My Tractor Forum banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I don’t think i’ve ever seen a rear discharge cement truck...
Here in the rural Midwest, that is about all we have.

There is a wind farm going up near here that will have 60 plus units, the base takes 800 yards of concrete per base according to a driver I talked to a couple weeks back.

I could see advantages with front and rear dump, it would be nice to have the option.

CCMoe

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
There are a lot of concrete companies here and all their trucks are rear discharge. I think because most of their business is high rise construction where as they have to back up to a tower crane bucket.
Just seems like it would be easier to pull up to it rather than back up to it so driver can see the chute in almost any situation. I can’t seem to get that through my thick skull.

2,233 Posts
Just seems like it would be easier to pull up to it rather than back up to it so driver can see the chute in almost any situation. I can’t seem to get that through my thick skull.
I always see them lined up and double parked on a job site like a high rise building they are putting up. When they pull up to the job site, the tower crane lowers his bucket to the back of the mixer. So they really don't have to back up. I see this all over my town and in DC. The trucks I see pouring a curb and sidewalks I notice a rear discharge. Its rare to see a front discharge around here.

·
Parts collector
2,959 Posts
I derailed this thread because I only had seen rear discharge ones.
The use both around here but mostly front discharge. When they are using a pump they use the rear discharge a lot but for any normal pouring they use the front discharge.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Wow, this little tangent is forcing me to go deep into the memory banks of semi-obscure things you don't consciously remember!

Growing up, all I ever saw were rear-discharge trucks.

Somewhere around 20 years ago, I began seeing the front-discharge trucks, and remember thinking that they looked really odd.

These days, I can't remember the last time I saw a rear-discharge truck. I'm sure they're still in use, because being shorter could certainly be an advantage on some job sites.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Way back when they were pouring the floors of the basement, they used a pumper to get over the walls and reach into the far corners of the floor. They used a different concrete company, but aside from paint scheme, pretty much the same front deliver truck design:

Kind of brings back old times doesen't it?

·
15,000 +posts!
19,694 Posts
There are both types of cement trucks around here,but mostly you see the rear engine pusher ones most often now--the other rear discharge ones are still in use,but not as popular as before..

When I built the quonset garege,the cement contractor that poured the floor had a rear discharge cement truck,and I about had a heart attack when the driver backed the thing right inside the building--the chute cleared to peak of the arches by about 1" !...from where I was watching,it looked like it was going to smash into the arches and crumple them..if he had been just a few inches off center,it would have!..

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #409 (Edited)
Well, While running errands with my wife yesterday we had to drive around the moving trucks. The place is now, owner - occupied. I won't be walking around their property anymore. (Which should make a few folks from all the way back at the beginning of this thread happy finally). The grading is completed, but no grass is sewn, and won't likely be till Spring. I suppose they might chop and spread a ground cover (like straw) to keep the mud at bay over the winter. The driveway is not paved, and by and large the asphalt plants are shut down for the winter around here, so they will likely be driving on stone for the rest of the winter too. I'll try to catch a picture from the road as the builder removes a couple piles of shingles and the porta-pot in the next day or so. Been a long project - first picture I posted was December 18, 2018.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That is good news, Jere39!

Now you be sure to introduce yourself to the new owners if you haven't already. I know I would be and think many others would be thrilled to have a record of the process that the house was constructed. The photography is quite good.

My house was built in 1939 and has had a number of owners since. It's a semi-famous house due to an event that happened in 2013 and the main reason I got it for so cheap. But I sure would like to know more of it's construction since it is a semi-balloon style house which is interesting in it's own right.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
That's great news, Jere! Thanks for the continuous updates throughout the build.

My house was built in 1939 and has had a number of owners since. It's a semi-famous house due to an event that happened in 2013 and the main reason I got it for so cheap.
I hope it wasn't some horrible thing like a murder. I don't believe in ghosts, but couldn't knowingly live in a house where someone died, let alone was killed.

Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
"Scout and I strolled over and talked to the general building contractor who told us it would be a large home, but go up pretty quickly as he was using modules from Excel." That is a quote from your very first post. Apparently "quickly" is a relative term. I hope that contractor isn't getting paid by the hour. On another note, I really enjoyed following this thread. Even if I don't understand some of the building practices. Sure would like to be around 50 years from now, and find out how that foundation is holding up. If I am I will send you a note, and you can check on it. Thanks Greg

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Jere I made one post in this thread. One polite post that indicated if it was my property I wouldn't like someone walking around taking pictures. I did it because I liked your posts and you and I wondered if you just never thought about that point of view. If I hadn't liked you I wouldn't have cared to ask. I like your dog, your hikes and your activities. I didn't want you getting in trouble or on the wrong foot with your new neighbor. You were Ok with what you were doing, others supported you and I respectively never posted about it in your thread again. I do lurk and read to see if anybody else ever shared my view and nobody ever posted anything agreeing with me. Public opinion sides with you. At least with people that posted on the thread.

You however occasionally fan the flame. I let your thread alone. Unless you are encouraging me to further share my views could you please just let the topic drop? I would like to go back and just enjoy your posts and MTF.

It is Thanksgiving guy. Cut me some slack and hand me the turkey neck and one of the oysters off the bird.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jere,

Thanks for ride on this build, it was interesting and I'm with BoWoggie, I would like to see the masonry work in 50 years.

CCMoe

·
We're all friends here
13,817 Posts
Jere, thanks for bringing us along on this build. If that was my house, and you offered me the construction pictures, I would jump on it.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Hey Guys, I did meet the owner months ago when they came to visit and see progress. At that time we shared email addresses, and I sent them a link to the library of pictures. I did not send them a link to this thread where we all debated the progress, and methods. So, owner has access to the pictures, though I don't know if they actually looked at them. This was a fun project to monitor. I am most disappointed that due to my own mistakes, the first couple months of posts have lost their pictures. And, now, Scout and I will need to keep our eyes out for another project we can monitor, and share.

Regards,
Jere

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
And, now, Scout and I will need to keep our eyes out for another project we can monitor, and share.
There's always the pole building you're putting up...

:hide:

Mike

·
Parts collector
2,959 Posts
401 - 420 of 428 Posts