My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying my first "higher end" welder. It's an HTP Mig 200. I haven't read anything negative about them thus far, and testimonials from various sites have been positive. Does anyone have an HTP; And if so how do you like it?

The one I'm looking at is 9 years old. The owners claim they bought it new and it's seen less than 6 hours use in all this time. As hard as I find that to believe, what are the usual wear parts? Is anything prone to breakage or failure? What should look for when checking out a used mig and how do so?

Are tips and usual replacement parts difficult to get ahold of?

·
Banned
297 Posts
Course this don't mean much,but I have never heard of htp,

Where are you buying it from,someones house or a shop of some sort.

Replacement parts are not hard to find for say lincoln,miller,hobart.

I would want to use it a little before buying[unless they where about giving it away]. At least run a short bead on a piece of scrap.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd start with the basics... fire it up and make sure the wire feed, power supply, and gas valve all work. Check the condition of the drive roll and tip, these are normal wear items and on a 6 hr machine the drive roll should look almost new. The liner is another thing to look at; liners in most are easily replaceable as they will eventually wear out.

As RRG said, run a couple short beads with it; most problems will quickly be apparent. If they claim their gas bottle is empty take yours or see if you can borrow a friend's for a quick test.

Treat it like buying a used car; would you buy it if they wouldn't let you test drive it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
ThkU wilber for the web site link to htp:

Their migs have a spot & stitch weld feature, that I wish my 220V MILLER 150 had / for bodywork.
This company seems to be puting out some high quality stuff.
I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING, IF THEIR STUFF IS USA MADE ?? Like to support N.A. manufacturing...(at least, USA & Canada)

I am going to buy their htp welding helmet, after reviewing the website -- Striker WCG #90130-WCG
http://www.htpweld.com/products/welding_helmets/90130-wcg.html

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Banned
297 Posts
I don't know,sounds 100 percent chinese to me,,you would think if they have been selling them for 20 years like their web site says,I would have heard of them,,but than again,ain't up on the new stuff generally speaking.

Might be the best welders going,but think I would stick with a known brand myself. Wonder why they are selling it after so little use? Whats the price?

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've read they are a USA company. I wouldn't buy an imported welder. I don't like that Lincoln outsources their lower end units.

The welder is set up for aluminum and claim they have no bottle. I've been flux core welding and don't have anything to bring. Not knowing anyone personally who has an HTP, and there being no local dealers for easier parts ordering and support I'm going to pass on it. Plus from the pictures the paint is WAY too faded to only be used 6 hours... unless they have been storing it in a tanning bed set to Jamaican. I hate people who **** something simple because it's not brand name... But that's me right now. Too many what-ifs for the kind of money they want.

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone use a Snap-On YA205? I believe they were built by Century.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone use a Snap-On YA205? I believe they were built by Century.
Yes, I have used the Snap=On welders and over the past 4 1/2 decades have owned a couple of Century MIG machines. They work OK for auto body and exhaust work but leave a bit to be desired for heavy fab work. The biggest problem is that Century doesn't have many local distributors with service/parts availability. The Snap-On guy will have to send it in for service or order parts with unknown delivery times and substantial mark ups.

I know several folks that have purchased the HTP machines as well and they all speak highly of them with few complaints. Yes, they are imported, but have a decent support system in place.

There is much to be said for local support of the brand you end up with. I own Blue because they gave the best customer support for decades around here (though that has changed somewhat, recently). Red and Yellow are decent machines if you have a supporting dealer (box stores don't count).

Like everyone has stated previously, "Test drive the machine first before exchanging cash".

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I learned on Century 110v migs. I spent most of high school welding on Beetles and a Falcon with no troubles whatsoever. If either of us could remember the model number I'd by another in a heartbeat. 110 and 220 are totally different animals so I thought it best to ask.

·
Banned
297 Posts
I have nothing against buying over seas,,[japan,korea,,china,,whatever],I'm a poor man,,,thing is,,china products,,,sometimes you get your moneys worth,,many times you don't,,,they went to big,to fast,,,they got major[never heard of before],quality control problems,,thats the problem,,,would buy a chinese welder,,,if it had been around a while,,had heard of it,,etc,,but name me one of those,,,,,htp welders,,never heard of it number 1,,and even if your neighbor had one that worked alright,,that don't mean any thing in the chinese world,,coulda went through three managements in those three years,,and could go out of existance in the next year...probably use a slightly different system,,[rollers,something] that won't match up[exactly] with replacement parts from your local welding supplier,,,just my thoughts,,,,but if the thing runs,,and welds good,and is cheap,,well,than buy it...[if you want to]

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
From what I understand Century now makes the Snap On welders. As for parts/consumables my local welding supply carrys everything. No need to wait on snappy.

·
MTF Middle-age Poster
179 Posts
Just because you've not heard of them doesn't mean they're no good.
HTP is a good company that sells quality products & they stand behind them.

I have nothing against buying over seas,,[japan,korea,,china,,whatever],I'm a poor man,,,thing is,,china products,,,sometimes you get your moneys worth,,many times you don't,,,they went to big,to fast,,,they got major[never heard of before],quality control problems,,thats the problem,,,would buy a chinese welder,,,if it had been around a while,,had heard of it,,etc,,but name me one of those,,,,,htp welders,,never heard of it number 1,,and even if your neighbor had one that worked alright,,that don't mean any thing in the chinese world,,coulda went through three managements in those three years,,and could go out of existance in the next year...probably use a slightly different system,,[rollers,something] that won't match up[exactly] with replacement parts from your local welding supplier,,,just my thoughts,,,,but if the thing runs,,and welds good,and is cheap,,well,than buy it...[if you want to]

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,I said the same thing,just cause I havn't,,,doesn't mean..

Since you know about them,,is it 100 percent chinese?

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear mixed things about who builds Snap-on welders these days. Some say HTP, some say Lincoln. The only constant is it's not Miller. I was under the assumption Lincoln bought out Solar and Century and stopped manufacturing them.

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to brag; But partly because I'm still grinning after getting it home, and also due to my dislike of leaving open ended threads I've picked up a MM175 earlier last week. 5 years old and used little, an owned 125cf bottle, cart, two sets of gloves, leathers, extension cord, and an extra mask. Welds circles around anything I've owned before. Now to sell or trade the cart for one that's taller.

Attachments

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Not to brag; But partly because I'm still grinning after getting it home, and also due to my dislike of leaving open ended threads I've picked up a MM175 earlier last week. 5 years old and used little, an owned 125cf bottle, cart, two sets of gloves, leathers, extension cord, and an extra mask. Welds circles around anything I've owned before. Now to sell or trade the cart for one that's taller.
Well, now that you have the nice welder:fing32: why don't you just make a taller cart!:biglaugh:

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The high cost of steel is why I'd rather buy. Two-story carts are fairly cheap and if mine can be traded for what I'm looking for all the better. Ironically, Harbor Freight had the very cart I want on clearance for $24.99 the week prior to picking up this welder.

In the meantime the low-profile cart will do alright.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
WOW. You spent the money for a welder; you must have at least a little clue about fabrication; most normal guys with a welder hoard scrap metal; and even so you would prefer to buy something instead of building a new one or modifying your existing cart ?????? The cart below is made from some cheap 1" sq tubing, bed rail, scrap metal rod, etc. The tires were less than $15, axle is just galvanized rod.

No cart you can buy has all it's features.

Attachments

·
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What you're opinioning at as laziness or a lack of experience is quite another reason. At the moment I have a functional welder cart. And right now I have quite a few other projects that that precedent over building another one. Secondly, HF sells a high cart for $39.99. Figuring time is money, and so are steel and consumables; any cart I build will cost more than that. And considering the cart I have is worth some money as-is and people do like low-pro carts I'm going to continue using it until a trade comes my way or walk into a cheap deal on a high cart and just blow mine out.

Yes, like any other cart, a store bought one won't be perfect. But I've used them before and they're pretty near to filling my needs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts