a tad more than that.

Dave

·
Registered
758 Posts
Theoretically, 2 longer blades would have a higher speed at the cutting tip (good) than 3 smaller blades, but I am nobody to question a Simplicity cut quality. It may be cheaper to service/replace 2 blades, too

A larger deck does help a little to decrease the amount of uncut grass inside a turn (which can help around trees) and may help get you closer to the edge of landscaping.
I do not think your yard is really large enough to make a significant cutting time difference, but it is there.
(My 54" deck can cut one stretch along my drive in 3 passes where my previous 44" deck took could barely do it with a full 4, so the difference may be a little larger than inches suggest, because you have to have an overlap of a few inches)

When you get into the 50+" category, larger decks become "wings" that can get stuck up on places that smaller decks do not (like raised grass around a large tree)

Finally, a larger deck is useless if it cannot fit into your shed opening, through a gate, between landscaping beds/trees/bushes (then you wind up having to trim more with a weedwacker..) so of course make sure it fits everywhere.

If the engines are different makes/models see if you can ask a repair guy at the dealer what he'd recommend, and if resale might be important to you(could the larger deck be worth more?), ask the sales guy. I am sure you could be well served by either deck.
You have certainly done a great job in this process!

·
Registered
641 Posts
OK....Unless something goes wrong when I go to the Simplicity dealer over the weekend, I have decided that the Simplicity Regent will be my first choice. If that does not work out, I will opt for the John Deere.

Since I do not know yet whether or not I can get 10% off the retail price on the Simplicity Regent as many have said I could, I would just like to know the following, since there is a $300 price difference.

Except for one model of the Regent being a 20/38 with two blades and the other model a 22/44 with three blades, everything else is identical. As I mentioned before, I am not fat, but a big guy at about 275.

Is the 22/44 with three blades worth the extra $300 price tag, or can I get away with the 20/38 and two blades for $300 less? Is there also a big difference in how much time it will take to mow the lawn. Remember, I only have about a 1/4 acre or just a tad more than that.

Dave
On your size lot the extra deck size will amount to next to nothing - there simply isn't enough space to realize laps saved on that size lot. Go w/ the smaller deck w/ the Briggs engine if you are set on the Simplicity. Just remember that at that price point, the Deere is a more substantial (though equally) capable tractor. What you are down to (in my eyes) is saving money and going w/ residential grade all around (Regent) or spending some more and going more commercial w/ the Deere - though again from a capability standpoint they are equiv.

That said, the Regent should last you a long time on your lot. I've never owned a Briggs for very long, but many have. Heck the transmission and engine will be barely warmed up before you even park her in the garage. The Simplicity makes more sense to me for you the more I type.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello Jopopsy...As always, thanks. When you mentioned in your able post ab out the John Deer, I assume you were referring and comparing my Regent choice to the Deere X300, correct, not the LA-165?

On the Regent, both the 20/38 and 22/44 have the Briggs Extended Life Series Engine. Everything is identical except for the hp and deck, and the 2 blade versus 3 blades. The $300 price difference is between the two Regent models.

The JD LA-165 will run me about the same as the Regent 20/38, and the Deere X300 will run me about $250 more than the Regent 22/44. Too many figures in my head.

·
Registered
963 Posts
On the Regent... Everything is identical except for the hp and deck, and the 2 blade versus 3 blades.
Might want to check on the transmission differences. The 22/44 and 24/50 have a K-46 "HD", versus a K-46 in the others. I don't know whether there really is a "HD" version or not, the Tuff-Torq web site doesn't show one. But your dealer might be able to shed some light on whether there's a real difference or not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts