My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, we have this old barn we built long long ago. Has cypress poles to hold it up. I plan to put cement down and I also want to get a lift one day. I would like to add a second floor to it. I want to expand it but don't know what to do. I want to close most of it off (wall) and maybe keep an outside part.

I need some good ideas. I also don't know what kind of lumber or nails to use. I am thinking treated lumber.

Here's some photos of it..it needs work:

·
Registered
368 Posts
First thing I would check is your poles and all the wood for dry rot and termites. If the poles check out then I would start with clearing and figuring how much it is going to cost to rebuild than to tear down and start over. Either way, you're going to outlay some money on it. If you want a loft you will have to have strong supports running cross wise, at least 2 x 6's or even I-beams, depending on how heavy a load you want. The roof would have to go, those joists are too far apart and the proper combination of the roof joists and the floor of the loft/ceiling of the lower level will add much greater stability to the whole.

Treated lumber is good, but not necessary if it will be mostly enclosed and proper siding placed over it.

I would talk to a building contractor, especially if you're on a budget like me. If you need to conserve money, build what you can when you can, with an eye towards your final goal. If you know you want a concrete slab for a floor, figure what you need and do that, and work your way up. I'm not sure, but I don't think you have enough poles to support what you want, most likely you would have to add more. Talk to your concrete man, I would think around the edges he could make it deeper for a firm foundation, then I would add cinder blocks all around that, and then 2 x 4 framing up from there. A lot depends on your frost heave potential, water flow/drainage, and other factors.

Post some more pics when you can. Would be interesting to see.

Might also want to check out this video (fast-motion) of a pole building being built from the ground up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZQKjVR9OI0

·
Super Moderator
31,824 Posts
My guess is that for what you want to do, your going to be a lot better off starting from scrach. I would fix up that building as storage, or normaly everyday working on stuff. Clean it out, fix the roof, and inspect all the wood. Dump some rock, and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I would add to the right end taking it as tall as needed to have your loft. I would also install my lift in that section and just pour floor and wall up the old part.

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am back on this project. I tore a wall down that a guy that used to rent from us made a chicken coop in one part of it. I am opening all 4 ports.
Got to rebuild the roof over the 4th port on the far right and basically rebuild the whole roof.

Now I am planning to concrete the floor though and close it all up.
How much does concrete cost?

Any ideas?

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burn it and start from scratch :thThumbsU
I can't buddy. My grandmother doesn't want me to tear it all down.

I am going to keep the post where they are though.

I'm tired of my tractor sitting in the weather (though it is under water now) :(

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tearing down the walls. Found that one pole that termites got ahold of...got to fix that.

I am going to start getting lumber for my walls. I am going to rebuild the back wall and the side wall and leave the front part open because I am thinking about adding on it later.

The side poles (2 on each side) are 16' apart and the back wall poles are 10' apart. I am thinking about getting 1x4x10 boards for the back wall and the side wall 1x4x16 (if I can find a board that long at lowes with those dimensions).

I want to go ahead and lay concrete my ownself and then build the walls.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
I'm tearing down the walls. Found that one pole that termites got ahold of...got to fix that.

I am going to start getting lumber for my walls. I am going to rebuild the back wall and the side wall and leave the front part open because I am thinking about adding on it later.

The side poles (2 on each side) are 16' apart and the back wall poles are 10' apart. I am thinking about getting 1x4x10 boards for the back wall and the side wall 1x4x16 (if I can find a board that long at lowes with those dimensions).

I want to go ahead and lay concrete my ownself and then build the walls.

Any ideas?

Thanks
If one pole has them...I expect they all have infestation...explain to your grandmother that it's going to be the FRAM OIL COMMERCIAL(Pay me now or later)...you can do the job right the first time or keep revisiting it as each pole begins to really fail...:(

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
should have used it the way it was and started off new. If your pouring concrete your wasting your money doing it to that old structure. You could have used it as cold storage for implements.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
BTW.. Before you spend a dime on this.. go pull your tractor out of that mess. The longer its in there the more of a mess you will have.

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't get my tractor out yet. It's completely flooded down that whole firebreak. I have to wait and let it dry but I don't know how long it will be.

The boards are already rotting so I am going to have to rebuild the walls.

With that shelter. I just want to build it where I can work on stuff and store stuff. Put tools and stuff in.

I am thinking about just digging all of the poles up but then again I am just thinking about digging around them and check and see if they are rotted bad.

The poles are cypress. The pole barn was built around '98.

I am going to have to redo the roof. No doubt about that.

The power company is going to give us some power poles when they ever come out here to our place (who knows when that will be).

The reason I want to concrete the floor is to keep my tires from dry rotting, keep my tools from not being buried, and keep hazardous stuff out of the ground and have a good foundation.

·
Super Moderator
31,824 Posts
Forget the 'crete. Dump about 4-5 in of crushed ruck in there and be done with it. It will keep nice and dry, and after a few years of work, it is not that bad to work on. I used a few plywood scraps to put down as a work serfice. Worked great, and a LOT cheaper then concrete!!!!

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Put down gravel not worth concrete. Build a separate structure and let grandma be happy with the dilapidated one that is unscathed.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
My Man;If you really are going thru with this re-do--Just take what will be one bay of that structure and rebuild it and see what your skill level is.I would suggest new and more of them,poles.Unless you got a friend w/the power co.don't count on free ones.Then gravel the floor,not crush-run.Then you can start from ground up with wall framing and roof repair or replacement.Once you have this under your belt,you can add or tackle the next bay.BTW,a big pour of concrete is not an easy task.Check with a local supply for pricing.They will come out and pour it cheaper than you can mix it.Trust me,this whole project will get in your pocket.That's why I say start small.:trink40:

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if yall give me the money...I will build a new one. :)

But yall ain't going to give me no money so I have to deal with what I got and that's the only thing I have to build.

I may just concrete an area and put tar paper down or rocks or something. I just want my stuff off of the dirt and don't have to worry about weeds growing up.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Well if yall give me the money...I will build a new one. :)

But yall ain't going to give me no money so I have to deal with what I got and that's the only thing I have to build.
What we are all trying to say is, that it is going to cost alot of money no matter what you do. So if your going to be spending the money you might as well just start from scratch and have a sound structure that will be safe and last a long time.
my 2 cents

·
Banned
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What we are all trying to say is, that it is going to cost alot of money no matter what you do. So if your going to be spending the money you might as well just start from scratch and have a sound structure that will be safe and last a long time.
I know buddy. I know yall trying to tell me what is best to do. I am basically going to start off from scratch. I am going to check the poles. If they are mostly good, just put diesel on em to keep them bug resistant and concrete the rest in the ground so it can stand and hold better.

I am going to have to redo the sides and the roof.

I want enough of room to put my two trucks and my tractor (so I can work on them and they are out of the weather) and put my tractor implements plus have enough of room to work on stuff (welding,etc)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts