My Tractor Forum banner

421 - 434 of 434 Posts

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,045 Posts
Pole building? When was that decided? I was sure Jere had not decided what to do yet.
I thought I was paying attention to that thread. Rats! I'll have to go back and read the last couple posts.:swow: :sidelaugh

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Truth be told, I am still working on my re-decking of a 27 year old PT deck here. I stripped the old 5/4" PT decking off more than a little while ago. With a little expert advice, I am replacing a little of the foundation structure, including a couple of the joists. This is primarily to accommodate a change in the location and direction of the stairs, but also because my expert friend has one of those little laser level lights that showed how my foundation settled, shifted, aged, or maybe just was never as level as string lines and 4' levels made it those 27 years ago. And, yes, if you think November/December is not the right season you are correct. But the TimberTech decking showed up last week:

All happening in another thread

I like to keep my projects stacked, with a couple on hot stand-by in case someone sneaks onto my property here and finishes a couple while I am off on an adventure somewhere

·
Super Moderator
31,131 Posts
I have the sneaking suspicion that Scout is giving the pole building an in-depth investigation daily!!

·
Parts collector
3,498 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Restoring some order to this thread where I have diverted from the original project. Scout and I walked down the road to place a sign for some Church events at the nearest intersection and snapped this picture of the even more limited progress since the owners have moved in. Think of Scout and I as subcontractors for the Google Street View team:

Mailbox installed, more and smoother stone installed, not as obvious, but the phone line is now connected, a little more grading and some erosion control sisal matting added. Still have that pent roof on the back to build, still have some grading equip. Not visable on this photo, still a Job Jonnie on site. But Progress!

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,478 Posts
I have never seen a forked driveway before. That means they will have two snow plow banks to deal with. I do, but mine is circular. ;)

3,090 Posts
Maybe they did that to safely enter and exit the property so they wouldn't interfere with speeding traffic. A gradual pull off and on the roadway. Instead of having a driveway perpendicular with the road.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
I have never seen a forked driveway before. That means they will have two snow plow banks to deal with. I do, but mine is circular. ;)
Maybe they did that to safely enter and exit the property so they wouldn't interfere with speeding traffic. A gradual pull off and on the roadway. Instead of having a driveway perpendicular with the road.
I have even less access to the builder now that he is rarely there. But, my observations, for what they are worth:

1. The owner couple is older (odd for me to still be able to use this reference) and will not be dealing personally with any snow or snow banks, or likely even leaving the property in snow.
  2. It is just as likely, considering how many feet of the coarse stone under the finish stone, including under that triangle, that the grading guy just ran out of stone and did this for use until they are actually ready to pave. I don't think any asphalt plants are operating for residential work this time of year, so that may be good for 6 months.
  3. There are a few folks around here who have done a split like that for ease of entry and exit, but most just pave the entire widened drive then.
I do hope to be around to provide another update at some point.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Do you have neighbors yet? Are they friendly?

Mike

Reactions: Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Well, Well, Well, here it is more or less a whole new year since my last post, and I have yet another update to offer. The owner is very friendly type guy. He is from Finland originally but been in the US for close to 60 years. Scout and I chatted with him recently, and during that chat, offered to help him with that big tree on the left side of the last picture I posted (Post #425). It died, perhaps due to root damage by all the soil moving. I finally got down there this evening with my entire line of Dolmar saws and took it down, limbed it off and bucked it up for him. It was not a difficult fall, there was nothing near the fall line. No special steering needed. Just drop and saw. I have no idea what my Finnish neighbor will do with all the wood. He has no wood burning stoves or even fireplaces. Sorry, no fresh pictures, I was working alone, and was kind of racing to get done, get a shower, and get settled in the cool A/C at home. Even Scout did not come on this trip.

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
31,131 Posts
Well, Well, Well, here it is more or less a whole new year since my last post, and I have yet another update to offer. The owner is very friendly type guy. He is from Finland originally but been in the US for close to 60 years. Scout and I chatted with him recently, and during that chat, offered to help him with that big tree on the left side of the last picture I posted (Post #425). It died, perhaps due to root damage by all the soil moving. I finally got down there this evening with my entire line of Dolmar saws and took it down, limbed it off and bucked it up for him. It was not a difficult fall, there was nothing near the fall line. No special steering needed. Just drop and saw. I have no idea what my Finnish neighbor will do with all the wood. He has no wood burning stoves or even fireplaces. Sorry, no fresh pictures, I was working alone, and was kind of racing to get done, get a shower, and get settled in the cool A/C at home. Even Scout did not come on this trip.
Always good to get some nice friendly neighbors in. I'm sure he appreciated the work you did, sort of surprised he wasn't helping you.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
He was there for moral support, and I suppose to give me someone to warn about each large branch I was going to saw next so he got out of the way.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,150 Posts
Well, maybe you might end up with it if he has no use for it. Can never have too much firewood.

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,478 Posts
Good deed, Jere. Even if he can't somehow pay you back he will probably continue to be a good neighbor.

421 - 434 of 434 Posts