My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey y'all, i was lookin for a small pushmower to restore to give to my mom, and i found a little bunton trim mower at a flea market for $30 today, it ran so i bought it. it looks to be a 12" mower, has a briggs engine on it, i decoded the engine numbers and it looks to be a 1977 year engine. i'll post pics, but has anyone ever seen one of these before? I plan to remove the engine, then repaint the deck, green and yellow. and then tune up the motor, repaint it (should i do it in the original white? or do it yellow to match with the deck?)

the deck is all green, with yellow wheels and yellow handle bar grips.

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,870 Posts
WOW , I don't think I have ever seen one like that before. I would paint it the original colors my self. Awsome find !!:fing32:

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
701 Posts
COOL ... never seen one of these either.

For graveyards OR the guy who gets depressed when his 21" mower makes a grass cutting job go by too quickly.

Kind of the oposite of upgrading to a rider !!

Doug

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just foudn out that the metal is cracked around one of the bolt holes for where the engine mounts to the chassis (deck) can i fix this with JB weld? i dotn have a welder or access to one, (the metal is kinda thin anyway) if all else fails can i get a bernzomatic mapp/oxygen brazing torch and braze this? i would much rather use JB weld tho... i dont have much money to play around with

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
It would be much stronger to remove or cut out the thin or rusted metal, weld in a new patch piece. It's broke probably because it's in a higher stress area. You know of no one who owns a smaller mig or stick welding machine? I guess as a last resort you could try and patch it with JB Weld. This is part of the steel frame and not the aluminum engine case, right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, its part of the steel frame of the mower. its not rusted, not at all.. just cracked ALL the metal is still there, its just a crack. and no, i dont know anyone around here with a welder. i left all those friends back in Fort Wayne.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,812 Posts
Auto body repair shops, radiator repair shops, auto machine shops all usually have good welding equipment and shouldnt charge much to do it.

·
4,275 Posts
yes, its part of the steel frame of the mower. its not rusted, not at all.. just cracked ALL the metal is still there, its just a crack. and no, i dont know anyone around here with a welder. i left all those friends back in Fort Wayne.
Better get a picture of the cracked area.
Offhand, it doesn't seem like JB Weld would work for a stress area.
You could drill each side and bolt a brace on.
Without welding, I think that would be your best bet.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,173 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking $10 to $15 for a garage to weld that up for you. Be kind to the guy by removing the motor, and throrughly cleaning and sanding the area you need welded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool little cemetery trimmer. I have two of them. One is all original with yellow Briggs 3.5 and the other has a slightly newer Briggs engine but not the original unit. I hope you had some luck with yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As long as we are talking about Bunton trim(cemetery) mowers, take a look at what walked home with me. Looks to be solid cast Al. deck with cool swivel front wheel. It locks straight for the times you feel like taking your time to mow. It will also swivel for cutting around tombstones. Pre weed whacker. I guess Bunton lived near a cemetery and they asked him for this design. Any information would be appreciated. This is a model 18 35B and I think is from the early 50's, and wow that little B & S engine fires right up. Best part is the looks from the neighbors.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts