My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spotted this little guy while driving down the street one day in winter. It was quarter of a mile from our farm and rotting away under a shed in the woods. The shed was collapsing, and the roof and the mud had just about swallowed this thing whole.
I asked the neighbour who had the tractor about it, and he said that if I wanted it, to just come take it. That made me happy!
We went down almost 5 or 6 months later, and using my brother's quad, we wrestled it free from its grave 6 inches deep in the mud and brought it home on a trailer on another quad. I was ecstatic. My neighbour stopped by and thanked me for getting it out of the way. We said what it's been sitting since around 2004, so it sat for 14 years.
This thing was ROUGH. The original briggs was long gone, replaced with a junk wisconsin which was missing everything to run. That swap was killed so early that the engine wasn't even bolted in. The jackshaft was stuck, the belt was stuck to it, the shifter was good, but the detents are bad, the throttle and choke cables are frozen, the steering is good, and the front tires were flat. The rears would've been flat, but they are so old and stiff that the tubes are shrunken inside the tire and they hold up the whole tractor plus my 135-ish pounds. The chains were stuck to the tires, too.

First thing I did was put it outside, where I pulled a ton of parts off, and then winter hit and water in the transmission froze. Oops.
Luckily the tractor was on a stand at a 45 degree angle so it saved the gears from getting ice around them, and it only froze the differential.
We rolled (well, dragged) it inside and I attempted to remove the transmission to no avail. They used these stupid rounded bolts and the things were stripped. It was awful.
I found a Kohler K161 in rough shape, tried putting that in, screwed up all my drilled holes, figured out that the spark plug hole was stripped, and then realized we had a briggs the whole time.

And now it sits, briggs engine laying on the frame waiting to be ran...

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,269 Posts
Looks like a great project that'll have a nice story someday! Nice save, congrats!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a great project that'll have a nice story someday! Nice save, congrats!
I'm so close to getting it running. I just need to mount the engine, get belts, get cables, and hook everything up.
I also need to tip the tractor up on it's back and fill the transmission through the drain hole.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AND the coil is burnt out so I have no spark... Yipee...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, update on the burns. I got a quart of gear oil in the transmission, and the pulleys and tensioner in.
I went to run the briggs and the intake valve had a tiny bit of compression leaking past it. Pulled it apart, cleaned the literal chunks of carbon out of the cylinder. Side note, this engine has literally 0 play in the piston and an almost brand new bore. The piston was even half clean.
Anyway, I cleaned the cylinder, put the head back on, AND...
The compression leak is even worse now. I pulled the valve up and there is a huge amount of scratching on the valve seat. Guess I need to lap the valve...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9 months since last update? Dang.

Briggs #1 and #2 went in the trash. #1 had a bunch of things wrong with it, and #2 had a horribly scored cylinder wall.
The old Peerless 1200 has a busted off bolt and a crack in the axle from the water freezing in it. Hubs are never coming off so splitting it is impossible. Going off of feel, detent for reverse and 1st is gone, and the gears make an awful lot of racket. It's going in the garbage after I swap the shifter to the 2300.

Got the transmission out, and decided to replace every pulley. Stripping it down for paint right now. Humidity is rusting everything bad. Found a motor for sale, 175$, 8 horse briggs, brand new practically, runs good.
Some problems...
The frame is rusted something awful at the back, where the fenders bolt on and hold water. The rust is like a huge cancerous growth... It's really bad.
Jackshaft pulleys and every bearing in the jackshaft and idler pulley are bad.
All 3 studs holding the chrome hood piece on broke off.
The steering column has a really stuck roll pin, it's hardened steel and is impossible to drill out; the chrome piece on the dash has to be removed for paint and it's held on by the steering column.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some rearranging in our shed, which took up all weekend. We got our Deere 455 in the heated basement to get the power steering seals replaced, which has been a job we've been putting off since August when the seals went out.

I still had some time left on Sunday, so I did some work on the Burns. I got some 80 grit sandpaper and cleaned up the steering wheel and steering shaft, uncovered a lot of original paint from the middle of the shaft to the steering wheel, and I found only a tiny bit of white left on the steering wheel. I also cleaned up the lower rack and pinion bracket with a wire brush on the drill, it had a ton of thick, crusty grease on it, and in the grease zerks, which plugged them up.

On another note, I found a craftsman snowblade that we still have from the LT1000 that I sold, I'm gonna modify it to fit the Burns to replace the original rotted blade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I pulled the Craftsman snowblade out of the bus and set it up next to the burns frame. Finally got the mushroomed spindle out, and then the frame cleaned up a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Set the blade up again... Had to ditch the side brackets because they got in the way of the tie rods and front axle. In the place it's getting mounted, I get about 7.5" of lift max and it sticks out about 19". Now to figure out how to bolt it up without interfering with the axle channel and how to lift it with the stock lift handle

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have a motor! Number, uh...6? I think. It actually runs! Even cold, started first pull. No smoke, no knocking, no nothing, and it's really low hour. It was on a chipper, but the previous owner was chipping branches and accidentally chucked a mower blade in with the branches. The engine survived, but the impeller needs the knives replaced due to them being broken off by the mower blade, but they're outrageously expensive. I'll keep the chipper body, but It'll need some work, more then the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts