My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what followed me home last night. Commercial 432!! Not in the best of shape, but as these are super hard to find in the South East, I'll take her. She has a cracked frame and the motor does not run, tires are shot, Ect Ect Ect, but nothing that can not be fixed, sanded, and repainted. I'll know more once I get her off the truck and into my shop. Anyone know where the tractor serial number plate is on these?? I found the engine one.

All I know is this baby is heavy!!

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
Poor old thing was so neglected it started to turn JD green.
I'm not positive but I think the # is on a small plate on the top of the gearbox right next to the engine adaptor plate.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was in Georgia. I had an ad in the local Iwanta paper looking for old Gravely's and a guy called. I was surprised I got a response, they are not too common around here.

Turning JD green--LOL. That's just moss, tractor was sitting on a woodline with vines and crap starting to grow around it.

Hopefully once I get it unloaded this AM I can find the data plate and learn more. It was getting dark last night when I went to get it. Just gotta wait till my wife gets up so she can take over with the kids so I can get out to the shop.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Good grab!

You can't go wrong with saving a solid old machine from the rust death. I would love to have a project like that.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
Congratulations. your 432 looks like a perfect project tractor. You're right, get it running, some sanding and paint, and you'll have a good, new looking tractor that you will enjoy for years.
arcam8123 has put togeather a nice Gravely website at: Gravelyyard.com
You can find the exact location of your serial number as well as the year your tractor was built by serial number breakdown on his site.
Hood, seatpan, and dash decals are available from Gravely Club founder Craig Seabrook at [email protected] He makes the most accurate 400 series (and others) decals that I've seen. Reflectors are still available too.
You may want to consider repainting it in it's origional yellow/white.
Cub Cadet yellow paint(Cadet Yellow #759-3258) is available at Cub Cadet dealers and is a perfect match to yellow used on Gravely's commercial series tractors.
Rustoleum Canvas White is very close for the hood, seat pan, and wheels. Good Luck!

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
The serial number is going to be on the front casting, operators left, right where the PTO comes out of the tractor. Just like a C, Comm two wheeler.

http://www.gravelyyard.com/gravely_placed_serial_numbersl.htm

Follow this link to some pictures of serial number locations.

Nice find by the way. Of all of the 400s I've seen in the wild, I've only seen one 432.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I am super confused...... My tractor serial number is 12623A which is a 1972 serial number. and the engine is a K321s Ser 4116864 which is also a 1972 number. But Oldgravelys.net says the 400 series was only made from 1967 through 1970. I am guessing that Old gravelys is mistaken?

The frame is cracked at the rear where it bolts to the transmission on both sides, but that is a simple welding fix. I can turn the engine over with my hand on the flywheel cover, but it is really easy like there is no compression. Previous owner bought it in it's present condition and never got around to doing anything with it. He told me that the guy he got it from said it was running good and just quit. So I might not have to do a total engine rebuild --we will see.

The deck is going to take some work. The spindles seem OK, but the gear box has a ton of slop at the input and will not turn by hand, so further investigation will be needed when I have time.

Somebody must have painted the red paint over the yellow back in the day, but they did a bang up job cause you can not find any yellow anywhere. Since I am going to have to totally take it apart anyway, it should not be too hard to return it to the yellow and white origional scheme.

Andy

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Now I am super confused...... My tractor serial number is 12623A which is a 1972 serial number. and the engine is a K321s Ser 4116864 which is also a 1972 number. But Oldgravelys.net says the 400 series was only made from 1967 through 1970. I am guessing that Old gravelys is mistaken?

The frame is cracked at the rear where it bolts to the transmission on both sides, but that is a simple welding fix. I can turn the engine over with my hand on the flywheel cover, but it is really easy like there is no compression. Previous owner bought it in it's present condition and never got around to doing anything with it. He told me that the guy he got it from said it was running good and just quit. So I might not have to do a total engine rebuild --we will see.

The deck is going to take some work. The spindles seem OK, but the gear box has a ton of slop at the input and will not turn by hand, so further investigation will be needed when I have time.

Somebody must have painted the red paint over the yellow back in the day, but they did a bang up job cause you can not find any yellow anywhere. Since I am going to have to totally take it apart anyway, it should not be too hard to return it to the yellow and white origional scheme.

Andy
72 was the switchover year. Last units were red/orange and white. Not yellow and white.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
72 was the switchover year. Last units were red/orange and white. Not yellow and white.
That's cool!!! I guess I have one of the last 432's made which is kinda cool. Plus painting red will be easier than painting yellow over red :fing32:

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts

Andy
The serial number list on oldgravelys.net was written by Airens and is know to be full of holes. My 432 was built in 1971. It was yellow. It was very common for owners to repaint their tractors red. I've had two red over yellow 430s and a couple Comm 10As.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
That's cool!!! I guess I have one of the last 432's made which is kinda cool. Plus painting red will be easier than painting yellow over red :fing32:
I would keep it original. If it came from the factory red, I'd keep that way. Show us lots of pictures of the progress.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
I would keep it original. If it came from the factory red, I'd keep that way. Show us lots of pictures of the progress.
... Agreed. If it was yellow, you'll be sure to find someevidence somewhere as you take it apart. One good place to look might be at and under the metal "tray" that the gas tank rests on.
If it was infact red, then I'd leave it red too.

At least, you're still good to go with the Canvas White.

Did you check your serial number against the numbers/years on Ron's site (The Gravely Yard)? He has a very complete listing of serial numbers and years of manufacture. He included his web address in an earlier post.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
I'm just thinking if it IS a '72 and it WAS origional red, you would have a fairly rare tractor. A commercial 400 series tractor that is SUPPOSED to be red. I also wonder how many 432s were sold that last year?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
... Agreed. If it was yellow, you'll be sure to find someevidence somewhere as you take it apart. One good place to look might be at and under the metal "tray" that the gas tank rests on.
If it was infact red, then I'd leave it red too.

At least, you're still good to go with the Canvas White.

Did you check your serial number against the numbers/years on Ron's site (The Gravely Yard)? He has a very complete listing of serial numbers and years of manufacture. He included his web address in an earlier post.
It is a 72. I checked my books. :D

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
And the prototype 450 has always been red/orange from 1967. :D

Gravely changed the colors on the 2-wheelers about the same time which is why you find both yellow and white and red and white Comm 8, 10A, and 12s. Our Comm 12 was an orange and white unit from 1972.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, after removing the hood and gas tank, I can definitly say it is a 1972 and that it came from the factory painted red and white. Here is under the fuel tank.....

and behind the dashboard

and a few more........

So, I wonder how rare this is?? I will be painting it back to the origional red and white as it came from the factory. It will be a long term project, as spare time is precious with two kids and I am already fixing up my 5260 as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
Wow, a factory red comm. 400 series. The pictures tell it all. Absolutely go with the red.
It would be good to know just how many red '72 432s were built, but I doubt that we will ever know. The number can't be very many though. First one I've seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts