My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,527 Posts
One term for them is blade connector. Measure the width of the blade (the male connector), so you get the right size, as there are several different sizes. 0.250 or 1/4" is probably the most common size.

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
Looks like a whole bunch of corrosion, and if it's the alternator, that means a bunch of power going through it, so a couple ohms of resistance due to corrsion, and it starts getting hot every time the tractor is running.

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
Depending on the operating conditions for the tractor, and how much use I get from it, I would consider changing it to use some better, more weather-resistant connector (that can handle the power the alternator can put out).

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yep, agree, wire corrosion + resistance + heat = failure. Spade connectors are not that great in weather exposed situations, sort of surprised if that is what JD used as OEM, but hey, not much is surprising any more.

Not familiar with this model, but kinda wonder if there is a missing female half of an OEM connector that was replaced by someone just using individual spade bit connectors on the wire ends. Seems to defeat half of the effectiveness of a connector doesn't it? Maybe someone with the same model can confirm what the OEM set up was.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used Deustch DTM connectors on mine. Cheaper and better than the original JD stuff. You’ll need a special crimper or you can solder them so be aware of which style you’re buying, if you go this route.

I’d advise putting it back together for now with a spade connector so you can test it. Check the stator output and the regulator output at low speed and high speed. You want to make sure this isnt a symptom of something else - Like overcharging.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Nice repair!

Now that I look closer, the upper half of this connector is gone. I didn't notice earlier the two tabs on the right and left sides of this block that I believe are meant to align and secure the half of the connector.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I highly recommend using electrical grease on every connector. I pack every spade full of grease so when I plug it in grease gushes out. That way I know it's protected from corrosion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts