My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know enough about building computers and systems just to be dangerous! LOL. I have 5 pc's in my home all netwoked on a backup server running Windows Home Server.

In the past I would put PDF's of Service Manuals, Tech videos, etc in a folder and give MTF users a password to retrieve them.

Due to the large amount of data request I want to build a DEDICATED FTP server. I want each user to have its own password when logging in. Can you guys recommend a food Free FTP program out there..

I have been researching Filezilla a bit. I tend to be leaning this way. I have the server sitting on the shelf just waiting for your response!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
do you have the bandwidth to support several users at once and give them decent speeds? Cute FTP, WS FTP, filezilla, fling ftp.... there's a bunch out there.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont expect several users at once...what i do expect is a poster such as yourself is looking for an electrical schematic or other non copyrighted Technical information- I could pm them and tell them the schematic is located on my FTP server under a folder i created in thier name. I also make service videos for people.

Out of all of them that you have suggested which do you recommend? I kind of like Filezilla as they supply a free FTP Client. I dont think people want to buy an FTP client if thier are free ones out there...

What I am wondering though is I have a DHCP and not a static IP will this make a difference..

Thanks for your help... after working on engines for 30 years I have often thought of a new career in puter repair, but I hear there is no money in that either! I guess i just like assembling several components at a time to make a working unit....weather an engine or puter!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
well there's a few things you can do...

There's programs such as dynamic DNS and DNS2go (something like that). That automatically update your IP and FTP, they give you a DNS name instead of an IP address.

Another thing, I don't know if you're willing to spend any money, but have you thought about a cheap web hosting package from some place like godaddy or 1&1? That way you're not wasting your bandwidth and compromising your own systems.

One more thing to think about... :) Have you looked at the legality issues of providing owner's manuals? I know tons and tons of people do it, but a lot of them are doing it illegally. A lot of companies want you to pay for a replacement manual if you loose yours. That's something you may want to look into.

I just turned 30 and I've been working in IT since I was 15, so I guess I can say half my life has been spent on it. I've found the only way you make money in IT is how much of a headache you're willing to put up with, then the money isn't worth it! :)

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
One more thing to think about... :) Have you looked at the legality issues of providing owner's manuals? I know tons and tons of people do it, but a lot of them are doing it illegally. A lot of companies want you to pay for a replacement manual if you loose yours. That's something you may want to look into.
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Manual" Poor choice of words... Non Copyrighted Technical Information! I have received my spanking this morning! OUCH!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I will tell you one thing that I would love to see and you don't see much of it. Step by step guides with "real" pictures, not factory drawings. Where you are new to computers, I'm pretty much new to small engines. Sites like MTF have taught me more than I could have ever imagined, but still, trying to read a service manual that is for the most part generic isn't always the best.

I don't think you'd have any problems with non copyrighted material, but I would seriously consider a 3rd part hosting company. I think godaddy and 1&1 have stuff with your own domain name and FTP starting around $5 a month.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do i have a deal for you!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
DNS: I've been using dyndns.com for my dynamic IP issue... my router automatically updates dyndns, but you can install a free program on your FTP server, if you like.

FTP: My Synology NAS devices have FTP servers built in, so I currently use them. Prior to that, I used Quick 'n Easy FTP Server because of its reliability, quick and easy to setup, and simplicity... took only a couple minutes to setup 5 accounts, including user-specific folders and shared folders. It's freeware or $$$ upgrade for more features. I used v2.. they're now on v3.2.

My brother uses Mozilla's FTP server and is happy with it.\

I use Sprint Cellular for my internet because DSL and cable modem are not available here & satellite had too much latency time for me). Therefore I use GoDaddy to host all my MTF pics and files & my mobile disc jockey website.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Ja, you can setup FileZilla FTP on a Windows box but it will get hammered by scumbags trying to hack into it. I setup my FTP server on a linux box and use fail2ban to stop the scumbags.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,935 Posts
I will tell you one thing that I would love to see and you don't see much of it. Step by step guides with "real" pictures, not factory drawings. Where you are new to computers, I'm pretty much new to small engines. Sites like MTF have taught me more than I could have ever imagined, but still, trying to read a service manual that is for the most part generic isn't always the best.
Hmmmmm.... I LOVE doing "step" documentation (illustrated is even better....) AND I'm a web-geek ("nothing but the finest, hand-crafted HTML, since 1995!")... My problem is, I don't have any of the cool things to DO step-by-step documentation OF, nor do I have many of those skills... YET! Sounds like a really good excuse to hit LTGal up to let me buy some more cool stuff! Lets see.... We'll start with:
"LTGuy does Welding, Step By Step"
closely followed by
"Illustrated Emergency First Aid by LTGal":thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
illustrated emergency first aid... that's funny. Half way through you pass out from blood loss. Recovery is in the second webinar.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Linux.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hae no clue what Linux is! Is it an operating system i can put on my spare pc box? Is it simple...Sounds like i need to explore?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I hae no clue what Linux is!
Well... at least you know how to spell it. Here is how you pronounce it.

http://digg.com/story/r/Linus_Torvalds_says_linux_wav

There are lots of distros out there, some of which are easy to install. I chose Debian which is generally not considered one of the easy ones.

I think though that FTP is more complex than what is needed. A simple web site would be easier and could host files for download.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,935 Posts
I think though that FTP is more complex than what is needed. A simple web site would be easier and could host files for download.
I agree... FTP is a dying service, really, because you can just throw the files up on a web page... PROVIDED that you're not requiring authenticated logins. THAT gets a BIT more complicated on a web page unless either YOU are familiar with setting up .htaccess files (on Apache) or your ISP provides some authentication method for their pages... In EITHER case, what you'll find (if you want authenticated logins) the BIG PITA is having to provide passwords to all your users... then providing them again when they forget them.... THEN providing them AGAIN when they forget them again! :)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Providing passwords for FTP is not much different. The thing is I use fail2ban to block the scumbag hackers but it also blocks my users that can't remember their password.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I agree... FTP is a dying service, really, because you can just throw the files up on a web page... PROVIDED that you're not requiring authenticated logins. THAT gets a BIT more complicated on a web page unless either YOU are familiar with setting up .htaccess files (on Apache) or your ISP provides some authentication method for their pages... In EITHER case, what you'll find (if you want authenticated logins) the BIG PITA is having to provide passwords to all your users... then providing them again when they forget them.... THEN providing them AGAIN when they forget them again! :)
first things first, let's not confuse him too much :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
You need to get a hosting package. Hosting a home server for web content is a real PITA compared to the simplicity of shared hosting.

I use http://www.dreamhost.com for hosting a few of my personal domains.

I've got an image uploader at http://www.xcelluploader.com that is pretty handy. There's probably 50 or so people who use it right now without a hiccup.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'd recommend one of the Ubuntu distros (which will run fine on even the oldest equipment if you get the correct distro).

Chances are your ISP lets you have some space for a web page and some small amount of storage. Great hassle free place for your web page.

Youtube lets you have some control over sharing, so it may be a good place for your videos.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts