My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. As it states I'm getting a new (to me at least) John Deere GT235 w/the Kawaski engine. It needs it's oil changed & there isn't a owners manual included with the tractor. How much oil & what weight is recommended for it. Anything special I should be aware of with it? It's my 1st JD :thanku:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and enjoy the tractor and forum. slkpk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Kawa engine is 1.9 qt w/ filter. The B&S is 1.75qt w/ filter. What year is your GT235? I have an '02 with the B&S engine, it has been an awesome performer. Keep an eye on the bolt that holds the PTO clutch on the crankshaft, mine has loosened once, but was caught before any damage was done. I can't give you any more hints on what to watch, because mine hasn't given me a moment's trouble except for that (435 hrs +)

As far as oil weight, the manual for mine says 10W-30 for temp range between -4F and 104F, or 5W-30 for temp range between -22F and 86F.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said it was a 2005, but I thought they were last produced in 2004. It's showing just over 500 hrs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 2004-'05 GT235 decks were operated using a foot pedal. Earlier models used a hand lever to raise/lower the deck.

Get the serial number for the tractor and call your local John Deere dealer. They can tell you when it was sold and if it had any warranty issues.

Or post/pm the serial number and I'll get the info for you in the morning.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
When you change the oil take the time to be prepared when romoving the oil filter.It can make a real mess if your not careful.The trick is to have a small plastic funnel with a piece of hose attached to the end.Start to loosen the filter slightly then drive a hole on the out edge on top.Then hold the funnel under the filter up tight against the engine with the attached hose going into the drain pan.Then loosen the filter to let in get air while your thumb is over the hole you knocked in it a turn or two and stop with the hole on the bottom.Allow the filter to drain before removing or you will have a mess.

Also be careful with the drain plug and pipe there plastic and could crack or strip easily.Best to have two wrenches on to hold the pipe and one for the drain plug.

My parents have a GT235 it is a 2004 and has the foot lift.The 2003 models had a hand lift.The hood removes very easily you just unplug the lights and move the hood to a certain position and it lift right out.Best to remove the hood to service the air filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soory for the delay in the reply. Took it to my mountain property since that's where it was purchased for & haven't been up for a couple weeks. The serial # is MOG235J130581 & engine # is FH580VA74975. The mower deck is a 48" model & the # is incomplete but starts at MO48CAA15... but the rest is missing. I see what you mean about the drain plug...good advise. It has the foot pedal to raise & lower the deck. It has a mulching plug where the shoot should be. I purchased a new shoot. bar & spring, but seems there is a mount(?) or something missing that the pivot bar fits thru. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
yep, there should be a piece of angle iron that bolts to the deck with two carriage head bolts. the bar and spring and shoot all hook up to that. bolts come up from below the deck so their somewhat smooth below.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anybody know the part number for the bracket-the local dealer doesn't seem to be very good at such things. It's a 48" deck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts