My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at all the recent photos of John Deere tractors, something I repeatly see, no bumper / brushguard. When I ordered my JD X300 I ordered both a bumper and Brushguard (still waiting for delievery) figuring I would need all the protection I can get to protect the plastic front from damage. Perhaps you really don't need them for the older JD that are all heavy metal, but I beleive it's a nessessity for the newer equipment.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think the most damage to the hood will be done when it is in the open position. I already had it slam shut by the wind when I was getting a rag to check the oil. I thought about the bumper but it kind of reminds me of a rear spoiler and hood scoop on a Civic, looks good but no real function.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
looks good but no real function

the bumper I had on the L120 sure saved my plastic hood when I was running the tractor into the trees, as I was trying to mow that extra 1-2 inches of weeds at the fringe.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My 135 came with the bumper but I would have gotten one anyway....only have to use it once to make it worthwhile...lol :00000060:

·
JD318
990 Posts
I think all tractors should really have one, hoods are pretty expensive to fix or replace. That being said, I don't have one.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
I volunteer either my MIL, Tigerlady, or her son GunBoy AKA Dorkman; to sit on any tractor front end and absorb any and all impacts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have one on my 115 and will order a brushguard for a X320 when I order it.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
I think all tractors should really have one, hoods are pretty expensive to fix or replace. That being said, I don't have one.
LOL from the look of your avatar picture, you have something better, a front blade. :fing32:

~F~

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
With the plastic hoods I wouldn't be without one. Cheap insurance as a hood will cost ya an arm & a leg. slkpk

·
Registered
873 Posts
With the plastic hoods I wouldn't be without one. Cheap insurance as a hood will cost ya an arm & a leg. slkpk
The Brush Guard and a bumper? How much would that run for my x520? Thanks

:fing32:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Brush guard is $111. Don't think bumper is avaliable on X5xx series, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Picked my LX a few weeks ago and bought the guard without asking the cost. (Not the typical me.) I used the excuse I have an 18 year old that mows, but I was just as afraid it might be me to introduce the front to one of our trees!

Whatever the cost was I'm sure it's quite a bit less than a new hood!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Picked my LX a few weeks ago and bought the guard without asking the cost. (Not the typical me.) I used the excuse I have an 18 year old that mows, but I was just as afraid it might be me to introduce the front to one of our trees!

Whatever the cost was I'm sure it's quite a bit less than a new hood!

I was going to put a bumper on my LX277 when I bought it in 2003 but I did not like the price tag.Around $100.00 best I can remember?Also I did not like the exaust reflector that had to be added.Seemed like a mistake in enginnering to block the exaust and have to add a supplied deflector.

I plan to add a bumper to my X320 $55.00 sounds more like it.But I have not checked if it mounts in front of the exaust?If so I will pass it up again.I like the Brush gaurd look but having to fold it down to open the hood seems like a pain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I brought the Bumper and Brush guard when I ordered the tractor a over month ago. I got the tractor within a week, but I'm still waiting for both bumpers. The Dealer said they have the one in, still waiting for the other to come in. I'm guessing most people dont get them so they don't make enough of them. Both bumpers combined added $200 to the cost of the tractor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts