My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly enough my Wife greenlighted me buying a Cub Cadet for her :thThumbsU I managed to persuade her away from wanting a Forest Green colored tractor. I sat her on my Sears ST/12, SS14, Bolens Hydro Eliminator, Deere 318 and Wheel Horse A-100. All were just a bit too cumbersome and the A-100 too small. I did a bit of searching and wanted a medium size Lawn Tractor that would primarily be used for Lawn Mowing but capable for the occasional cart pull or snow blowing.

I really dialed in to the 100 Series Cub Cadets. They remind me of the Sears Custom 10XL's, Craftsman Varidrives (LT/LTV).

I guess the only question I have is out of the 100 Series Cubs there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in size (from what I can tell). After the 100 series, did they go larger with the non-narrow frames? She likes the Hydro option. I've got a Series 2000 Cub but don't know much about the older riders. Any tips and or advice on model (ie: which ones are easier to find, service and pickup parts for than others).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Are you asking about the Cub Cadet 100 or the 122, 147, 149...etc?

If the latter, I can tell you that the frame was changed after the 147 to the wide frame design. Look up IH Cub Cadet on Wikipedia, it the model/timeframe is there. Unless you are specifically wanting an IH Cub, don't limit yourself to the pre-MTD models. The same IH engineering (including the wide frame) was carried on into the 1980s after MTD bought the Cub name. So, don't rule out the 782, 1211, etc.

I have a 147, and the maintenance is more difficult because access to the driveline and hydro linkage is so limited without splitting the tractor. In contrast, I can pull the tunnel cover on my 882 and adjust linkages, change rag joints, clean the hydro pump, change/check hydro relief valves....you get the picture.

An excellent choice would be a 129/149 or a 782 just to toss out a few model numbers.

:fing32:

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
I owned a 1967 CC 105. It had the Hydro with the dash lever (a bit awkward). It was powerful for pulling, had a heavy rear end, and was pretty easy to work on. I will not not own another for these reasons: the pto clutch was a pain in the butt and with the 42" deck, 10 HP was simply not enough power. I was forever adjusting the voltage regulator and the gas tank was way too small.

They are fun to restore, but not practical for my 12 acres.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
Pre-1971, all Cub Cadets were narrow frame models. After then, they are wide frames and mostly Quietlines. I would reccomend a wide frame hydro. They are easy to use and work on and very powerful. There are the 109, 129, 149, and 169 for WF hydros. The 149s and 169s had hydro lift. All of the tractors were single cylinder Kohlers. The next series was the QLs. They were the same basic tractors except for they had rubber motor mounts and were quiet, hence the name.

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I have a 782 and I can safely say that it's a beast of a tractor! I'm leaning towards a 149. The style and size look to be perfect. I've read that the QL machines are equally as nice but a bit of a pain to work on? The 1450 also sparked my interest.

Locally I saw a few 149's and a 1450 listed for $900-$1000 in working unrestored condition. IE: Rust spots, dingy paint,etc. No extra goodies. Is that going rate? I'm more familiar with John Deere and Sears used prices.

Would have been great if this was true:thThumbsU :

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I have had gear drives and hydros, My wife and daughters HATE the hydros.

BUT, we have hills, they seem to want to give the machine more hydro when it is stalling!! :dunno:

A few stalls, they do not want to drive them anymore. :duh:

The geardrives are popular here!! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Where did you find that ad mockup? That's pretty convincing looking. Years ago Nissan actually followed through with something like this and you could actually buy a "new" Datsun 240z off your local Nissan showroom floor. The restorations were farmed out but had to meet Nissan specs. You would have thought the cars would have sold like hotcakes based on all the "wouldn't it be great" comments from Z fans, but in the end I think the program ended with about 40-50 cars being completed.

:dunno:

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I would go with an Orignal/70... There is a lot that can be done with 7 or 8 horsepower.

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you find that ad mockup? That's pretty convincing looking. Years ago Nissan actually followed through with something like this and you could actually buy a "new" Datsun 240z off your local Nissan showroom floor. The restorations were farmed out but had to meet Nissan specs. You would have thought the cars would have sold like hotcakes based on all the "wouldn't it be great" comments from Z fans, but in the end I think the program ended with about 40-50 cars being completed.

:dunno:

Pretty convincing isn't it? :fing32: I picked it up off the ihcubcadet.com forum. I actually had a to do a bit of digging to make sure it wasn't real. I'd spend the extra dough for a seven year old reissue of a 40 year old machine. I remember when Wheel Horse finished up their classic series tractors back in the mid 2000's. It's a shame that a solid Garden Tractor would run $4-$5K. than again I'm afraid to lean on the Husqvarna and John Deere tractors at Lowes.

Anyway, is $900-$1000 unrestored, missing a few parts, no extra attachments and in supposed working condition going rate for the 149's? I know that some commercial level riders depreciate a bit less over time. Wasn't sure if that was the case for these Cubs.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
$900-$1000 seems high, but it always comes down to the market. Around here, a savvy craigslister can pick up old Cubs for under $500. There is one local 149 that's been at $700, but his ad has been up for over 6 months. I picked up my complete, good condition 147 for under $200.

·
Sears Aficionado
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$900-$1000 seems high, but it always comes down to the market. Around here, a savvy craigslister can pick up old Cubs for under $500. There is one local 149 that's been at $700, but his ad has been up for over 6 months. I picked up my complete, good condition 147 for under $200.
You're right. My John Deere 318 was right about where it should have have been ($1600) with a 50 inch deck, power flow system and bagger. These are some of the ads that are local to me right now. They just seem way to high.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...ery=cub+cadet+1450&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=10&subAreaID=&query=cub+cadet+149&catAbb=sss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts