My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this at the junkyard... To good to let it get cut up...
Humm... Lets see what can I make out of this....

Hummm......

Well this is what I started with...

This is what I did so far...

Many more pictures to come as I build... The engine will be a Yamaha 400 street bike engine...
The frame is a 1987 Yamaha golf cart...

·
Still plays with tractors
2,285 Posts
Lookin good Kevin, but I have a question. What ever happened to the little steam tractor? Is it done and I missed it?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only big kid here:sidelaugh.

Nice roll bar Mr. Kevin.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
Looks good Kevin!..tell me,why cant they use a steering box like that on a garden tractor???..I never liked "open gear" steering on them,I think they are weak and failure prone..

Looks like a beefy tranny on that thing..are you going to use the torque converter or will the new engine have a manual tranny made onto it (I'm assuming its a motorcycle engine?)..thing should ride nice with full suspension..

·
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Club garden tractors and Powerking do use a gearbox like that for the steering...
I sure there is many more of the upper line that use them. I think I remember them in Johndeere also... My engine is a 400 cc Yamaha street bike engine with standard shift... Thats the way I want it... I like burning tires... The bike would do flat out 110 mph. I'm gearing it down about 1/3rd so I'll have plenty of power.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Looks like a project to me!! Only advice I have,is built it as wide as you can & driver as low as possible.Sure you already thought of that anyway.Never fails to amaze me reading about rollovers on mowers going on the side of a hill--my Exmark is so wide (wheel base) that it just slides if hill is too steep.Same thing w/fast gocarts--their right on the ground and very wide.Lord knows spinning around is a heap gooder than flipping over!!:trink39:

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
How are you gonna hook the pedals to the gearbox????? :sidelaugh

·
Banned
465 Posts
There's a guy near me that has one of these in his front yard; I don't know if he's looking to get rid of it or what, but, I just might stop in the next day or so and see. The shape that it's in, I wouldn't pay over $50.

That's gotta be a fun buggy. What are you doing for reverse or doesn't it have it?

Bob

·
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reverse is in the diferencial so I will have 5 speeds forward and 5 in reverse...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I built one similar some 3 years ago with a 650cc Kawasaki Ninja eangine. Real wild ride. Rode it twice than wife made me sell before I hospitalized myself. You'll have fun with it,build looks good so far.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
You may want to add a side scoop for air cooling, once you have a seat in place, you will not get too much air flow over the motor.

Sweet build! But what ever did happen to the steam-like tractor?

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
Nice, add some wings and it'll fly...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts