My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting out, and I'm looking at an excavator or a skid-steer for clearing and versatility. Personal use as well.
Has anyone had good luck buying at auction? I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Here's where I'm looking at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Hi JoCoflow98 and
...there was another discussion on here today in which this very subject was kicked around...seems like a lot of the stuff you see advertised is already gone...I do know someone who has gotten a couple pieces of equipment for great prices at PropertyRoom.com....I think it is mostly used Highway dept and Parks Dept type of stuff......good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JoCoflow98 and View attachment 2492319 ...there was another discussion on here today in which this very subject was kicked around...seems like a lot of the stuff you see advertised is already gone...I do know someone who has gotten a couple pieces of equipment for great prices at PropertyRoom.com....I think it is mostly used Highway dept and Parks Dept type of stuff......good luck
Thank you. This one is near me and I'm familiar with the people. Still trying to figure out where my money is best spent. Is there anything I should look out for? Deal killers or run away as fast as you can issues? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Auctions are fun. Good deals are available, it all depends on the crowd and what kind of mood they are in. Remember there is no warranty so know what you are looking for and be prepared for a certain amount of risk. I have done well at them but have seen some buyers that should have stayed home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Auctions are fun. Good deals are available, it all depends on the crowd and what kind of mood they are in. Remember there is no warranty so know what you are looking for and be prepared for a certain amount of risk. I have done well at them but have seen some buyers that should have stayed home.
What should I be most on the lookout for? Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Before you go to the auction.....you should check around and if you have a specific piece in mind, see if you can get an idea of what the going price range is for it.....and get an idea in mind what your budget will be.If you have used any of the equipment in the past and are experienced, I would think you probably already know more than you realize...if you have no experience using the stuff, you could get hurt...in which case see if you can get someone who has experience on the machine.....with any vehicle or machinery start looking as you approach...any liquid under the machine?....check the oil...pull out the stick and clean it...reinsert it...do it again just to be sure......with a diesel it is going to be black, but check it and see if it has contaminants... coolant, for instance...make sure it is to the FULL mark...check coolant level...if a track machine and they are rubber....see how much tread is on them...check the hydro hoses and the belts....check all the lights and that all switches and knobs have a function that you can observe, and that the knobs and switches all work......extend the hydraulic attachment and rub our hand on the rams....feel for rust and pitting....check the ends of the cylinders for dripping fluid, which would indicate a leaking seal...if you can, witness a start up and use of the hydraulics and move it around a little bit check the battery and determine that it is charging as it runs....set in your mind how many hours you think are within an acceptable range for you....if you are not permitted to take a good look at it including starting it and looking under the engine cover...walk away...best of luck and let us know how you did

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you have a brand in mind, you might call around and check on some common wear parts. OEM hydraulic parts can be expensive, a friend once told me what hoses and cylinders cost for a small skid steer. My concrete installer friend puts new tires on his mid sized skid steer every year, at a tire cost of around $1200 (he and his guys do all the maintenance on the machines, so they change them.)

Hoses can be made up and need not be OEM parts, and I would expect popular brands have aftermarket parts available. I was at a small engine auction and a brand new (ok, around 150 hours on the machine) tractor all I remember is it was mid sized, and bright blue) less than a year old went for around 12K. Nobody there wanted it, and the guy who bought it said he didn't need it, but it was so cheap.... Lightening does indeed strike now and then.

·
Administrator
17,652 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't think about a virtual auction as I like to be able to examine equipment up close and personal. Having said that, I know there are many folks on here that do have success, whether it be cars, trucks or tractors. But I will say that they are well versed in what to look out for and have a familiarity with the auction house. (as in past dealings and reputation)
And of course there's the caveat "Let the buyer beware." Which of course goes for virtual as well as attended auctions or sale. Just my 2¢.
MikeC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a brand in mind, you might call around and check on some common wear parts. OEM hydraulic parts can be expensive, a friend once told me what hoses and cylinders cost for a small skid steer. My concrete installer friend puts new tires on his mid sized skid steer every year, at a tire cost of around $1200 (he and his guys do all the maintenance on the machines, so they change them.)

Hoses can be made up and need not be OEM parts, and I would expect popular brands have aftermarket parts available. I was at a small engine auction and a brand new (ok, around 150 hours on the machine) tractor all I remember is it was mid sized, and bright blue) less than a year old went for around 12K. Nobody there wanted it, and the guy who bought it said he didn't need it, but it was so cheap.... Lightening does indeed strike now and then.
Dang. Good on you. I'll have to make note of these when I'm looking! Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally, I wouldn't think about a virtual auction as I like to be able to examine equipment up close and personal. Having said that, I know there are many folks on here that do have success, whether it be cars, trucks or tractors. But I will say that they are well versed in what to look out for and have a familiarity with the auction house. (as in past dealings and reputation)
And of course there's the caveat "Let the buyer beware." Which of course goes for virtual as well as attended auctions or sale. Just my 2¢.
MikeC
Good advice. Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to their showing day before the auction. Should be solid time to look at the pieces and get a feel for what I'm looking at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts