My Tractor Forum banner

Building a trailer, and...

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ClassicMotion 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed how much expanded metal has gone up in price? I guess it's not that much of a shock considering what scrap sells for these days, but it's still unnerving.

I bought a boat trailer with a single 3800lb torsion axle and began ripping into it to make a 6x14 landscape/light car trailer. Frame is 3/16" wall 4x3". I have already welded 3/16" wall 2" angle across the floors, and done away with the boat bunks and dipping cross bars in favor of 3/16" wall 4" angle in the rear and 3/16" wall 3.5 square stock foreward of the axle. The bulkhead the same 2" angle as the floor, and the side guardrails are 1.5" angle.

My intention is to use 9ga expanded metal instead of lumber to keep the weight down and not need to drill holes for carriage bolts and weaken the angle iron. Cheapest I'm finding is $92 per 4x8' new, and I'm not finding any used. For temporary I'm considering putting down plywood and shackling it to the angle with exhaust clamps. It'll be ugly as sin, but functional until mesh flooring is found.

Here's pics of the trailer before I began cutting and welding. Yanking the boat off was worth the project altogether.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Drilling 1/4" holes for bolts ,will not weaken 2"angle iron enough to worry about. I built a 5x10 trailer out of angle , with 2 ft. high walls.I put wood on the floor and walls ,used 100, 1/4 "carriage bolt to secure the wood. Have been hauling scrap metal ,fire wood and garden tractors for 6 years. I overload this trailer until the springs bottom out. Nothing has broken yet.

#5 ·
Have you used a trailer with expanded metal floor and have any experience with it?

We have a 10' ( son traded for it) with expanded metal floor. I have had nothing heavier than the mower or four wheeler on it; learned quickly I do not like the floor. It is securely welded in but has a "give" or stretch to it. I have seen others where the floor clearly was deformed. Plans are to replace the floor with either wood or aluminum ( 2x8 planks usually seen as stadium walk and seat )

The 5/4 treated decking would save weight over 2x stock but give a more sturdy floor than expanded.

#6 ·
I agree with the expanded metal stretching with floor use. 5/4" decking might be a good alternative for you. It is strong and works well.

#7 ·
I don't like the expanded metal decks. They are not all that strong as has been stated. If you want to move a refrigerator on a hand truck they really bend badly. Over time tractors and quads cause them to bend down badly between the cross bracing of the frame. They also allow dirt, mud salt and snow spray to come up under whatever you are hauling. Even rain makes a mess on everything as it carries any oil and other junk up thru the floor with it.

You can forget about keeping a tarp in place over anything. The air comes up thru the deck and makes a balloon and sail out of it.

I used the expanded metal for a few trips and then covered it with a sheet of treated 3/4" plywood. For my little 4'X6' utility trailer it is plenty strong and added very little weight.

Mike

#9 ·
I agree with the 5/4 board for decking. I made a tandem axle boat trailer into a 8x14 flat bed and it works great. I drilled holes and used 1/4" carriage bolts to hold them down. All the holes you drill are not on the strong side of the angle iron so you would be ok.

#10 ·
I have had a trailer with expanded metal flooring before. Dad and I used it for hauling dune buggys back and forth to the race track. It was fixed axle.

It all depends on where you park the wheels. It makes better sense to park on crossbraces, or the floor will stretch quickly. I have the braces spaced at 16" to limit stretch, and handle weight more effectively. I'm keeping a couple 2x8 boards around for loading several tractors, or a light car, to efficiently spread the floor load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.