My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a JX75. He is asking $250. It looks good in the pictures and comes with the bag and mulch plug. That trans has issues, but I think that is the only problem. I know it is a great mower, but it is way more than I usually pay for a mower. Should I pull the trigger?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
$250 is a good price if it's working well, a bit high if it needs work. Are you saying this mower needs transmission work, or that these transmissions tend to have problems? The "transmission" is fairly trouble-free but it takes all the blame for other drive system problems. The engagement is more complicated than the Toro 3-speed and that's usually the trouble. Not too hard once you figure it out.

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
Its a great heavy duty mower with a solid engine, the kawasaki parts are expensive to replace. The blade clutch is also expensive. Basically it is a great mower just very costly to fix. Being that the transmission does not work, I would offer him $150. I don't know what the going prices are where you live but here in south jersey $150 for it in that condition is about what it would bring. If everything was working and it was clean I could get $250-300.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In our neck of the woods, JX75's go for between $300-$400 in great condition, $250 sounds about right, especially if it's just an easy adjustment away from working perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up grabbing it. The right rear wheel was bald and the left had tread. It runs in all gears and the left wheel engages late and sounds like its grinding before catching. I pulled the wheels and both gears were loose on the wheels. The left inner gear would not come off at first. The key seems to be worn and binding because it is twisting in the groove. Is this common? Is it caused by anything other than wear? This thing is much noisier than my toros, which is normal from what I understand? Seems to be fine otherwise. Anything else to look for?

Runs like a kawasaki, fantastic. I will need to get the filter adapter. There is a little noise without the blade engaged. Not all that concerning. It will need the wear plates on the front height adjusters.anything else I need to examine?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The ratcheting gears should turn easily and there shouldn't be much play for the keys. Hopefully the keys are worn rather than the axle. Never heard of this problem. Make sure you put the parts back together correctly or one of the ratchets will turn the wrong way.

I don't think my JD is any noisier than my Toro's, just a different sound. The BBCs tend to be noisy (old bearings) but mine has never made any noise. Just run it till it gets really loud, could take a long time. The engine itself should be very quiet. And the transmission doesn't whine like the Toro 3-speed. You've probably found that the drive engages more abruptly than the Toro and it takes some getting used to.

The oil filter did not come standard and I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the kit. Hardly necessary for homeowner use, just really cool. The height adjuster plates fit on the JX75 but only come standard on the commercial models. Most of the other commercial parts bolt on as well.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found another problem. The plastic clutch lever is worn. When you first engage the drive, it moves sideways before it rotates, causing it to grind when first applied. $6 for the part, no biggie. So, $40 in wheels, $45 in drive parts and $20 in cosmetic parts (center caps and muffler sheild). Not going to turn a profit, but not loosing. Its staying with me anyway :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That clutch lever engagement is a troublemaker. Mine refuses to engage fully unless I add a shim to the sticker arm to engage it sooner. That also lets me feather the belt a smidge. Make sure all the linkages and handles aren't sloppy, as that reduces clutch engagement also.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done! The gears on the wheels were loose, the wheels were loose (because the spacer washer by the wheel bearing was gone and it wouldnt roll when they were tight), the axial bishings were waisted, new springs and tabs for the drive gears, repacked the trans, replaced the lever for the clutch and new wheels. The guy who had it before was less than steller mechanically. Most of the issues were lack of knowledge. Runs like a champ. Cant wait for the weekend to try give it a full workout.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks good! Nice pick up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Done! The gears on the wheels were loose, the wheels were loose (because the spacer washer by the wheel bearing was gone and it wouldnt roll when they were tight), the axial bishings were waisted, new springs and tabs for the drive gears, repacked the trans, replaced the lever for the clutch and new wheels. The guy who had it before was less than steller mechanically. Most of the issues were lack of knowledge. Runs like a champ. Cant wait for the weekend to try give it a full workout.

Congratulations on the new mower, hope it gives you many years of great service. :thThumbsU

How do/did you go about repacking the trans for it?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Good, you got those pictures up just in time to avoid being banned from MTF. :D Just kidding but that mower looks great! That's a really nice machine you have there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts