My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The part of Colorado I'm in is desert and I've got decent coverage of scrub grass and many other things. It's 2.5 acres, but mowing is a bear because between the grass clumps the soil (read: sand) has eroded, causing much of the yard to be undrivable... well not undrivable, but without suspension, it's certainly turns the seat into a bucking bronco no matter how slow I drive-

I've tried going really really slow, taking several hours to mow and it doesn't really help anything- still kills my back, just not as insane of a ride.

So, the big question is, what can I do to level things out without doing all new grass or sod?

(note I can barely stay on tractor at the very top of video- even though it's small you can see my arm flail...)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Two things... First, I would get a big roller and roll the yard when it is wet and soft enough to do some good. Second, I would plug aerate it often and drag some chain link fence over the area to redeposit the plugs into the low spots.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Good advice you have been given here. Your video reminded me of 2 acres of the 3 we mow. My wife does most of the mowing in the summer, but I did it last week because "she had had enough". Man! I have actually been thinking of making the yard smaller...would save on time and fuel...$$$ Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That yard looks pretty rough Jage!! I'd first try getting a large heavy roller, probably concrete filled vs. water for added stiffness. It'll have to be pretty wet to flatten that out, then you'll definitely want to follow that with a plug aerator since the roller will REALLY compact the soil!

On the other hand, as rough as parts of the yard look, I'd be tempted to use a box blade on the worst aeras, just shave off the peaks and allow the blade to do its thing filling in the low spots. Then roll, plug, drag, and reseed any areas that need it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
One method I've used is to get a few loads of topsoil or whatever you might use there, And spread it out over the grass and pull a float across. This should fill in the divots and holes and leave the general contour the same. The grass will grow through it and you can also overseed. You may have to do this a few times, but it should get smoother each time, or a combination of this and as the others have mentioned.
Good luck,
Jake

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
The part of Colorado I'm in is desert and I've got decent coverage of scrub grass and many other things. It's 2.5 acres, but mowing is a bear because between the grass clumps the soil (read: sand) has eroded, causing much of the yard to be undrivable... well not undrivable, but without suspension, it's certainly turns the seat into a bucking bronco no matter how slow I drive-

I've tried going really really slow, taking several hours to mow and it doesn't really help anything- still kills my back, just not as insane of a ride.

So, the big question is, what can I do to level things out without doing all new grass or sod?

(note I can barely stay on tractor at the very top of video- even though it's small you can see my arm flail...)
How many years are you willing to commit to this effort?...:D
Aeration and chisel point harrows will accomplish what you want but it will takes years...:rolleyes:

The quickest solution is to Harley Rake the property and reseed...;)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
The quickest solution is to Harley Rake the property and reseed...;)
True, but that was not given as an option.
You might be surprised how well a heavy roller at the right time might take the worst of it out. The rest will come in time. Top dressing can help as well if you apply it thin enough so as not to kill the grass.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The part of Colorado I'm in is desert and I've got decent coverage of scrub grass and many other things. It's 2.5 acres, but mowing is a bear because between the grass clumps the soil (read: sand) has eroded

Hey that sounds like my yard! My yard is deep sand which is prone to erosion. A friend of mine made a roller which I use following a rain. It seems to help a lot. I also have gophers which causes the yard to be rough. I also have a chain-link fence drag that I use to knock down the gopher mounds. It is a constant battle and I hate cutting my yard. I would rather take a beating than cut the grass.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I imagine you've already adjusted your tires' air pressure down to minimum. This helps a bit on my rough mowing area.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree that the fill and drag method sounds like the best solution. I imagine that it will take an application perhaps twice a year in spring and fall over a span of two or three years as you will need to build it up slowly, but I think overall it will be more effective than rolling.

JN

·
Registered
114 Posts
A heavy roller will compact the soil. Preventing water and oxygen absorbtion.

Rent a box blade or a heavy drag harrow. Or a few truck loads of top soil and manual labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts