My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize models change over time but is it like cars with defined model years?

Or is there a run and production date type thing where model may be the same for several years and be produced in 2019 but not specifically a 2019 model?

Any way to tell I am getting the latest? these things have a vin?

Also, any benefit to getting a factory TLB vs perhaps a dealer modified unit? Or is there no such thing?

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
I realize models change over time but is it like cars with defined model years?

Or is there a run and production date type thing where model may be the same for several years and be produced in 2019 but not specifically a 2019 model?

Any way to tell I am getting the latest? these things have a vin?

Also, any benefit to getting a factory TLB vs perhaps a dealer modified unit? Or is there no such thing?
Tractors really aren't like cars. The model on the dealer floor that is new can easily be a few years old. Warranties begin with the date purchased and not year manufactured. There will be a serial number though. Another way to know is to get a model right after a change or introduction of a new one. :)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
That is a very valid question to ask your dealer. Not sure about John Deere but some mfg. will make subtle changes to the same model thru the years based on consumer input to help compete.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
There should be a serial # tag mounted on the frame immediately above the right front tire. The ser. # contains a code that tells year of manufacture. Your dealer should be able to look up the code and tell you.

If it turns out the one you are looking at is more than a year old or so, they ought to be willing to deal a bit more aggressively on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Dealer said he ran out of 2019's a while ago so that didn't turn out to be an issue.

I'll confirm when it comes in - someone posted a breakdown of the serial numbers on another forum for me, believe I am looking for a K in the year designating a 2019 model.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
yes there are years with slight changes each year. some years have more changes than others JUST LIKE cars. not sure why others are saying there is no difference.

Now if the dealer has a 2018 or a 2017 new, it is still a great machine but I would not pay 2019 prices for it!!

Factory options usually cost more but if you have a problem you just call the dealer and say fix it, so there's that... :tango_face_glasses:

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
I hear there are pre emission and emission year change for 1 thing, and attachments can be year specific.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts