My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wandering if anyone has any spare parts for this style planter? Also if any other planter plates, or parts that may work in this planter instead of just a Burch plate's.

I have a Corn plate now and planted a 50lb bag of corn seed last year. From what I was told a bag should normally go about 3.5-4 acres? Well I put that bag in almost 2 acres of dirt. I'm new to planting and seeking out advice on what I can possibly change to help the bag of corn stretch to as much dirt as possible. Also this is just for Food plots.

Thanks for the Help.

·
Registered
753 Posts
the burch planter has been around for a long time

here is a video I posted a few years back

burch still has some plates available for this planter, but to be honest I have sold them plates in the past

to my knowledge there are no other seed plates that will work with this unit

they made seed plates that will plant most anything

corn is sold in bags of 80000 kernels , and here in KY most corn is planted in the 32000 plant population area, this will let you get 2.5 acres per bag

here is a photo of the row spacing and population guide from a Burch manual

here is the plate list

the complete manual is available as photos from my photo bucket page at this location
Larry Lile's Library | Photobucket

I have several plates left , but the corn plates are made in 3 sizes , small med, large, and two types round and flat, so you have to match your plate to the corn you are using, it is not like most of the later type planters that give you a plate number that you match to the kernel size marked on the bags . then you get the appropriate plastic plate, a lot of seed company's anymore do not size there seed since most major operations have gone to air planters

I also have soybean plates and milo plates, notice photo in video of barn wall with all the plates

I use one of these every year, for decades, and will help if I can

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have plates as well as complete planter units, also have extra cogs, and some new planter shoes, I don't have a current list of available plates but I do have several plates available, just have not fooled with trying to sell any the last couple of years

what type unit do you have, 1 row, 2row Ect, is it on a tool bar or on a frame
can you post a picture of your unit?
also would need to know what the tooth count is ,on the cogs that run the drive chain to determine what set up you want to run as far as plant population

these planters are great but you will need to know how to set it up to get the results that you want

if you cant get the manual to print from the pictures in the links, I can send you a copy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 2 row planter and mounted on a tool bar. I'll get some pics and post on here in a day or two. If you can send a Manual that be awesome!!

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sprocket has 15 teeth I counted. So If I get a large sprocket or same size with less or more teeth would this help with the population rate?

Would like about 20,000 seeds to acre.

Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
the tooth count on the sprockets do effect the population count and they can be changed to get the population you are looking for, I notice you have 3 different sprockets in the rear wheel set up on your planter, as well as the 15 tooth on the seed box and they are designed so you can swap them around to get different seed rates.

I am 15 miles from my planter but I believe I am running a 12 to 12 ratio with the same plate set on 36" rows to get the 32000 population that I want

can I ask why you are wanting to plant corn at a 20000 population, that is 11 inches apart in a 30" row and that seems to be awful thin, most farmers have realized that planting at a closer setting will help close the canopy quicker helping on weed control, as well as it will increase yields, 32000 10" ears will provide more corn than 20000 13" ears

most grain farmers these days are planting at much higher rates than the 32000 that I shoot for but I am doing it with old equipment. And harvesting with an old one row picker

I would swap positions and put the smallest cog on the rear wheel axle drive this will slow the rate of turn on the ring drive cog.

or you will need to go to a lower cell count seed plate

I am going to the farm tomorrow and I will get an inventory on what plates, and cogs I have available

·
Registered
753 Posts
that planter intrigues me,

I like the seed hoppers I have never seen that type on one of these planters and I am wondering if it the seed hoppers have any markings on them other than Burch ? I can get the new tin hoppers at last check with the factory but have not asked if they have fiberglass units, the tin ones will rust if not taken good care of and the fiberglass ones will split and crack if left to dry out in the weather (have experience with a old four row international 56 series)

, and the 3 cog rear adjustment assembly is something I have not seen before, every other one I have seen has the rear drive wheel axle setting in a slot so that it can be moved in the slot to tighten the chain.

it has the small drive wheels where most of mine are the large wheel, so it makes me believe it is a newer unit than what I have, but the hinge assembly is the older style like they used in the early 50's where in the late sixties they changed to a spring torsion hinge point

I really like these planters I have owned and used many different planters thru the years
allis Chalmers, IH, john deere, Oliver) and the Burch was always my favorite some planters wanted a perfect seed bed to work properly and the old burches would just keep dropping seeds regardless of ground prep.

to check these planters for population , when changing seeds , before I leave the barn, while elevated on the tractors 3 point, I will put some seed in the hopper, measure the diameter of the rear wheel and then mark the wheel, then count 5 revolutions of the drive wheel while catching the dropped seeds from the planter.

example

wheel diameter 24" x 5 revolutions = 120" of travel / divide by 22 captured seed count, gives me a drop every 5.5 inches for a population in the 32000 range

so to get to a 20000 population you need to get it down to 9-10 kernel drop in this scenario.

like we have already stated there are several ways to set the cogs and seed plate cell count to arrive at this point, so it might take some time working with the planter to get it where you want it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the Info.

I was leaning towards the 20000 count so I didn't have to buy two bags of seed to plant. I'm planting just for Food Plots and as of now I don't harvest the corn. Also last year was dry for us during corn growing time and my ears were awful. So with a 20000 count I can add more corn and cover for deer and not buy two bags of corn. Also with seeds at 11" shouldn't take as much water if seeds are closer together. Or at least I think, reckon I'll find out lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am sorry put I did not get to the farm this weekend fighting the flu,

here is another thing that will help with seed cost, check with your local wild turkey clubs

they have a program where they get unsold seed from the corn company's and then use it as a fund raiser for the clubs last year was DeKalb

this is good seed and makes a good crop, its round up ready, and around here it sells for $30 a bag, that is beter than paying $200 a bag

you just have to sign a form that states you are raising it for wildlife

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope you get better!!!

You mean the NWTF... I was thinking they had seed that wasn't round-up ready...$30 a bag for RUR seed is awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have experience with one of these?

It’s a 2-twin row planter. From what I gather, I have Plates for planting peanuts and beans. I ordered a set of plates from Burch implement for corn.

Thinking I might experiment with planting two crops per twin row.

The thing is the boxes look to be backwards from all the other Burch planters I have seen.

Advice anyone?
2850169A-0524-4258-8394-42FCAAFB0042.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts