My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/grd/1180348476.html
Here is the add if it's still up

Well last night I responded to a brand new add for a 2004 GT5000 w/ 54" deck, 3 hopper hard bagger and 26 hp . (B&S I guess) Seller states it needs a starter and he knows nothing else but I could own a $2500 machine for $500. Hmmmm .. I heard back from the seller around 9pm and he sais he still has it. I responded that I would call him on my lunch brake thursday afternoon. I called him at 12:15 pm and we agreed I'd be there between 5-6pm today. I got to his house at 5:20pm as agreed and he wasn't home. He had a bunch of dogs barking in the house so I didn't dare go in the back yard to see the machine. I called him and asked if he was home. "No", and " I sold the tractor"!!! I was so ******, I hung up before I said something real bad. I've sold stuff on CL before and always gave people the courtesy of 1st response gets first look and 2nd etc. This bum sold it out from under me because someone showed up during the day after he made the appointment with me. I guess I just figured this chump was honorable. I could see it if I was beating around the bush and playing games but I was direct and kept my end of the bargain. Oh well , I feel better now anyway. Take care folks...:trink39:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,326 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I guess he didn't know the meaning of Honor.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As a general rule if someone is foolish enough to sell something so cheaply they are too foolish to have any common courtesy.

Chris

·
Registered
901 Posts
No big deal since he has poor courtesy he may havepoor ethics as well and be selling a machine with a lot more issues. I would be hesitant to shell out even $500 on a machine that won't start. Who knows if he is hiding something else.

·
Administrator
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No big deal since he has poor courtesy he may havepoor ethics as well and be selling a machine with a lot more issues. I would be hesitant to shell out even $500 on a machine that won't start. Who knows if he is hiding something else.
I was suspect too! But for the money I figured it was worth a look. I went over to see it with my tool box, compression gage, and test light to find out as much as possible about this too good to be true deal. No harm in looking, just ticked off that he didn't honor the arrangement. I had my trailer and $$ if it was a diamond. Take care..:trink39:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Win sum/lose sum.
He should have called you and said he sold it earlier in the day. I have had alot of calls setting up times where nobody shows and no call either. It's not always easy selling stuff, never know who or what to expect.
Everything I've sold has gone smoothly though so far.
Of course, I've always sold stuff in good to mint condition so folks know what they're looking for and getting.

MU

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
Bosox,I'd say its typical of many folks behavior around here....people just dont care about anyone else but themselves..if it were me I'd have told the other guy I already had someone coming to look,and if he was insistant on buying it for more money sight unseen,I'd at least have had the courtesy to call you and ask if you'd mind if I sold it before you could get to look at it..

I saw a Craftsman GT5000 on CL this morning in North Dartmouth MA ,for FREE--with a triple bagger--19.5 HP "doesn't run,dont know why--just want it gone!"..I called at 9 am today,but it had been listed at 9 PM last night and was long gone..at least the guy answered his phone and told me its no longer available--so many times I get an answering machine or it just rings off the hook,and they dont delete the ad either!..

Lets hope that jerk was selling a peice of scrap,and the guy who bought it gives him a beating if it doesn't live up to his expectations..!..like Earl says,"Karma"..what goes around,comes around!..I'm sure there be another tractor for you to look at posted on CL soon,dont sour on it just because of one jerk,I've met many decent people and got some good deals from them on CL,though I've had to deal with some outright morons too..guess its just the way people are around here..

·
Registered
129 Posts
He who hesitates is lost. Count your blessings. You're probably better off. (But it would have been fun to repair it.) Stop complaining and move on!!!

Oh, yea. The guy's an A-hole!!!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
T-A......thanks for that info, you saved me phone call.
BFD......looks lilke I gotta add another sity to my Craigslist daily search list.
BO......start going to yard sales this weekend in your area. People need to mow the lawns around here now and find out that their tractors won't start. They go out and buy new ones, and they can't get the mower store to take the older ones. That's how I scored my 2006 LT1000 last weekend that only needed gas to run. The guy said, 'if you can move it, it's yours'. Number 3 and counting...

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
My late son and I had a side business of buying, fixing, and selling vintage British motorcycles. We have moved around 50 bikes over a 10 year period. The number of times someone didn't show was a bit disappointing. That was even after they said they wanted the bike held for them. We developed the philosophy that "MONEY TALKS AND BS WALKS". Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the first person to arrive, look at the bike, and pay my price; got the prize. The most fun was when we would end up with two people standing on the driveway bidding on a bike. That happened two times.

I did not use Craigs list or any online site for selling them.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
I'm finding it hard to get any deals here lately,on CL or yard sales,etc..Lowes and Home Depot both have programs that accept old tractors from customers buying new ones now,as an incentive to buy one there--from what I hear,even store employees cant get hold of them,they are picked up weekly and disposed of at scrap dealers..once they get beyond the gates there,they are off limits too..:( How many folks buying a brand new tractor will go to the bother of listing their old one on CL,and have to put up with phone calls and e-mails,etc,when they wont have to lift a finger to have it disposed of ?..not many I bet..

I did see a few "parts only" tractors in North Attleboro today on CL,but they were listed last night..so I didn't bother e-mailing to ask about them..with guys sitting at coffee shops with laptops scanning CL's "Free" ads for scrap metal just about 24/7 here,it doesn't give the average person much of a chance..besides,my pickup is in such poor shape I wouldn't trust driving ot there,with its exhaust rotted off and hardly any brakes..

E2Q,your lucky to find anyone who'll give anything away here,especially a 3 year old tractor--most people want me to PAY 20-50 bucks for a worthless rusted siezed up hulk,when I stop and ask about one I've seen sitting for months to years anywhere..but I do see others getting real nice things free,I guess its who you know and being in the right place at the right time..

I'd like to get a "beater" tractor just to mow with ,so I can take my time restoring the Suburbans,instead of having to throw them together hastily..might sell my MTD reasonably too,rather than fix it..I'm finding out I dont have the ability or ambition to fix all the things I own like I used too any more..

·
Registered
704 Posts
That is why I don't even bother looking at ads from Mass or near the Mass border. It takes me 1-2 hours to get there. I did that 3 years ago (when gas was reasonable) buying snowblowers. More often than not, they were sold 1/2 hour before I got there even tho he knew I was coming and what time I would be there. I just can't trust anyone from out of state anymore.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Here is the deal, having bought and sold tons of stuff online and in classifieds.

You put something up for sale, you may get 20 calls the first day, people make appointments for when it is convienient for them to look at it. 1 of those appointments MIGHT show up to tire kick and needle you down on price.

First one to show up with cash in hand, takes it home, end of story.

If Im selling something, and the first person to call makes an appointment for 24 hours from then, and I have 3 people with CASH look at it in the mean time...but I wait for person 1, and he offers 100 dollars less than asking price, then walks away....I learn fast.

Ive learned from dozens and dozens of deals that the early bird does in fact get the work, and more importantly...MONEY TALKS, and BULLSH*T WALKS.

You call me and tell me you want it, you have the money, and will be there in 1 hr to get it...Ill hold it for you..but Im not holding it 2-3 days, **** no.

·
Administrator
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Red, I've sold a bunch of stuff myself. I was not going to live or die on the sale so I was patient to some extent with people. I did not make the guy wait 2 days on me. I heard back from him at 9pm and got a hold of him the day after on my lunch brake. He still had it at 12:20pm. I was there at 5:20 to get it. How the heck is that an inconvenience? It's over and I don't give a hoot but you can't make me believe what he did was right. No offense , just my opinion. Take care...

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Ya know......there is a silver lining to almost everything, they say.
I got my first tractor just before the first snow last year. Worked out great. It made snow shovelng fun again.
I got my second tractor just before spring mowing season.
I got my third tractor just before summer season.
The second and third tractor haven't cut a blade of grass yet. The gas tanks haven't felt the presence of fuel. In fact, they both sit under separate tarps in the back yard in some manner of being taken apart for repair.
The silver lining.....only have to buy enough fuel for one tractor, and that one won't move until next winter. It still has the plow and chains on it.
With the economy the way it is, they'll be better deals coming along from people that have lost jobs and have to pay the mortgage. First things to go are the 'toys'.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Red, I've sold a bunch of stuff myself. I was not going to live or die on the sale so I was patient to some extent with people. I did not make the guy wait 2 days on me. I heard back from him at 9pm and got a hold of him the day after on my lunch brake. He still had it at 12:20pm. I was there at 5:20 to get it. How the heck is that an inconvenience? It's over and I don't give a hoot but you can't make me believe what he did was right. No offense , just my opinion. Take care...
Im not saying what he did was right, but it was an extremely smart business decision.

If he turns 3 people away and never hears from you again...:trink39:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts